Author Topic: Firefox phones coming this summer  (Read 2131 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Firefox phones coming this summer
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:08:02 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/DA4L5HQ01

Firefox phones coming this summer
AP 2/24/2013 6:16:12 PM
(AP) Firefox phones coming this summer
By PETER SVENSSON
AP Technology Writer
BARCELONA, Spain

Mozilla, the non-profit foundation behind the popular Firefox Web browser, is getting into phones. But it's not stopping at Web browsers _ it's launching an entire phone operating system.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based foundation said Sunday that phones running Firefox OS will appear this summer, starting in Brazil, Colombia, Hungary, Mexico, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Spain and Venezuela.

The Firefox OS will land in a crowded environment, where many small operating systems are trying to become the "third eco-system," alongside Apple's iOS and Google's Android. Together, those two account for 91 percent of smartphone sales, according to research firm IDC.

Mozilla Foundation has an ally in phone companies, who are interested in seeing an alternative to Apple and Google, particularly one coming from a non-profit foundation. Thirteen phone companies around the world have committed to supporting Firefox phones, Mozilla said, including Sprint Nextel in the U.S., though it gave no time frame for a release. Other supporters include Telecom Italia, America Movil of Mexico and Deutsche Telekom of Germany. DT is the parent of T-Mobile USA, but plans to sell Firefox phones first in Poland.

Phone makers that plan to make Firefox phones include Huawei and ZTE of China and LG of Korea. The first devices will be inexpensive touchscreen smartphones.

All the phones will run on chips supplied by San Diego-based Qualcomm Inc., whose CEO Paul Jacobs appeared at Mozilla's press event Sunday in Barcelona, Spain, on the eve of the world's largest cellphone trade show.

The industry has seen various attempts to launch "open" smartphone operating systems, with little success. Jay Sullivan, vice president of products at Mozilla, said these failed because they were designed "by committee," with too many constituents to please. While developing and supporting the Firefox browser, Mozilla has learned to develop large-scale "open" projects effectively, he said.

He also said that putting quality third-party applications on Firefox phones will be easy, because they're based on HTML 5, an emerging standard for Web applications.

"Firefox OS has achieved something that no device software platform has previously managed - translating an industry talking shop into a huge commitment from both carriers and hardware vendors at its commercial launch," said Tony Cripps an analyst at research firm Ovum. "Neither Android nor Symbian _ the closest benchmarks in terms of broad industry sponsorship that we've previously seen _ have rallied the level of support that Firefox OS has achieved so early in its development."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Firefox phones coming this summer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:39:29 pm »
We shall see...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:56:00 pm »
MozillaPhones will be competing with iPhones, AndroidPhones, Windows8Phones, BlackberryPhones, etc.

More power to those willing to risk and innovate.

I remember when the Palm Treo was the leading smartphone !! The medical profession had settled on the Palm Pilot for use, and real estate settled on the Palm Treo for lockbox infrared operation. The idea of a single device, or smartphone was appealing. Blackberry was probably the best competitor.

What a difference just a few years makes, at the rate of technological change.

Nothing significant is new, lately. The Androids and iPhones do basically the same things, albei some with bigger screens.

Apple's market cap grew with their success with iPhone and iPad, so it has drawn many competitors.

Got touch smartphone, got touch tablet?? Old news, now. Mature market with many entrants, should prompt price competition.

Find what is truly new, big and next.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:58:24 am »
MozillaPhones will be competing with iPhones, AndroidPhones, Windows8Phones, BlackberryPhones, etc.

More power to those willing to risk and innovate.

I remember when the Palm Treo was the leading smartphone !! The medical profession had settled on the Palm Pilot for use, and real estate settled on the Palm Treo for lockbox infrared operation. The idea of a single device, or smartphone was appealing. Blackberry was probably the best competitor.

What a difference just a few years makes, at the rate of technological change.

Nothing significant is new, lately. The Androids and iPhones do basically the same things, albei some with bigger screens.

Apple's market cap grew with their success with iPhone and iPad, so it has drawn many competitors.

Got touch smartphone, got touch tablet?? Old news, now. Mature market with many entrants, should prompt price competition.

Find what is truly new, big and next.

Definitely.  I've just decided to upgrade from my 2007-era "dumb" phone to a smart phone, and the difference is astounding - the 2007-era phone compares about as favorably as a Model T compares to contemporary Porsche.  The benefits of competition are also almost comically apparent in this market; it's too bad the phenomenon wasn't as patently obvious in other areas of life as it is here.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:04:53 am »
Definitely.  I've just decided to upgrade from my 2007-era "dumb" phone to a smart phone, and the difference is astounding - the 2007-era phone compares about as favorably as a Model T compares to contemporary Porsche.  The benefits of competition are also almost comically apparent in this market; it's too bad the phenomenon wasn't as patently obvious in other areas of life as it is here.

I love my Android Smartphone.. like night and day from even my Blackberry which was three-years-old.. and a few weeks ago my friend was here from CA and I helped her set up and figure how to use her ipad... nice...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:33:11 am »
I love my Android Smartphone.. like night and day from even my Blackberry which was three-years-old.. and a few weeks ago my friend was here from CA and I helped her set up and figure how to use her ipad... nice...

It'll be interesting.  My wife insisted on having an iPhone 5, which is all well and good, but she had ... issues ... getting up to speed using the keyboard on the old LG V9100 (aka Verizon eNV2), so I expect a rather steep learning curve on the iPhone - which isn't a lot of fun when the learnee has very little patience.  Still, for that reason alone the iPhone is probably the best for her since it's in all fairness one of the most stable, easy-to-use smartphones out there.