Author Topic: Can the Egg McMuffin save McDonald's?  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Can the Egg McMuffin save McDonald's?
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:55:29 pm »
http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=969e8652-3317-4da6-b26c-ac3a98a33f5c

Can the Egg McMuffin save McDonald's?

A no-yolk version in the U.S. and 1 million free sandwiches in China are the chain's first line of defense against its detractors.

By Jason Notte 3 hours ago

The average consumer looks at the Egg McMuffin and sees an eggy substance, occasionally joined by a meat of choice, mashed between two puck-sized bits of bread. McDonald's (MCD) looks at its marquee breakfast sandwich and sees the perfect weapon for smiting its enemies.

When faced with health-conscious U.S. eaters concerned about the Egg McMuffin's 300 calories, the Golden Arches parried with a new "Egg White Delight" version that tones down the yolk and swaps in a whole wheat muffin. When Ronald worried that an influential Chinese news show that outed its food safety shortcomings in 2012 will target him again this year, Reuters says, he unleashed a deluge of 1 million free McMuffins on Chinese consumers in a pre-emptive strike.

Whether a little morning sustenance will change skeptics' minds remains to be seen, but McDonald's really needs some help from its top non-burger right now. McDonald's February same-store sales were down not only 3.3% in the U.S. but 1.5% worldwide. While the chain blames the loss of an extra sales day from 2012's leap year, the spit-take reaction to its new Fish McBites here in the States certainly hasn't helped.

Even McDonalds' latest Egg McMuffin moves have a halfhearted air to them. The new egg-white version claims to be healthier, but clocks in at only 50 calories less than its predecessor. It's also a somewhat odd choice, considering McDonald's removal of Chicken Selects and apple walnut salad from U.S. menus.

As for those million Egg McMuffins being doled out to Chinese consumers, that's roughly one breakfast sandwich for every 1,350 people in the country. That's not likely to build a whole lot of goodwill ahead of Friday's broadcast of "3.15," an incredibly popular Chinese news show that has made its name publicly shaming companies for violations of consumer trust. McDonald's is just one of several big companies that have been trying to play nice with the Chinese market ahead of the show's latest installment.

Last year, when "3.15" whacked McDonald's for its approach to food safety, the chain was targeted by a wave of bloggers, McDonald's share prices plummeted. The company was forced to issue a public apology.

While U.S. concerns about obesity are nothing to shrug off, China is in no mood to humor big companies charged with feeding its citizens. Much of the nation is already riled up by the discovery of thousands of dead pigs floating in a river that's one of Shanghai's main water sources.

It's not opposed to slapping around a fast-food chain or two, either. Just look at the food safety scare in December that sent sales at Yum Brands (YUM) restaurants like KFC and Pizza Hut into a spin.

That puts a whole lot of pressure on McDonald's little breakfast muffin. It's the friendliest face McDonald's can show its foes these days.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Can the Egg McMuffin save McDonald's?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:57:37 pm »
Hmmm first they were forced to change their oil and ruined their fries in the process now they are messing with the egg McMuffin.. when i have to go to California my first stop after filling up the fuel tank is McDonalds for a egg McMuffin (hold the egg) and a cup of coffee for the road...  When George was alive it worked perfectly.. I got it with egg and gave him my egg to put on his muffin and we were set ~LOL~  (I don't like eggs or fish).
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:08:16 pm »
If I want a healthy, low-fat, low-carb, low-salt breakfast, I'm not going to be driving to McDonald's in the first place.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:30:29 pm »
I don't think I've been to mickey-Dee's in at least 20 years.  I am always amazed at the line of cars I see there when I drive by.  Who the heck eats that stuff?  Or would want to?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:47:20 pm »
MELT THE CHEESE!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 11:51:30 pm »
MELT THE CHEESE!!

My cheese is always melted ~LOL~ egg McMuffin, no egg, just the ham with cheese on toasted English Muffin no mayo... just right,..

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 12:16:45 am »
I have purchased BIG MACS that had refrigerated cheese on it.   It wasn't even room temperature.

Furthermore.....when's the last time anybody say a flat grill on premises, where they're cooking the hamburgers?

They're cooked in warehouses....off site and simply placed in steamer trays.

But I do like the sausage egg cheese on biscuit.   LOL! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 01:49:10 am »
I have purchased BIG MACS that had refrigerated cheese on it.   It wasn't even room temperature.

Furthermore.....when's the last time anybody say a flat grill on premises, where they're cooking the hamburgers?

They're cooked in warehouses....off site and simply placed in steamer trays.

But I do like the sausage egg cheese on biscuit.   LOL!

I never, ever, get a Big Mac. If I want a hamburger I go to In n Out - Best fast food burger and fries around....  In and Out cooks them fresh to go, you can watch them cooking them as you go through the drive thru, they also serve the fries cooked with the skin on...   If you happen to get in the drive-thru line when they are starting a fresh batch of burgers you may sit there and wait 5 - 10 minutes and no one complains because they are so good. 

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 01:56:13 am »
We don't have In-'n-Out on the east coast.  I DO have a good McDonalds here-one that always makes sure the food is hot.  I wouldn't eat a Big Mac on a bet, but their angus mushroom swiss burgers are terrific.

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 02:00:10 am »
We don't have In-'n-Out on the east coast.  I DO have a good McDonalds here-one that always makes sure the food is hot.  I wouldn't eat a Big Mac on a bet, but their angus mushroom swiss burgers are terrific.

I love the Angus mushroom Swiss burgers, too. So does my granddaughter. We slip out and get them when we are together.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 02:03:09 am »

I tried their Angus here - once.   I didn't care for it, I like the Angus at Carls Jr. but a friend who works at the health department said don't eat at Carls ~LOL~   when you come visit I will take you to In and Out - their lettuce and tomatoes are fresh and crisp, too...

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 02:05:25 am »
Deal.  Actually, I've enjoyed In N Out before--I made my sister drive across town in awful traffic twice for those burgers when we were in the Bay Area 2 years ago for a niece's wedding.  I'll do the same to you.  :laugh:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 03:00:04 am »
Deal.  Actually, I've enjoyed In N Out before--I made my sister drive across town in awful traffic twice for those burgers when we were in the Bay Area 2 years ago for a niece's wedding.  I'll do the same to you.  :laugh:

~LOL~ well right now we are in the throes of spring break and the old people are still here.. traffic down by In N Out is horrible right now... come on hot weather (the old people who can't drive worth squat will be gone and the kids are only here on the weekends after spring break is over).

famousdayandyear

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 03:18:03 am »
~LOL~ well right now we are in the throes of spring break and the old people are still here.. traffic down by In N Out is horrible right now... come on hot weather (the old people who can't drive worth squat will be gone and the kids are only here on the weekends after spring break is over).

Need a ride to the In N Out?  You can use my car (Subaru Impreza WRX STIF):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkyTT-VUoCo

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 03:29:13 am »
Speaking of Spring Break...  I'm headin' to Texas tomorrow for a week.  And lest anyone accuse me of hijacking this thread, let me add that I won't be going to McDonald's while I'm there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:36:02 am by massadvj »

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 05:26:28 am »
What a bizarre thread but I can't resist.

I like Big Macs. So there.

The best hamburger I have ever had is at What-a-Burger. Oh, yummy. That is one of those things I truly miss about Texas which has What-a-Burgers in abundance.

Massadvj, you should try one while you are there and see what you think.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 12:18:22 pm »

The best hamburger I have ever had is at What-a-Burger. Oh, yummy. That is one of those things I truly miss about Texas which has What-a-Burgers in abundance.

Are you kidding?  If I ate one of those things my cardiologist would have a heart attack.   :thud:

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 01:11:48 pm »

I miss Whataburgers too.  I miss Schlotzkty's more though.

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 01:45:50 pm »
Are you kidding?  If I ate one of those things my cardiologist would have a heart attack.   :thud:

LOL!  Be sure to go to Wimberly and pick up some local olive oil from that guy there.   :laugh:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »
LOL!  Be sure to go to Wimberly and pick up some local olive oil from that guy there.   :laugh:

I haven't done this.  Do you remember the name of the place?  We go to Wimberly just about every day because our gym is located there.

(and just so no one will accuse us of hijacking the thread, is it near McD's?)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:51:17 pm by massadvj »

Offline Poser

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 01:59:48 pm »
I go to McDonald's for coffee. It's one third the price of Dunkin' Donuts coffee. I want a two cheeseburger meal special, but I don't eat it anymore.  Too many carbs.

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 02:48:11 pm »
I haven't done this.  Do you remember the name of the place?  We go to Wimberly just about every day because our gym is located there.

(and just so no one will accuse us of hijacking the thread, is it near McD's?)

LOL!

To tell you the truth, the guy was just starting up about the time I left Texas.  I remember making a day trip to Wimberly before I left, and I remember him being out on one of the country roads.  He was starting up his own grove and was holding olive oil tastings.  If his venture was successful, you will be able to locate him.

No McDonald's around there.  The only place I see them on countrified roads is in PA as a matter of fact!   

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 02:49:57 pm »
I go to McDonald's for coffee. It's one third the price of Dunkin' Donuts coffee. I want a two cheeseburger meal special, but I don't eat it anymore.  Too many carbs.

I don't blame you.  McDonald's coffee tastes exactly like Dunkin's coffee, IMO.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 04:30:46 pm »
I don't blame you.  McDonald's coffee tastes exactly like Dunkin's coffee, IMO.

LOL!  We have a 7-11 store down at the corner of our street.

As some might know, they keep the coffee in various thermos containers labeled with the appropriate contents....House Blend, Columbian, etc..

You can go everyday for five days and the House blend won't taste the same on any given day.  It's ridiculous.

But on Wednesdays you can get any size coffee for a buck.....so never mind!   LOL!

Offline Poser

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 05:01:40 pm »
LOL!  We have a 7-11 store down at the corner of our street.

But on Wednesdays you can get any size coffee for a buck.....so never mind!   LOL!

True at McDonald's every day.