Author Topic: 4 Great url's for Gardeners  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
4 Great url's for Gardeners
« on: March 27, 2013, 12:47:38 AM »
Vegetable resources:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vegetable/

How to Grow the Tomato and 115 Ways to Prepare it for the Table

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vegetable/carver-tomato/

Tomato Problem Solver

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vegetable/tomato-problem-solver/

Integrated Pest management

http://vegipm.tamu.edu/

There's great information at all 4 urls for preppers and gardeners. Way to much to put on a forum! :broc:
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: 4 Great url's for Gardeners
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:01:29 AM »
Thanks Ford!   I love heirloom tomatoes and have some seedlings that I planted growing in my kitchen now.  I'm expanding into heirloom beans this summer too.  I'll check all of these sites out.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:19:09 PM »
Thanks Ford!   I love heirloom tomatoes and have some seedlings that I planted growing in my kitchen now.  I'm expanding into heirloom beans this summer too.  I'll check all of these sites out.

I'll be putting my new plants in the ground this weekend. We're staying away from zucchini and melon this year in favor of a lot of tomato's, onion, sweet peppers, and okra (all heirloom, of course!).
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:13:07 PM »
WoW! That was an older thread....out of the past.

I harvested almost 2 bushels of tomatoes this year, and we have a screen door sized drying rack full of onions. Okra is growing and producing real well as are a variety of peppers. Napa cabbage didn't do too well. The chickens discovered them and ate them to the ground.
 I'm working on clearing out my garden and prepping for the fall crops.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
We had way too much rain in June, and I fear it did a number on my squash. I may be the only person in America who hasn't gotten any zucchini. We've been contenting ourselves with green beans, arugula and chard. The tomatoes aren't doing well, either.  **nononono*

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »
We had way too much rain in June, and I fear it did a number on my squash. I may be the only person in America who hasn't gotten any zucchini. We've been contenting ourselves with green beans, arugula and chard. The tomatoes aren't doing well, either.  **nononono*

I thought it was difficult to grow in the high temps we've been experiencing in central Texas.  Perhaps you should concentrate on cooler weather plants like cabbage, collard, brussel sprouts.

No zucchini? There are laws against that, y'know  :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:13:51 PM by Ford289HiPo »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 10:24:42 PM »

We've had the same weather here, and July was the coolest I can remember in my lifetime.  I've only gotten a few zucchinis, usually I am swamped.  My tomatoes are slow ripening & not getting a bumper crop there either.  I had a little problem earlier in the season - discovered deer hoof prints in the tomato bed - the little bugger ate the tops off of a bunch of the plants!  Also, I had to build a netted "tent" over my beans because of the deer and rabbits eating the tender shoots!

:dammit:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 07:40:14 AM »
Yeah, it's possible the deer are sneaking in (jumping over the fence, that is), though I haven't seen their footprints. Could be rabbits or groundhogs, but something chomped down my soybeans and, just yesterday, the lettuce.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »
What kills me is that the critters don't seem to be bothering my neighbor's garden as much as they do mine.  I've finally come to the conclusion that since my garden is all heirloom varieties - that my vegetables taste better than my neighbor's!

Darn wabbits!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »
I tend to think the deer are leaving things alone, as I mixed up a batch of stinky stuff and sprayed it on the fence posts and around the fence. They always ate my hosta to the nubs, but after I sprayed the stinky stuff on what was left of the plants, the deer have avoided them and the hosta have come back gloriously. Blend together three eggs, 1 T. garlic, 1 tsp. hot sauce, and water, put in a spray bottle and spritz your plants.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 09:09:56 AM »
Thanks Mountaineer, I'll try that.  I was beginning to think that maybe I should get my husband to pee around the border of the garden - to "mark" our territory.........on second thought, maybe your method is better!

:beer:

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »
Blend together three eggs, 1 T. garlic, 1 tsp. hot sauce, and water, put in a spray bottle and spritz your plants.

I tried that once and the spray nozzle kept clogging. do you have a technique to keep it clear?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf