Author Topic: 'The Bible' Producers Roma Downey and Mark Burnett Bring Grit, Love to Epic Miniseries  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

I have seen both of these folks interviewed and they seem like a decent and honest couple. My only concern is this is on the History Channel which I don't trust very much due to its leftist bias. Still, the Downey/Burnett presentation may be worth watching.

Producers Mark Burnett and Roma Downey consulted with a battery of theologians while preparing The History Channel miniseries The Bible. The spiritually strong couple wanted to get every detail right for an adaptation of the most popular book of all time.

The couple also heeded the wisdom of their own teenagers who gently cautioned them not to make the special effects “lame.”

Burnett and Downey understand the potential impact of The Bible, the 10-part series which begins at 8 p.m. EST Sunday. They also grasp how impressionable viewers, particularly teens, could take the project to heart.

“There’s no way anybody could watch this and not get attracted to faith and feeling,” says Burnett, the reality show innovator behind Survivor and The Amazing Race.

The miniseries devotes five hours to the Old Testament, five hours to the New Testament. Even at 10 hours in length, the production had to pare down the number of stories to better engage the audience, Downey says.

“Even though they’re thousands of years old, the hopes, fears and desires are the same we feel today. It felt accessible,” says Downey, best known for the long-running series Touched by an Angel...

“There's one perfect figure which is Jesus Christ .. everyone here, every king, every prophet has flaws. You can see yourself in them, but God doesn’t abandon them. That was the through line,” Burnett says.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/02/28/bh-interview-roma-downey-mark-burnett#
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Bill O'Reilly interviewed them this week and they both said they kept control over this project and the entire 10 hours closely follows the bible. The first five hours is the Old Testament and the last five hours the New Testament....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
I am really looking forward to this, along with "Vikings" which will air right after.

From what the producers have been saying, I'm optimistic that it will not get butchered, which is what I first expected when I saw the first commercial for it.  I never trust the media to get a single thing right when it comes to the Bible or Christianity.

However, the bastardized History Channel (and I call it that because there is so little history on it anymore) has actually done very well with their previous miniseries of this type (technically docudramas) and kept it on topic rather than as a propaganda piece.  We'll see if that continues.

Of course, I've already seen some of the self righteous on another website trashing it with everything from calling it a sneak attack on Christianity to a pro-Obama propaganda piece.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:50:34 pm by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

I am so looking forward to it starting.  Can't wait!

One of the things I love about the holy season-- the documentaries. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Watching now
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
It was good, about on par for a TV production.  I noticed somethings that were probably creative license such as not showing Abraham's name being changed from Abram; most likely done so as not to confuse people who have never read the Bible.

But of course, some people are already declaring it a work of the devil, who by the way has already been seen in the background a couple of times.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

It was good, about on par for a TV production.  I noticed somethings that were probably creative license such as not showing Abraham's name being changed from Abram; most likely done so as not to confuse people who have never read the Bible.

But of course, some people are already declaring it a work of the devil, who by the way has already been seen in the background a couple of times.

Who care what some people are saying....... if it is well done and it gets people to watch and take an interest in the bible then it has served a good purpose.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Who care what some people are saying....... if it is well done and it gets people to watch and take an interest in the bible then it has served a good purpose.

Yeah, but it irritates me that most of the attacks which are being and will be launched against it will come from people who claim to be Christians.

Offline Rapunzel

Yeah, but it irritates me that most of the attacks which are being and will be launched against it will come from people who claim to be Christians.

I was on FR long enough to know full well a LOT of people who "claim" to be Christians prove by their words as well as actions they are anything but.......  when we all meet up with our maker on the other side he is going to look at how we lived our lives not what we piously claimed to be here on earth.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
I was on FR long enough to know full well a LOT of people who "claim" to be Christians prove by their words as well as actions they are anything but.......  when we all meet up with our maker on the other side he is going to look at how we lived our lives not what we piously claimed to be here on earth.

Yeah, most of them are hating it big time.  One even said it was portraying Islam in a good way by not spending time making Ishmael look bad.  They see a conspiracy in everything.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yeah, most of them are hating it big time.  One even said it was portraying Islam in a good way by not spending time making Ishmael look bad.  They see a conspiracy in everything.

Just had the misfortune to read the thread you mentioned.

With "Christians" like that, is it any wonder there are so many combative atheists about? It tempts me to troll them too.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

:amen: