Author Topic: Why You Should Think Like A Green Beret Instead Of A Doomsday Prepper  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Why You Should Think Like A Green Beret Instead Of A Doomsday Prepper
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:58:58 PM »
excellent, excellent, excellent article!  Thanks for finding it.

The community idea has so many advantages. I am just thinking of my neighborhood as an example. We are a gated community with a natural stream running through it on the one side, a city long forested park on another, and fenced off to every other neighborhood around it. Doing as they say and blocking off the neighborhood would be easy (albeit not hard to climb fences, even tall ones).

Just thinking about the stream. If you work as a community, you can have at least a little assurance through planning and communication that someone upstream isn't using it as a toilet (of course, outside the neighborhood is another story).  There can be agreements on how water is used. Resources can be shared (sell or barter skills versus communism so everyone can benefit based on efforts).

In our neighborhood, we have everything from doctors, to teachers, to engineers. Our neighborhood also seems to have a over-sampling of retired people. What that accounts for is centuries of pooled knowledge. Most people my age don't know how to can, but my 80 year old neighbor cans peaches off her tree every year. Most people my age couldn't fix a lawnmower or refrigerator, we just buy a new one. But people my parent's and grandparent's age fixed everything.

---------------

Completely side note. I just received a nice bonus at work and plan on stocking up on 3 month supplies of freeze dried foods, grains, beans, etc I am specifically focusing on things we would normally eat. I don't want to go nuts but think 3 months is reasonable for most situations. For example, if we have a nasty ice storm next year and the power goes out for a couple of weeks, a 3 month supply of food for myself and my wife could help feed many neighbors who may not be able to get to the store. I am also buying a Berkley water filter. We have a regular supply of water but just need a good way to keep it filtered.

We have actually been eating a lot of 'Emergency Essentials' foods lately. They have TVP meat substitutes that are very good. My wife is a vegetarian (athletic choice, nothing weird) but loves meat. We found these and have been using them as a meat replacement. It is actually a lot more cost effective, it is extremely healthy, and tastes really good if prepared right.
http://beprepared.com/provident-pantry-imitation-beef-flavored-bits-textured-vegetable-protein.html
I've gone almost 90% vegetarian simply by using these substitutes.  Of course, sometimes you need a big, old steak.
(maybe this will be another thread).

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »
I'm glad that you like the article.

I'm not a fan of the "Preppers" shows on TV simply because most are about some guy (who is generally portrayed as a whack job dreaming of an end of the world scenario), but a lot of ideas can be gleaned from those programs.

The hunkering down or bugging out may be useful in the initial stages of a disaster, depending on the scope of the disaster, but (IMO)  being on homeground and organizing the neighborhood is a more viable alternative.
We have seen the bug-outs during Hurricane Ike and we have seen those who refuse or cannot leave during Katrina, and we have been able to observe the results of both.
One thing that stuck with me about Katrina was the neighborhoods that banded together to ward off looters. Teamwork is the key.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »

In our neighborhood, we have everything from doctors, to teachers, to engineers. Our neighborhood also seems to have a over-sampling of retired people. What that accounts for is centuries of pooled knowledge. Most people my age don't know how to can, but my 80 year old neighbor cans peaches off her tree every year. Most people my age couldn't fix a lawnmower or refrigerator, we just buy a new one. But people my parent's and grandparent's age fixed everything.

---------------

Just make sure you cull the lawyer population from time to time; there is little worse than an infestation of lawyers - worse than a stinkbug infestation, even!

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
Just make sure you cull the lawyer population from time to time; there is little worse than an infestation of lawyers - worse than a stinkbug infestation, even!

Actually, I place lawyers at the same level as ticks, fleas, and cooties. Chickens love to eat them though! :laugh:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »
Great food for thought but the condescension is uncalled for.  I would imagine anyone with the ability to plan for the worse would be a bit more intelligent or at least analytical than the level directed by the author.  "Timmy the Tool" and "Ralph the Realist"?  Who's the author, "Frank Fragbait"?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Ford289HiPo

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »

Many younger people would be almost helpless, in hard times. Unable to do math without a calculator, unable to repair a vehicle, unable to grow things, or to cook things.

If circumstances require thinning the population, the dumb young "adults" that elected Obama should be the first to go.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:24:35 PM by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
Many younger people would be almost helpless, in hard times. Unable to do math without a calculator, unable to repair a vehicle, unable to grow things, or to cook things.

If circumstances require thinning the population, the dumb young "adults" that elected Obama should be the first to go.

They do know how to flaunt authority well. That could be a bad thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf