Author Topic: Ready for the apocalypse! One American family shows what it takes to prepare for the end of civilisation as we know it  (Read 2128 times)

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline Rapunzel

Something very interesting - at least to me. I had to go out to Walmart today. As I was walking up the side aisle between the meat department and the vegie department a shelf full of large cans caught my attention out of the side of my eye so I went back to look and they are selling a full selection of "Emergency Rations"  including canned powdered honey (which I have NEVER seen before ).. just anything that could be canned and saved for a long period of time and re-hydrated with water they are now offering  - at least at our store.

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
Since I'm in a huge metro area, the most vital survival item might be a plan and resources, to get to a location better suited to be self sufficient.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Very foolish, showing anyone other than family what you have stashed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

Very foolish, showing anyone other than family what you have stashed.
Yes. We shouldn't be sharing whether we have supplies of food or ammunition - or how much, for that matter.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
Does anyone among these three million survivalists stop to wonder whether life might be worth living under certain conditions?
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yes. We shouldn't be sharing whether we have supplies of food or ammunition - or how much, for that matter.

I admire the survivalists who talk in general terms about what is needed in various situations - kartographer, for example gives a ton of information without ever breaking opsec. The first family featured in this article on the other hand are selling you something - and I don't trust salesmen.
I am in favor of publicly declaring a small reserve of food - it means the confiscators are less likely to look further if they think they know what you have.

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
Does anyone among these three million survivalists stop to wonder whether life might be worth living under certain conditions?

It is human nature to try to survive under any condition. Think about all the survivors of the concentration camps or killing fields. As long as there is a glimmer of hope, people will try.

famousdayandyear

O/T:  But all that comes to mind is: how long did it take to set up that shot?

Offline Rapunzel

In the animal world the strong cull the weak, it is part of nature.  I feel like we are coming to something along those lines now.  Was a time in America we survived because we knew how to hunt, fish, grow our own food. now too many are surviving because some one else is taking car of all their needs.  They are the ones who I suspect will not survive... and to be blunt if you look at it coldly that may be a good thing.  You can only prop up the weak for so long.  Will it be pleasant to go through?  Probably not.  Ask the poor who went through the depression.. in the end many of them did better than the wealthy who ended up putting a gun in their mouth because they didn't know how to be poor and self sufficient.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:05:32 PM by Rapunzel »

Offline DCPatriot

You MUST strive to survive.....if only to propagate the human species, uh, ......er, never mind!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
I suppose you guys are right, but when I look at some of these survivalists it seems to me to be more of a religious cult than something grounded in reality.  The fact is, if the country were to default on its debt the universities, freeways, government institutions and other infrastructure would be there.  Only the debt would be gone.  Countries like Argentina have been through it already and while people were massively inconvenienced, there were no marauding bands of gangsters in the streets and no one resorted to cannibalism.  Today, Argentina looks none the worse for wear.

Yes, there is going to be pain as a result of our living beyond our means.  But it is not coming anytime soon and it is much more likely to happen incrementally rather than all at once.  I would not be betting everything I had against the establishment.  They will do everything within their power to preserve themselves, and there are a lot of arrows in the quiver yet to be tried.  The smart investor does what the character Rhett Butler did in GWTW.  He played both sides against the middle so that no matter who won the civil war, he'd come out smelling like a rose.  In a word, diversify, diversify, diversify.  Or is that three words?
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
I suppose you guys are right, but when I look at some of these survivalists it seems to me to be more of a religious cult than something grounded in reality.  The fact is, if the country were to default on its debt the universities, freeways, government institutions and other infrastructure would be there.  Only the debt would be gone.  Countries like Argentina have been through it already and while people were massively inconvenienced, there were no marauding bands of gangsters in the streets and no one resorted to cannibalism.  Today, Argentina looks none the worse for wear.

Yes, there is going to be pain as a result of our living beyond our means.  But it is not coming anytime soon and it is much more likely to happen incrementally rather than all at once.  I would not be betting everything I had against the establishment.  They will do everything within their power to preserve themselves, and there are a lot of arrows in the quiver yet to be tried.  The smart investor does what the character Rhett Butler did in GWTW.  He played both sides against the middle so that no matter who won the civil war, he'd come out smelling like a rose.  In a word, diversify, diversify, diversify.  Or is that three words?

I see what you are saying and can't disagree. What do they live for now. They are obsessed with the worst case scenarios and don't live for every other possibility in life, including normalcy.  How do they prepare for just an economic downturn or drastic change in how the economy works? How do they prepare if the economy booms and the train leaves them behind? How do they prepare if we just slip into a 'lost decade' of Japan? 

I find it funny they do always compare our economic potential to Weimar Germany instead of Japan or Argentina.  The circumstances are much closer to those than they were Weimar. In that example, there were so many external trade restrictions and restrictions on the supply chain that the inflation was greatly compounded. Maybe for another thread.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I suppose you guys are right, but when I look at some of these survivalists it seems to me to be more of a religious cult than something grounded in reality.

Some are, for certain, they seem to be actively looking forward to everything being smashed. There are extremes in everything and the people at the extremes make for good TV.
Though survivalist and prepper tend to be used interchangeably, they actually have distinct meanings.
A prepper prepares for problems: a bad storm, local riots, a spell of unemployment - they make sure they have enough on hand to be merely mildly inconvenienced.
A survivalist, on the other hand, prepares for the collapse of society or global disaster. They are mostly a direct result of the strains of the 50's to 70's, with the constant threat of someone pushing the button. Growing up in that period certainly colored my approach to prepping.

There is merit in both approaches.

In an all out collapse or huge disaster you are of course correct - the infrastructure will be there. For a while. It needs maintaining and if no one does that it will collapse in short order. To give one concrete example from the area where I live - a chunk of road was blocked off. The bits it served had been given to the borough council as a park. The road was only used by park employees and walkers and now, a mere 15 years later, the road is gone. Just a gravelly track through the woods.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf