Author Topic: Favorite Show Tunes! [Stage and Movie Productions Welcomed]  (Read 8069 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Favorite Show Tunes! [Stage and Movie Productions Welcomed]
« on: March 24, 2013, 03:29:54 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZeGOsR9IA

"Thought about committing suicide in Buffalo....but thought that would be redundant!"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:11:36 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: Favorite Show Tunes!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:32:14 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:37:13 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:41:46 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 03:42:51 am »

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:32:47 am »
Excellent choices, DCPatriot, and I am quite glad you started a thread devoted to show tunes.

For my first contribution I am going all the way back to the 50s and this piece from "Carousel" a song I not only enjoy for itself but which also brings back pleasant memories for me as did the Tommy Edwards' songs you added. And, yes, that is a very young Shirley Jones (Julie).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYDhnedlmI
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:12:56 am by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 07:21:41 am »
I saw Phantom in LA and in New York.. my  favorite of all the plays I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZDcSrODALQ

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:15:09 am »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Allegra

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 10:19:35 pm »
A thread right up my alley! I'm a total musical theater geek and grew up hearing Rogers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Lowe and all of the other classics like "Showboat," "Oliver!" and "Kismet." Love the early Lloyd-Weber stuff too.

I can't post anything on here right now, but my absolute favorite is "Man of La Mancha." I even had a cat I named Dulcinea.  (The lyrics to that song are so beautiful.)

Love this thread!
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 10:30:24 pm »
The original 'show tunes'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w9yJdkeryI
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 10:41:36 pm »
all of the other classics like ..."Kismet."

Ah, glad you mentioned that since my next selection is from that show. I already posted it once as an instrumental but this is the version from the movie.

Incidentally, in line with some other comments elsewhere, it's now hard to believe about 60 years later, but this song was once the most popular in the USA, #1 on the hit parade as we say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0c3od7KynE

Those singing are Vic Damone & Ann Blyth.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:47:52 pm by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 11:38:41 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 11:51:58 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 12:02:59 am »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 12:05:31 am »
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:06:01 am by Rapunzel »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 12:05:47 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI_Oe-jtgdI

Ya got trouble!  - The Music Man

Online DCPatriot

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 12:10:57 am »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 12:14:25 am »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 12:17:35 am »
This is actually a play where I preferred the movie... Topol was outstanding IMHO and the scenery gave you more a sense of the angst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:20:36 am by Rapunzel »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 12:21:30 am »
Thanks, Rap....couldn't for the life of me, remember the name of the musical that "If I were a Rich Man" was from.   :patriot: 

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:23:19 am by DCPatriot »

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 01:31:20 am »
My we are getting some good stuff on here. Great idea, DC Patriot.

For my next contribution I turn to the world of opera (sort of) and present "The Barber of Seville" (sort of).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Htv1t6sUU
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:32:47 am by Cincinnatus »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 01:38:57 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl9WMIPzd6w

How could we forget this one?   25+ million views