Author Topic: Danica wins Daytona 500 pole position  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Danica wins Daytona 500 pole position
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:36:58 pm »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Danica wins Daytona 500 pole position
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:41:04 pm »
Very bad title by Fox Sports.

That said, I am so sick of hearing about this woman.  She's an average driver at best, but because she is female and considered to be a hottie, the media just drools over her.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:44:46 pm »
Very bad title by Fox Sports

Bad, or an intentional double entendre? Whichever, it's still funnier than heck.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:50:49 pm »
Standard NASCAR description.  How else should the headline read?  The only change I would make is that the headline should include last name.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:58:19 pm »
Standard NASCAR description.  How else should the headline read?

Oh, maybe so, FDaY, but the wording brought out the teenage boy in me.

Should I go to my room?

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:09:05 pm »
Is this better? It's from the LA Times.

Danica Patrick is first woman to win Daytona 500 pole position

famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:38:17 pm »
Is this better? It's from the LA Times.

Danica Patrick is first woman to win Daytona 500 pole position

No.  Nothing from the LA Times is acceptable.  How bout treating her like another driver?  Which she is; like it or not,
Isn't that the idea?  How's this:

Danica Patrick Wins Pole Position for Daytona 500. 

PS:  Most old time fans (which NASCAR is deliberately alienating via abuser Brian France--totally UNLIKE his father and grandfather) does not receive Ms Patrick with the enthusiasm of the MSM.  In 2012, Ms Patrick (post race) turned around Sam Hornish for reasons only known to the turner

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:13:05 pm »
This is a nice accomplishment for her and I can actually understand the headlines to some extent.  She also knows that running in a crowd at Daytona is different than keeping a fast car in a fast groove for qualifying.  Later in his career, Bill Elliott knew this very well.  It will be interesting to see her in the first lap or two.  We will likely see all we will need to know by then.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

famousdayandyear

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 04:33:00 pm »
Danica's promotion is not necessarily intended to titillate "old time NASCAR fans", it's to attract new fans.  As she's done next to nothing on the track--winning this pole may be her biggest NASCAR accomplishment to date--old time fans should feel free to ignore her to their hearts' content...MUD

Just a note:  Old time fans traditionally keep a "quiet" eye on rookie drivers until their proficiencies as racers are proved.

It is true, that NASCAR management has focused on a more 'HipHop" fan base and it to a large extent it has failed.  (Note the EMPTY SEATS at Daytona -- and other venues--which used to be filled to the max.)  This year NASCAR has made a change older drivers have been screaming about for years--that is getting rid of the so-called "Car of the Future".   Speaking with some experience having worked the circuit for about a decade.   By the way, she also "won" the pole last year in NASCAR's "proving series--Nationwide and crashed out.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 05:16:10 pm »
This is a nice accomplishment for her and I can actually understand the headlines to some extent.  She also knows that running in a crowd at Daytona is different than keeping a fast car in a fast groove for qualifying.  Later in his career, Bill Elliott knew this very well.  It will be interesting to see her in the first lap or two.  We will likely see all we will need to know by then.

Absolutely.  Holding the lead in the first twin on Thursday will be something interesting to watch.  As you know, a qualifer engine/setup is a totally different animal than a competition car.   Rookie drivers are watched carefully and usually without overt criticism while they earn trust and prove skills from track to track. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:48 pm »
I used to LOVE NASCAR. Anyone remember the driver Buckshot Jones?   Sorry I digress. She isn't that good of a driver in my opinion. Lets see if she can finish a race without crashing.