Author Topic: Media Myth Debunked: HBO's 'Girls' Struggles to Find Audience  (Read 1262 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/03/08/HBO-s-Girls-and-How-the-Media-Manufactures-Reality

by John Nolte
March 8, 2013

Nobody watches HBO's "Girls."

Nobody.

In a country of over 300 million, 866,000 viewers is statistically zero.

And yet:

Lena Dunham, creator of the HBO series 'Girls,' has quietly shaken up the writing staff for her breakout comedy-drama about a group of young women making their way in New York.

"Breakout?" Season two's ratings are worse than season one's.

Is this nonsense just that the media is too bubbled and provincial to understand reality? Or is this the media manufacturing its own reality by blatantly lying in an effort to turn what isn't even close to mainstream into something that is?

I'm willing to bet that more than 866,000 people canceled HBO out of the fear that while channel surfing they might accidentally see Lena Dunham naked.

"Girls" isn't a breakout, it's the new "30 Rock" -- another embarrassingly low-rated "phenom" no one but the media loved.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

Re: Media Myth Debunked: HBO's 'Girls' Struggles to Find Audience
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:35:03 pm »
I'm willing to bet that more than 866,000 people canceled HBO out of the fear that while channel surfing they might accidentally see Lena Dunham naked.
Ugh. That thought just put me off my cocoa.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:29:36 pm »
Is this nonsense just that the media is too bubbled and provincial to understand reality? Or is this the media manufacturing its own reality by blatantly lying in an effort to turn what isn't even close to mainstream into something that is?

Yes.  Media likes to claim that it merely 'reflects' reality but the truth is that the intention is to shape societal behavior.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 02:17:36 am »
I never heard of it until she won the Golden Globe (or Emmy) and her speech was enough to put me off.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:38:27 pm »
Lena Dunham Defends Girls Nudity: If You're Not Into Me, 'That's Your Problem'
By Andrea Billups
01/10/2014 at 12:40 PM EST
People Magazine

Girls star Lena Dunham is standing by her screen time in the buff.

The actress, who has earned both praise and criticism for dropping trou in her hit HBO comedy, got into a heated exchange Thursday when, during a panel discussion at a Television Critics Association event in Pasadena, Calif., a reporter pressed her about the nudity featured on the show.

"I don't get the purpose of all of the nudity on the show ... Your character is often naked just at random times for no reason," the reporter remarked, which prompted a pointed response from Dunham.

"It's because it's a realistic expression of what it's like to be alive, I think, and I totally get it," the actress, 27, said. "If you are not into me, that's your problem, and you're going to have to work that out with professionals
."

Immediately, show producer Judd Apatow, who was also on hand during the panel talk, jumped in to defend Dunham and took the journalist to task, Entertainment Weekly reports.

"That was a very clumsily stated question that's offensive on its face, and you should read it and discuss it with other people how you did that," Apatow added. "It's very offensive."

Apatow later discussed the question after the session, calling it "sexist" and "misogynistic."

Controversy notwithstanding, Girls has struck a chord with loyal viewers: Its third season premieres on Sunday, and HBO has already ordered a fourth season of the hit comedy.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 11:01:45 pm »
Just remember, what has been seen cannot be unseen:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 11:15:05 pm »
 :2barf:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:49:12 am »
Only 27? She looks at least 35. Barf is right.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline collins

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 03:51:34 am »
Ewwwwwwww, I am so tired of this Lena Dunham chick. She is NOT that attractive, and she has horrible taste. Heard of her latest show, have deliberately avoided it. She is gross, always has been.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 04:13:57 am »
Just remember, what has been seen cannot be unseen:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:14:51 am by Chieftain »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 02:13:40 pm »
This nekkid bee-yotch is nuts.
Lena Dunham wants to have ‘therapy sessions’ with struggling writers
By Page Six Team
January 11, 2014 | 8:22pm

Lena Dunham’s life is now so fabulous, she’s looking for help to source new angst-ridden material from struggling writers who are being asked to undergo “therapy sessions” with her, sources exclusively tell Page Six.

After HBO ordered a fourth season of “Girls,” producers started interviewing potential writers to help create new material for the hit show. But one writer says the move is sparking an angry backlash: “It is offensive. Now that Lena’s life is so fabulous, she needs ideas and expects writers to sit in ‘therapy’ sessions with her so she can use them for material with minimal credit.”

Wrap TV critic Tim Molloy was this week berated for daring to ask why Dunham is naked so often on the show, and thin-skinned “Girls” producers now seem to believe that any journalists who ask questions about Dunham are harboring a tortured, festering grudge.

Despite Page Six’s staunch support of the show, which kicks off its third season Sunday night, an insider fired back when we asked about the therapy sessions: “I don’t know who your source is but . . . they seem to have some kind of grudge against the series. Why else would they want to malign it so? I don’t know why there are people out there who love taking pot shots at the series.”

“Girls” executive producer Jenni Konner told us in a statement: “Our hiring process is no different from any other television show. Each season, we consider new talent to keep the story areas fresh and the room dynamic and invigorating. I have no idea what a ‘therapy session’ with Lena is but it sounds fun and I’d like to try one myself if someone can explain it to me.”

An HBO spokesperson added, “To make the show current, they are simply looking for young writers, specifically diverse, not because Lena’s life is fabulous, but because we do a show with a young demographic and want to make sure we stay current and have interesting stories to tell. They want to hear from new voices. And everyone they hire would be WGA and would get credit as per the union criteria. This is about . . . hearing from some new voices.”

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 02:27:35 pm »
Unfortunately there is a market for these people who are "famous" simply for being "famous".  This fine young woman is no different than Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton, and a host of others before them, in that none of them has accomplished anything significant in their lives other than being so far outside the norm as to attract morbid attention to their personal oddities.  There was a time in our society when it was considered undesirable to be the subject of a tabloid.  These days the entire media from news to entertainment is tabloid by its very nature, and the more outrageous, atrocious, uncivilized, crude and rude the behavior, the better.  A large portion of modern society is more involved in living a tabloid style life themselves than they are involved in building a stable life, lifestyle, or stable family.

And what, pray tell, is the definition of the word "fabulous" as it is used to describe this woman's life?? What exactly does that mean?? It cannot be good....

:smokin:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:29:12 pm by Chieftain »

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 02:28:34 pm »
I never heard of it until she won the Golden Globe (or Emmy) and her speech was enough to put me off.
I haven't heard of it until this thread, but now I understand all the Lena Dunham cracks I'm reading elsewhere.  Good grief!  Now I'm remembering her with that hideously awful dress she wore at the Emmys.  She should be an embarrassment to millennials.