Author Topic: Biased Loans by Auto Dealers to Bring Bank Suits by CFPB  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Biased Loans by Auto Dealers to Bring Bank Suits by CFPB
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:03:30 pm »
Remember (how could you forget?) the mortgage collapse brought to us by the likes of Barney Frank due to his and others demands banks end "discriminatory" home lending policies, i.e., give loans to people who were totally unqualified to have them?
Are we now due to see a repeat in the auto industry?

"U.S. banks may be sued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau if they fund discriminatory vehicle loans made by auto dealers, according to new guidance released by the agency.

Banks are legally liable for unfair lending under the Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974, the CFPB said yesterday in a statement. The fact that the improper decisions may be made by auto dealers -- who are exempt from consumer bureau oversight -- doesn’t absolve lenders of responsibility for resulting racial disparities, the agency said.

“We cannot afford to tolerate practices, intentional or not, that unlawfully price out or exclude whole segments of the population from the credit markets,” Richard Cordray, the agency’s director, said today in a Washington speech."

In addition to creating another possible lending meltdown similar to that seen earlier in mortgages, this represents a broad and intrusive extension of CFPB power.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-03-21/banks-to-be-held-liable-for-biased-auto-loans-under-cfpb-rules
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Oldbrowser

Re: Biased Loans by Auto Dealers to Bring Bank Suits by CFPB
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:25:50 am »
The auto dealers do not approve car loans.   Car loans are approved by banks and credit unions .  The dealer has the customer sign a conditional sales contract which states that  the loan is conditional based on the dealer or the customer being able to secure funding.  There are some dealerships who carry their own contracts, usually for lower priced used cars.  They usually require a very large down payment for in house financing.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:32:37 am »
The auto dealers do not approve car loans.

Who said they do?

From the article, first paragraph:

U.S. banks may be sued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau if they fund discriminatory vehicle loans made by auto dealers, according to new guidance released by the agency.

It was precisely this policy, demanding loans be made to the unqualified, which led to the mortgage meltdown in 2008.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:33:53 am by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 01:54:49 pm »
I drive through a bit of a rough neighborhood on my way to work. I see cars in the driveways that are newer and finer than my own. New Escalades. New Mercedes. New 300s. These people of seemingly modest means find a way to own new, premium automobiles.

Auto dealers do a lot of things, but denying people who can't afford a car a loan is not a traditional practice. Quite the opposite is true.

This is more back door reparations.