Author Topic: LIVE THREAD....85th Academy Awards Nominees, February 24th, 2013  (Read 13072 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: LIVE THREAD....85th Academy Awards Nominees, February 24th, 2013
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2013, 04:39:44 am »
How the *bleep* did Life of Pi win Best Director?

Major upset...seems that Pi is winning tonight....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2013, 04:40:25 am »
Major upset...seems that Pi is winning tonight....

It's a totally stupid movie.

But just like Avatar, they had good CGI people.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2013, 04:46:30 am »
At least I got one prediction right.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2013, 04:49:38 am »
And Daniel Day-Lewis wins for Lincoln.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2013, 04:50:34 am »
 AP 2/25/2013 4:44:39 AM
(AP) Partial list of 85th annual Academy Award winners
By The Associated Press
Partial list of the 85th annual Academy Award winners announced Sunday in Los Angeles:

1. Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained."

2. Animated Short Film: "Paperman."

3. Animated Feature Film: "Brave."

4. Cinematography: "Life of Pi."

5. Visual Effects: "Life of Pi."

6. Costume: "Anna Karenina."

7. Makeup and Hairstyling: "Les Miserables."

8. Live Action Short Film: "Curfew."

9. Documentary (short subject): "Inocente."

10. Documentary Feature: "Searching for Sugar Man."

11. Foreign Language Film: "Amour."

12. Sound Mixing: "Les Miserables."

13. Sound Editing (tie): "Skyfall," "Zero Dark Thirty."

14. Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables."

15. Film Editing: "Argo."

16. Production Design: "Lincoln."

17. Original Score: "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna.

18. Original Song: "Skyfall" from "Skyfall," Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth.

19. Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio, "Argo."

20. Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained."

21. Directing: Ang Lee, "Life of Pi."

22. Actress: Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook."

and Best Actor to Daniel Day-Lewis
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2013, 04:51:38 am »
If Life of Pi wins best picture, I'm going to puke.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2013, 04:55:59 am »
Damn they had to bring Mooseshelle in to announce this category....do they have to insert themselves into f'king everything??????

Best Film......Argo
Support the USO

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2013, 04:57:18 am »
Damn they had to bring Mooseshelle in to announce this category....do they have to insert themselves into f'king everything??????

Best Film......Argo

Of course they do.

Better Argo than Life of Pi, but it should have been Lincoln.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2013, 05:03:46 am »
 AP 2/25/2013 5:00:44 AM
(AP) 'Argo' takes best picture at the Oscars
LOS ANGELES
If Ben Affleck was snubbed by the Oscars, everyone should be so lucky. His Iran rescue thriller "Argo" has won best picture from the Academy Awards.

It's the first best picture winner not to be nominated for best director since 1989's "Driving Miss Daisy." But despite the omission of Affleck _ or perhaps buoyed by it _ "Argo" emerged as the Oscar favorite, winning top honors from the directors, producers, screen actors and writers guilds.

Affleck and fellow producers George Clooney and Grant Heslov accepted the award Sunday night.

Among the other eight nominees, Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" was perceived as the biggest competition to "Argo." The other nominees were "Life of Pi," "Silver Linings Playbook," "Zero Dark Thirty," "Les Miserables," "Amour," "Beasts of the Southern Wild" and "Django Unchained."
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2013, 05:04:54 am »
Thank you very much...goodnight everybody!
Support the USO

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2013, 05:28:13 am »
Ranked by my wife and I:
Lincoln
Zero
Argo

Django

of those we saw
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2013, 05:30:45 am »
AC, if you are still among us please explain this statement: If Life of Pi wins best picture, I'm going to puke.

I am asking because I truly have no idea what that movie is even about. So what do you find wrong with it?

I see "Argo" won Best Pic which upsets me because it is Liberal bovine excrement masquerading as being based on fact.

Did anyone give the Canadians any credit for being the ones who actually got our people out of there?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2013, 05:34:25 am »
I didn't see Pi, but of all the movies nominated Massadjv thought it was the best movie of them all....

I am glad Spielberg was shut out tonight... wish Django had been as well.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2013, 05:51:07 am »
I can't really explain Life of Pi, it is one of those movies that you just go "duh" after seeing.

Without posting spoilers, the movie is really nothing more than a somewhat decent but confusing plot with a lot of nice CGI.  That to me is not enough to win Best Picture.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2013, 06:15:23 am »
Ok, AC, ty. I don't go to first run movies anymore so doubt I will be seeing this, or any of these pictures soon, and I understand your objection to "Life of Pi" as best pic.

One year, many moons ago, I went to all 5 pictures with nomination for best actor. Why I chose best actor instead of best pic I will never know (made sense at the time, I guess), but that was 1968 and the nominees included Cliff Robertson, "Charly" (winner), Peter O'Toole, "The Lion in Winter", Ron Moody, "Oliver!", Alan Bates, "The Fixer", and my personal favorite, Alan Arkin, "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter".

I thought Arkin did a masterful job as the deaf mute John Singer even compared to Robertson as the mentally retarded Charly (1968 apparently being the year of the handicapped). Alas, the academy did not agree with me and so Arkin did not win.

I just threw that story in here for the hell of it.   
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2013, 06:34:37 am »
I can't really explain Life of Pi, it is one of those movies that you just go "duh" after seeing.

Without posting spoilers, the movie is really nothing more than a somewhat decent but confusing plot with a lot of nice CGI.  That to me is not enough to win Best Picture.

Argo go best pic.. Ang Lee got director... This reminds me of the days when Spielberg was robbed of nominations for director because he had not paid his dues... That is ehat they did to Afflec
 this year.  remember in the nominating process the nominate by directors for other directors.. Etc.. Then the academy votes for every category.. Could be this eas the academy rewardin Lee for his body of work or an in your face for passing ovr Affleck
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2013, 12:10:27 pm »

I see "Argo" won Best Pic which upsets me because it is Liberal bovine excrement masquerading as being based on fact.

???  What???   How so?  Strong statement for someone who admits hasn't even seen any of this stuff.  :thud:   
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:16:58 pm by Lipstick on a Hillary »

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »
You make a valid point, LoaH, but I am capable of reading the assessments of others who do know.

???  What???   How so?  Strong statement for someone who admits hasn't even seen any of this stuff.

In fact, accepting the views of others who are informed is what we all do on a variety of subjects, not just films. And, btw, I am dubious about the "facts" presented in any film out of Hollywood, especially those dealing with history or politics, until I know better.

LoaH, consider the source.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2013, 01:07:43 pm »
Twitter: Were KStew and Renee Zellweger drunk at the Oscars?
Last Updated: 12:10 PM, February 25, 2013
Posted: 11:19 AM, February 25, 2013

Renee Zellweger and Kristen Stewart might have stolen the show last night at the Oscars, but not necessarily in a good way.

Their odd behavior as presenters at the 85th Annual Academy Awards caused viewers to tweet up a storm, with many suggesting that the usually composed starlets were inebriated during the broadcast.

Zellwegger and her “Chicago” cast mates presented the gold statues for Best Song and Best Original Score. For both awards, the “Jerry Maguire” star appeared glazed over and unbalanced as she and her co-presenters read off the nominations onstage.

Comedian Michael Ian Black tweeted about a squinty Zellwegger, “Do you guys remember when Renee Zellweger had eyes?”

"Renee Zellweger is acting like I do when I drink a lil' too much in front of my mum, but I try to hold it together," tweeted another viewer.

Stewart, meanwhile, caused Twitter to buzz as the "Twilight" actress hobbled out on stage to present the Production Design award with Daniel Radcliffe. (Stewart was on crutches because she stepped on glass, AP reports).

"Kristen Stewart are you ok? And by that I mean where were the hash brownies before u got hit" actor David Spade tweeted.

Many viewers even tweeted comments on both of the actresses appearing slightly off at the ceremony.

@kylemartino: And the nominees for Most Vacant Body at the Oscars are: Kristen Stewart, Renee Zellweger, and Joaquin Phoenix. #Oscars

‏@NicoleTubiola: Whatever pre-party Renee Zellweger & Kristen Stewart went to must have been a good one... #Oscars

‏@emilily88: I'm sorry but these Renee Zellweger and Kristen Stewart tweets are the most entertaining part of the #oscars.

@SandiMcKenna: LOL! RT @rickgriffin: RT @SandiMcKenna Is it just me or does Renee Zellweger look a bit off #Oscars <<Been partying with Kristen Stewart.

PageSix
 :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2013, 01:43:21 pm »
You make a valid point, LoaH, but I am capable of reading the assessments of others who do know.

???  What???   How so?  Strong statement for someone who admits hasn't even seen any of this stuff.

In fact, accepting the views of others who are informed is what we all do on a variety of subjects, not just films. And, btw, I am dubious about the "facts" presented in any film out of Hollywood, especially those dealing with history or politics, until I know better.

LoaH, consider the source.

You mean YOUR source?  Since this conversation is about the movie Argo (and why I didn't consider it to be liberal bovine excrement-based on the views of others who are informed is what we all do on a variety of subjects, not just films), I'll cite MY source-going and seeing the movie for myself.

I'll applaud any film that - in this day and age of tense Iranian relations and Hollywood anti Americanism- proceeds to unabashedly depict the Iranian muslims for the hate-filled animals they were and still are.  I'll also cheer a film that depicts and appreciates the US government's efforts, the CIA and America's intelligence community in general for their sheer guts and imagination in getting this coup pulled off successfully.   :beer:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2013, 07:12:03 pm »
Twitter: Were KStew and Renee Zellweger drunk at the Oscars?
Last Updated: 12:10 PM, February 25, 2013
Posted: 11:19 AM, February 25, 2013

Renee Zellweger and Kristen Stewart might have stolen the show last night at the Oscars, but not necessarily in a good way.

Their odd behavior as presenters at the 85th Annual Academy Awards caused viewers to tweet up a storm, with many suggesting that the usually composed starlets were inebriated during the broadcast. 
PageSix
 :laugh:

At one point when the four members from Chicago were presenting and Richard Gere handed the envelope to Zellweiger she was so unbalanced and unable to comment that Zeta-Jones stepped in quickly and read it herself.. .after that they all spoke around her and she never said another word, but she was wobbling back and forth, it was very obvious something was not right... and, yes, I had the same impression with Stewart who also looked glassy-eyed and disheveled.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2013, 07:32:23 pm »
That moment and Barbra Streisand's performance were the only few minutes we saw of the telecast, and I wondered what was going on when Gere gave the card to Zellweger and she didn't say anything.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2013, 12:50:32 am »
Renee is a pretty good actress. I judge her by that.

If she later turns out to have a substance problem, it won't be the first or last.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln