Author Topic: Hiding a Gun: the Rule of Three  (Read 2848 times)

Offline mountaineer

Hiding a Gun: the Rule of Three
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:08:08 AM by mountaineer »
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline xfreeper

Re: Hiding a Gun: the Rule of Three
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
"When it's time to bury the guns, it's actually time to dig them up and use them."

Correct. If you aren't going to use them when you have to bury them, you'll never use them

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »
"When it's time to bury the guns, it's actually time to dig them up and use them."

Correct. If you aren't going to use them when you have to bury them, you'll never use them

Hmmm.  This is what we refer to in academe as a "tautology." Joseph Heller called it "Catch 22."  Now I don't know whether to bury a gun or not.
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »
Hmmm.  This is what we refer to in academe as a "tautology." Joseph Heller called it "Catch 22."  Now I don't know whether to bury a gun or not.

To bury a gun when your liberties are under assault is what I refer to as "counter productive". Others would call it "stupid"

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:41:27 PM »
Now is the time to be burying guns, not using them.  Using them now will simply earn one the same fate as the denizens of Waco suffered.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
Now is the time to be burying guns, not using them.  Using them now will simply earn one the same fate as the denizens of Waco suffered.
That's what I was thinking. Save however many you need for personal defense now; bury however many you think you may need later.

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Social Media Advisor
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »

Exactly. These cowboys that keep screaming all over the internet they will shoot someone are just looking for trouble. What they don't get is, let's say worst case scenario, the feds start confiscating every gun. If they know you are a mouthing off cowboy wanna-be they aren't going to raid your home while you are secure. They are going to pick you up during a routine traffic stop or meet you at your office. Then they will go in, with no resistance and confiscate everything illegal(sic) while leaving you a citation for not complying with whatever law.

The best recourse is to Buy, Buy, Buy. Make the numbers overwhelming to where they know they simply don't have the manpower to confiscate and do the paperwork. If they can't deal with illegals, they sure don't have the organizational skills to confiscate every gun. On top of that, you have law enforcement and military in many towns, your friends and neighbors, who are stating openly they will not comply with these laws.

In previous gun bans here, they didn't go from door to door confiscating except a few small, scale rare occasions like Hurricane Katrina (in which case they were removing firearms from empty homes). Instead, they simply confiscated as they were found and made the penalties so great if you had one, you kept it locked away for decades. 

There is also the financial aspect. Prior to the 86 gun ban, there were Class III weapons easily available for a few thousand dollars. They were grandfathered in and became transferable under the right circumstances. Now, a pre-86 M16 that sold then for a few thousand, can go for $30K or more. It is one of the reasons I have a few guns which are prime for banning (like a MAC11). It is an investment.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »
There are many ways of hiding guns and ammo in an easily accessible place, should it be necessary thanks to government regulations or interference. Lined chimneys, under reinforced concrete floors or hearths, paralleling steel joists or RSJs, under the floor laying alongside water pipes and electrical conduits, inside false ducting for heat or aircon, in an alcove behind a heavy fridge or freezer, in a junk metal box in the garage or shed - those are some quick and reasonably secure hiding places.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »
The idea of burying it out in the woods is a bit off-putting. I'd rather find a place a bit more accessible.

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Social Media Advisor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
There are many ways of hiding guns and ammo in an easily accessible place, should it be necessary thanks to government regulations or interference. Lined chimneys, under reinforced concrete floors or hearths, paralleling steel joists or RSJs, under the floor laying alongside water pipes and electrical conduits, inside false ducting for heat or aircon, in an alcove behind a heavy fridge or freezer, in a junk metal box in the garage or shed - those are some quick and reasonably secure hiding places.

I always thought the 'hiding in plain sight' concept is pretty good. Disassemble and distribute the parts around the house. Put a spring in a sewing kit, a trigger in a jar of screws, etc. The barrel is suddenly part of a lamp. The only challenge then is hiding ammunition as you can't exactly take that apart. I've always wondered what ways drug dealers hid their supply but have avoided googling the subject for obvious reasons.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
Whatever you do, do it quietly, offline.

If it ever gets bad, I suspect some of the big mouths are already well known, from their online posts and boasting.

If one was say, pulled in for a couple of days of questioning, while his computer was searched, his cyber world bragging and posts might give his secrets away.

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Social Media Advisor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:38:45 PM »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 01:21:56 AM »
Whatever you do, do it quietly, offline.

If it ever gets bad, I suspect some of the big mouths are already well known, from their online posts and boasting.

If one was say, pulled in for a couple of days of questioning, while his computer was searched, his cyber world bragging and posts might give his secrets away.

Mum should indeed be the word.  In other words, one shouldn't talk about what one's done, or what one's family/friends have done, but should probably put up a lot of chatter by talking endlessly about what one has not done.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:22:56 AM by Oceander »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
I always thought the 'hiding in plain sight' concept is pretty good. Disassemble and distribute the parts around the house. Put a spring in a sewing kit, a trigger in a jar of screws, etc. The barrel is suddenly part of a lamp. The only challenge then is hiding ammunition as you can't exactly take that apart. I've always wondered what ways drug dealers hid their supply but have avoided googling the subject for obvious reasons.

Light fittings. Most of the metal bases of ceiling fittings will hold between 12 and 50 rounds and you can get at them in under a minute.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline WorkingClassFilth

• Proverbs 3: 5,6
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 10:17:29 PM »
I remember storey in the press during the collapse of the old Soviet Union. A military base was being attacked by people in a remote area. There was a photo in the wire story. It showed the victorious people with their weapons - WWII German Kar98's, MP-40's and other war booty. Somebody put those away waiting for that day. Using them, they took the base and upgraded their hardware to RPG's and AK-47's.

Sometimes the time to bury is to when a harvest is sometime off in the future.

Online Elderberry

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 10:31:18 PM »
There should be a fourth rule.

You must hide some of your particularly unloved guns sacrificially with ammo. Hide them knowing that when They Come for Your Guns, they will be found.

Hoping that they will be satisfied at that point and will give up the search for more weapons.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf