Author Topic: Why Women Talk More Than Men: Language Protein Uncovered  (Read 2886 times)

Offline quidnunc

Why Women Talk More Than Men: Language Protein Uncovered
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:40 pm »
Why Women Talk More Than Men: Language Protein Uncovered

You know all the times that men complain about women talking too much? Apparently there's a biological explanation for the reason why women are chattier than men. Scientists have discovered that women possess higher levels of a "language protein" in their brains, which could explain why females are so talkative.

Previous research has shown that women talk almost three times as much as men. In fact, an average woman notches up 20,000 words in a day, which is about 13,000 more than the average man. In addition, women generally speak more quickly and devote more brainpower to speaking. Yet before now, researchers haven't been able to biologically explain why this is the case.

Now, they can. New findings conducted by researchers at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and published in The Journal of Neuroscience show that a certain protein may be the culprit.

-snip-

(Catherine Griffin in the Science World Report, February 20, 2013)
http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/5073/20130220/why-women-talk-more-men-language-protein.htm

Oceander

Re: Why Women Talk More Than Men: Language Protein Uncovered
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:03:25 pm »
So why would such a difference - if real - exist?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:24:58 pm »
a language protein, eh...  so I have an excuse after all...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:45:59 pm »
So why would such a difference - if real - exist?

Different roles. It was to women's advantage to be able to communicate clearly and well with each other as gatherers, less important to men as hunters. Two totally different skill sets are needed for those two tasks.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:07 pm »
I always thought it was due to the fact girls mature more quickly than boys until about puberty. As a result they develop language skills and handwriting ability sooner than boys.

Just a theory.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:50:07 pm »
Different roles. It was to women's advantage to be able to communicate clearly and well with each other as gatherers, less important to men as hunters. Two totally different skill sets are needed for those two tasks.

However, that same aspect doesn't come into play in that way in rats, for example, so I'm not sure that explains it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:58:52 pm »
However, that same aspect doesn't come into play in that way in rats, for example, so I'm not sure that explains it.

It does. In rats, according to the report, it is the males who have far higher levels of the protein. That would make sense since most rats preserve their territory/ food sources/ right to breed by threatening or placating other males verbally rather than actual fighting. Female rats are comparatively mute.
It would be interesting to have a comparison with something like, say chimpanzees, where both sexes require the same tool set for survival.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:03:57 pm »
a language protein, eh...  so I have an excuse after all...

I had no idea as to WHY they did but also no doubt at all that they DID.

;>)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:06:46 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:09:45 pm »
Look....male birds are the ones with the dazzling plumage. 

The females are brown-wrappers.  So, to get noticed....they 'talk' a lot!       :tongue2:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:14:10 pm »

The females are brown-wrappers.  So, to get noticed....they 'talk' a lot!       :tongue2:

~LOL~ my husband had these long thick eyelashes and big blue eyes, he used to joke that the male of all the species got the natural good looks and us females got the cosmetics.. look at the Mallard Ducks.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 11:19:30 pm »

8detect8
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34