Author Topic: OZ - Nicely done  (Read 1179 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

OZ - Nicely done
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:01:04 pm »
Saw OZ, the Great and Powerful over the weekend.  Going into it a huge fan of classic movies, I said to pull off a worthy prequel to one of the greatest films of all time would be no easy task. Satisfying hardcore 1939 Wizard of Oz fans would border on the impossible.
They pulled it off with this one. We loved it.  Set in 1905, in blends well with what will take place 34 years later.

Also this is the very first 3D live action that was worthy of being in that format. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

Re: OZ - Nicely done
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:00:50 pm »
Good to know, Navy. I have been debating going to see it or waiting for PPV.  I really wanted to go see Emperor, but so far has not come to my local theaters.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:19:25 pm »
You two must live in a parallel universe to my own. I never go to movie theatres any more. The breakdown in civility and behavior much noted on here has particularly invaded there.

Or maybe I am have just become an old curmudgeon unwilling to deal with the conduct of those darned kids at the movies and you two hang with a better crowd.

Besides, they charge too much for the popcorn and who can watch a movie without popcorn?

Additional note: have either of you read the original Baum tales of Oz? "The Wizard" differs quote considerably from the movie and L. Frank was displeased with how the story was changed in the movie, especially the ending when it appears Dorothy experienced it all due to a blow on the noggin. He wanted Oz to be real.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:44:37 pm »
Kids?  What kids??? our  Ultra Star Theater audiences here are very quiet and well-behaved.  It costs me $15 for ticket and buttered popcorn and large diet coke... and I have a card they punch that gives me a free movie after 10 movies.  Some movies beg to be seen on the big screen with the best sound.

I read Baum many, many, many years ago so I would not be able to compare OZ to any of the books. I never expect a movie to totally re-create a book as they all take creative liberties and there is the time constraints to deal with, I go strictly for the entertainment value.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:51:07 pm »
"Kids?  What kids??? our  Ultra Star Theater audiences here are very quiet and well-behaved."

Like I said, parallel universe.

Besides I made no comment on the story quality of the 30s "Wizard" only that Baum was displeased.

"I never expect a movie to totally re-create a book as they all take creative liberties and there is the time constraints to deal with..."
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online Millee

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:53:21 pm »
I'll add it to my Netflix queue.  Drinks and popcorn is better at the Millee house.   :beer:

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:56:29 pm »
Hmmm. "Drinks and popcorn is better at the Millee house."

I'm free Friday. How about you?

Online Millee

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:03:31 pm »
  Sure, come on over. 

I dibs the lumpy side of the couch though.   :laugh:

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:39:10 pm »
When I go to the movies, its usually late afternoon matinee prices (7.50) and during the week so no kids.  I am spoiled though--no huge mega-plexes here.  Just a humble little movie house (maybe 10 screens?) with good parking.  Plus the beverages are all refillable!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:55:22 pm »
When I go to the movies, its usually late afternoon matinee prices (7.50) and during the week so no kids.  I am spoiled though--no huge mega-plexes here.  Just a humble little movie house (maybe 10 screens?) with good parking.  Plus the beverages are all refillable!

Our beverages and popcorn are free refills and they have a butter station where you can add your own or more butter if you choose.