Author Topic: Sacred mystery: Blockbuster ratings for ‘The Bible’ confound Hollywood  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

"According to the latest Nielsens, released Tuesday, Sunday night’s telecast of “The Bible,” produced by husband-and-wife team Mark Burnett and Roma Downey for basic cable’s History channel, managed to attract more viewers than anything on broadcast network NBC … during the entire week.

The second installment of this five-part mini-series airing at 8-10 p.m. Sundays through Easter — the first foray into scripted drama for “Survivor” creator Burnett — drew 10.8 million viewers, good for number one in its timeslot and number 11 overall for the week.

Even bigger was part one the week before, which amassed an audience of 13.1 million viewers, cable’s largest of the year. That series premiere topped the ratings for both of the week’s episodes of “American Idol.” (Not the first time the Almighty has bested idols in head-to-head competition in this ancient rivalry — but, still, an impressive feat, even if Fox’s longtime ratings juggernaut is showing signs of slippage.)"
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/14/sacred-mystery-blockbuster-ratings-bible-confound-/
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
BRAVO!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

BRAVO!!!

No, that's the "gay" channel. This was on History!   :silly:

(Couldn't resist).

Online mountaineer

I haven't seen all of the episodes so far, but the parts I have viewed were very well done. Kudos to Mark Burnett and Roma Downey.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
No, that's the "gay" channel. This was on History!   :silly:

(Couldn't resist).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Those are encouraging numbers, but Hollywood's insistence on pushing it's anti-family, anti-morality agenda will not be deterred by the obvious evidence that a huge number of Americans are turned off by the "reality" programming that is so prevalent now on television. 

That said, I am seeing a wave.........one that could become a tsunami, and that's got to be scaring the crap out of the media.  We don't need you anymore - do you hear us now?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline NavyCanDo

Those are encouraging numbers, but Hollywood's insistence on pushing it's anti-family, anti-morality agenda will not be deterred by the obvious evidence that a huge number of Americans are turned off by the "reality" programming that is so prevalent now on television. 

It was one thing having reality shows on the major alphabet channels, but they have taken over Animal Planet, Home & Garden, History Channel, Discovery, and now even the Military Channel.  And you all know there is nothing real about them. Example - A guy walks into a Pawn Shop (buy-passing the rope line to get into the place) he walks up to the counter with a box full of hair from Grants beard, and does not notice the multiple cameras, light reflectors, and microphone booms. And that’s all followed by a “let me give my buddy a call to have him check it out”. Oh and now that “buddy” now has his own show.
It is a breath of fresh air to see The Bible program. They have done an excellent job with it.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Relic

It was one thing having reality shows on the major alphabet channels, but they have taken over Animal Planet, Home & Garden, History Channel, Discovery, and now even the Military Channel.  And you all know there is nothing real about them. Example - A guy walks into a Pawn Shop (buy-passing the rope line to get into the place) he walks up to the counter with a box full of hair from Grants beard, and does not notice the multiple cameras, light reflectors, and microphone booms. And that’s all followed by a “let me give my buddy a call to have him check it out”. Oh and now that “buddy” now has his own show.
It is a breath of fresh air to see The Bible program. They have done an excellent job with it.

I do watch the History reality garbage, I admit it. There's a classic example of staging on one of the early Pawn Stars episodes. Ron Dale, (brother of Rick Dale of American Restoration), comes into the pawn shop with a beat up Coke machine. Ron haggles with Rick for a bit, and then settles for a low price because "there's nothing he can do with it". Later in the episode, Rick Harrison takes the Coke machine to Rick Dale to have it restored.

But I like seeing the history of some of the junk they come up with, so I deal with the obvious staging.