Author Topic: Military Draft Registration Could Come To An End  (Read 2626 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Military Draft Registration Could Come To An End
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:31:16 pm »
http://www.inquisitr.com/543386/military-draft-registration-could-come-to-an-end/

Posted: February 25, 2013
By Nathan Francis

Military draft registration could be coming to an end as two lawmakers are on a campaign to abolish the Selective Service System.

Rep. Peter DeFazio, a Democrat from Oregon, and Rep. Mike Coffman, a Republican from Colorado, are the ones leading the charge to end military draft registration.  They say the agency wastes millions of dollars each year preparing for the possibility of a military draft, The Associated Press noted.

The Selective Service employs 130 people and has an annual budget of $24 million. The agency keeps a database of about 17 million male draftees, and if a draft is reinstated the Selective Service could mobilize as many as 11,000 volunteers to serve on local draft boards.

DeFazio and Coffman said that’s too expensive for what is essentially an emergency clause, and they want to end military draft registration.

They noted that the measure should have the support of most members of Congress.

“There is no one who wants this except ‘chicken hawk’ members of Congress,” DeFazio says, describing members who support military action without having entered the service themselves.

At the same time, a push could be coming to expand military draft registration. A recent decision from the Obama administration to lift the ban on women in combat could open the door for a change to the law that now compels men between ages 18 and 25 to register for a military draft.

“They’re going to have to show that excluding women from the draft actually improves military readiness,” Diane Mazur, a law professor at the University of Florida and a former Air Force officer, told The Associated Press. “I just don’t see how you can make that argument.”

There is support for expanding military draft registration in Congress as well. Senator Carl Levin, a Democrat from Michigan and the chairman on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said he supports women having to register for the draft.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
Re: Military Draft Registration Could Come To An End
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:27:44 pm »
Good. I catch cold in drafty places.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:00:01 am »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:12:11 am »
I doubt it is going to happen.  It gets proposed all the time and goes no where.  Selective Service is in place for one reason, God forbid, should we ever need to build up an army as quickly as we did for WWII.

What they should do is require women to register as well.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 03:45:04 am »
What they should do is require women to register as well.

Dunno AC. Call me old school, but I don't believe women should be drafted. Fighting is a man's game.

If it's numbers we're worried about, drop some of the silly standards that Recruiting Command has come up with and there would be plenty of warm bodies to fill the ranks. Tattoo's? No problem. No HS diploma? No problem, you don't need a diploma to shoot a rifle. Gang member? No problem, We'll make you a part of the biggest gang in the world, the US military or we'll break you trying. Non-violent offender? No problem, we take care of our problems.

Now, I imagine that your thinking of the asymmetrical warfare that we've been waging for the last 10 years where females have been in actual combat. That won't last forever. One day, we'll go head to head with a real army.  That will test our metal, and I don't want to see females in Armor/Infantry/Cavalry/Field Artillery units under those conditions.  Rear echelon, fine; but not in frontline units.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:34:48 am »
Dunno AC. Call me old school, but I don't believe women should be drafted. Fighting is a man's game.

If it's numbers we're worried about, drop some of the silly standards that Recruiting Command has come up with and there would be plenty of warm bodies to fill the ranks. Tattoo's? No problem. No HS diploma? No problem, you don't need a diploma to shoot a rifle. Gang member? No problem, We'll make you a part of the biggest gang in the world, the US military or we'll break you trying. Non-violent offender? No problem, we take care of our problems.

Now, I imagine that your thinking of the asymmetrical warfare that we've been waging for the last 10 years where females have been in actual combat. That won't last forever. One day, we'll go head to head with a real army.  That will test our metal, and I don't want to see females in Armor/Infantry/Cavalry/Field Artillery units under those conditions.  Rear echelon, fine; but not in frontline units.

Fighting may be a game for men, but it's deadly serious for women; I, personally, would rather go up against a marine in full combat gear than up against my wife when she's ready for a fight.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 04:38:05 am »

I agree, but women always bitch and whine about "equality."  They used it to get on the front lines so make them truly equal and have them register for the draft.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:38:28 am »
I agree, but women always bitch and whine about "equality."  They used it to get on the front lines so make them truly equal and have them register for the draft.

If it is only about "equality" I guess it is yes, however, if it is about saving the Republic, that is not the time to find out that there is just some things women are not physically capable of doing.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 02:51:20 pm »
If it is only about "equality" I guess it is yes, however, if it is about saving the Republic, that is not the time to find out that there is just some things women are not physically capable of doing.

Not sure the Republic [as we understand a Republic to be, and not a box store] can be saved. Not PC enough. Reminds me of a Jefferson Davis quote about the Confederacy's tombstone, "Died of a Theory".
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Relic

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:01:58 pm »

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 07:55:32 pm »
I thought individuals were supposed to be judged as individuals, not as members of this class or that class?

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 09:04:59 pm »

They won't be truly equal until they can urinate over their shoulder while standing.  ^-^