Author Topic: March 8, 1968 NC State 12 -- Duke 10 (Final Score ACC Semifinal)  (Read 2999 times)

famousdayandyear

http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2010/03/08/on-march-8-1968/

March 8, 1968:

NC State plays No. 10 Duke in the ACC Tournament semifinals in one of the most bizarre games in college basketball history. The smaller Wolfpack tries to pull the Blue Devils away from the basket, looking to exploit its quickness. Norm Sloan orders the Wolfpack to hold the ball at midcourt and the slowdown unfolds. Duke led at the half 4-2, then in the second half, the Wolfpack then holds the ball for more than 13 minutes without any movement from the Blue Devils defense. The slowdown tactic works as NC State prevails 12-10.

The Wolfpack was primarily responsible for slowing the pace and scored only one basket in the first half, trailing Duke 4-2 at halftime. NC State guard, Eddie Biedenbach led all scorers with four points.

Fan quote:

"State held the ball to force Duke out of their zone defense. Bubas, who played at State and was an assistant coach for Case and I think a teammate of Sloan, refused to play man-to-man defense and Sloan refused to play against a zone. As I recall, most of the game involved #30(I can’t remember his name) holding the ball on his hip near the mid-court line. Duke would not even come out and force the ref to start a 5 second count. Biedenbach would occasionly dribble around, but we mostly held the ball waiting for Duke to come out of the zone."

Online mountaineer

Re: March 8, 1968 NC State 12 -- Duke 10 (Final Score ACC Semifinal)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:39:15 pm »
I'd love to see a game without a shot clock!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

famousdayandyear

Re: March 8, 1968 NC State 12 -- Duke 10 (Final Score ACC Semifinal)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:46:01 pm »
I'd love to see a game without a shot clock!

Glad to see you appreciate the post.  A friend listened to this game on the radio as a kid.  Said it was spell-binding to see if NC State could pull off the win.  They went on to the Final, losing there to UNC.