Author Topic: Fail: Chrome, Firefox, and IE all crack during hacking competition By Meghan Kelly  (Read 930 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
So let me get this straight: the vulnerability does not seem to be in the browser, but in the operating system itself. In other words, it's not the browser that is at fault; it's Windows.

I also notice at least in the Chrome case, it requires active navigation to a malicious site. Believe it or not, I ran Windows XP on my laptops for nine years, without any antivirus protection whatsoever, and only once have I ever had to deal with any sort of malware (in that case, it was apparently a hack of a legitimate Web site). The answer is simply to avoid untrustworthy and suspicious looking Web sites, and that will make as much of a difference as any anti-malware product.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
So let me get this straight: the vulnerability does not seem to be in the browser, but in the operating system itself. In other words, it's not the browser that is at fault; it's Windows.

I also notice at least in the Chrome case, it requires active navigation to a malicious site. Believe it or not, I ran Windows XP on my laptops for nine years, without any antivirus protection whatsoever, and only once have I ever had to deal with any sort of malware (in that case, it was apparently a hack of a legitimate Web site). The answer is simply to avoid untrustworthy and suspicious looking Web sites, and that will make as much of a difference as any anti-malware product.

Unfortunately, that is a lot easier said than done for the vast majority of people.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Any program can be hacked if someone is determined enough and has the skills.  Nothing is totally secure no matter how much the companies try to make it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
Unfortunately, that is a lot easier said than done for the vast majority of people.
As I've always said, never underestimate the stupidity of the American people, and the 2012 election proves that.

Offline Rivergirl

I have had constant malware attacks when I visit Breitbart.

On occasion a visit to any link on Drudge brings the same result. 

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Use Firefox or Chrome with Noscript and Adblock Plus installed, especially No Script.  It will keep Java and Flash from running on a website unless you tell it to.  This is how the vast majority of viruses and malware are spread.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf