Author Topic: Almost everything you buy is owned by top ten companies  (Read 2672 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Almost everything you buy is owned by top ten companies
« on: February 26, 2013, 04:57:25 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Almost everything you buy is owned by top ten companies
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:54:18 pm »
Yeah, but it's produced in China.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:53:30 pm »
The food items, at least, are made in USA, aren't they? In any event, it doesn't really bother me that conglomerates exist.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:17:17 am »
The food items, at least, are made in USA, aren't they? In any event, it doesn't really bother me that conglomerates exist.

Fresh food items certainly.  Canned/preserved and staples?  Not always.  Coffee, for example, is frequently imported.  As far as conglomerates - so long as they don't use their power to suppress competition or to buy democrat party politicians to suppress competition for them I don't really care either.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:12:46 am »
Certain commodities, especially coffee and winter fruits, must be imported because the USA desn't have the climate to grow it.

I do notice the  chart only covers the name brands. So while they certainly have reach, I'd definitely think knockoffs and store brands cover more than 10% of the market. That being said, judging by the brand associations and brandings, this is a British chart and I don't know how extensive store brands are in the UK.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:24:06 am »
There was a time our fresh vegetables in summer came primarily from California.  Now that the central valley in California has been pretty much destroyed thanks to liberals turning off the water most of the fresh vegetables come from Mexico and Chile.  We know a lot of the dog food and baby food products are made in China because 1) the dogfood has killed a LOT of dogs and 2) there has been several formula recalls because of tainted formula.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 03:49:07 am »
Most store brand vitamins and supplements are made in China.  If the label doesn't tell you where it is made, then it is almost certainly there.  Same goes for most over the counter medications.

There are brands which are made in the US, with others who make it in Canada or the EU.  Any of those I would trust since the standards are pretty much the same, but not stuff made elsewhere.  Read the label of visit the manufacturer's website to see where their products are made.

Sundown Naturals are made in the US as are most (but not all) GNC products.  Schiff is another that mostly makes its products in the US.  The popular Vitamin-C, Ester-C, is made in the US and they proudly say so on the box.

http://www.sundownnaturals.com/

http://www.schiffvitamins.com/

http://www.gnc.com/home/index.jsp

I order mine from drugstore.com which is cheaper than buying local, no tax, free shipping on most orders, and they stock everything where as I have to go to multiple stores to find what I need.

I would advise everyone to buy only supplements, vitamins, and medication that is made in the US, Canada, the EU, and Israel (they have a very modern pharmaceutical industry) if at all possible.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 04:20:06 am »
Contrary to unsourced claims, California remains the number one agriculture state, with about two times the dollar value produced by number two Texas.

ie. Not "destroyed."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln