Author Topic: Dodge’s Superbowl “God Made a Farmer” Ad Edits Out “Finish a Hard Week’s Work With a Five-Mile Drive to Church”  (Read 2232 times)

famousdayandyear

http://www.soopermexican.com/2013/02/06/dodges-superbowl-god-made-a-farmer-ad-edits-out-finish-a-hard-weeks-work-with-a-five-mile-drive-to-church/

Dodge’s Superbowl “God Made a Farmer” Ad Edits Out “Finish a Hard Week’s Work With a Five-Mile Drive to Church”

That very touching tribute to farmers that Dodge debuted at the Superbowl has a curious omission – the phrase, “and replenish the self-feeder and finish a hard week’s work with a five-mile drive to church” is cut out from the original Paul Harvey recitation.

Now that’s not the only part that’s cut, and I’m sure there were stylistic and timing issues to be considered, but I find it interesting, because that’s the only cut made right in mid-sentence.

Here’s the text of the original, with what the commercial cut out in strikeout text, from the Atlantic:

And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, “I need a caretaker.”

So God made a farmer.

God said, “I need somebody willing to get up before dawn, milk cows, work all day in the fields, milk cows again, eat supper and then go to town and stay past midnight at a meeting of the school board.” So God made a farmer.

“I need somebody with arms strong enough to rustle a calf and yet gentle enough to deliver his own grandchild. Somebody to call hogs, tame cantankerous machinery, come home hungry, have to wait lunch until his wife’s done feeding visiting ladies and tell the ladies to be sure and come back real soon — and mean it.” So God made a farmer.

God said, “I need somebody willing to sit up all night with a newborn colt. And watch it die. Then dry his eyes and say, ‘Maybe next year.’ I need somebody who can shape an ax handle from a persimmon sprout, shoe a horse with a hunk of car tire, who can make harness out of haywire, feed sacks and shoe scraps. And who, planting time and harvest season, will finish his forty-hour week by Tuesday noon, then, pain’n from ‘tractor back,’ put in another seventy-two hours.” So God made a farmer.

God had to have somebody willing to ride the ruts at double speed to get the hay in ahead of the rain clouds and yet stop in mid-field and race to help when he sees the first smoke from a neighbor’s place. So God made a farmer.

God said, “I need somebody strong enough to clear trees and heave bails, yet gentle enough to tame lambs and wean pigs and tend the pink-combed pullets, who will stop his mower for an hour to splint the broken leg of a meadow lark. It had to be somebody who’d plow deep and straight and not cut corners. Somebody to seed, weed, feed, breed and rake and disc and plow and plant and tie the fleece and strain the milk and replenish the self-feeder and finish a hard week’s work with a five-mile drive to church.

Somebody who’d bale a family together with the soft strong bonds of sharing, who would laugh and then sigh, and then reply, with smiling eyes, when his son says he wants to spend his life ‘doing what dad does.’

So God made a farmer.

Now is this some great conspiracy? No of course not.

The entire thing is drenched in God-talk, that’s the whole point! But, I note that the one cut made in mid-sentence, is the only one that portrays the farmer recognizing God, and worshiping Him.

Maybe it was too tough to make Americans appreciate the farmer and additionally force them to face the respect for faith that “fly-over” country has.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Wow!

There should be an immediate boycott of all Chrysler products.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

Wow!

Could it have been the network, or the NFL who ordered the mid-sentence edit?  Not Dodge?  Just asking cause I don;t know how these things work

Offline Cincinnatus

Could it have been the network, or the NFL who ordered the mid-sentence edit?

Why should either do so? I think it was deliberate and if I had my guess it was done by the ad agency who put this together because they didn't want to "offend" anyone. I doubt anyone at Dodge/Chrysler knew they had done it which doesn't matter to me since I have never bought one of their crappy vehicles anyway.

Yes, I know the concept of God is mentioned throughout but in a sort of whimsical way predicated on the story of the Creation in Genesis. Stating the family goes to Church is qualitatively different.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:14:22 am by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The five mile drive to church completes the circle where the DODGE truck takes you.

And they left it out? 

Believe me, the copywriter and artistic director are thoroughly peeved.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

The five mile drive to church completes the circle where the DODGE truck takes you.

And they left it out? 

Believe me, the copywriter and artistic director are thoroughly peeved.

Good point, DC.  Seems more and more like a post-production edit

Online mountaineer

Wow!

I still won't buy a Chrysler or GM product because of the gubmint bailout. The ad is irrelevant to that choice.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Relic

Wow!

Done.

I don't buy Fiats.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Good grief. That ad mentions God how many times and people get all worked up about one line— one of many— that was cut?

No wonder liberals hate us.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

famousdayandyear

Good grief. That ad mentions God how many times and people get all worked up about one line— one of many— that was cut?

No wonder liberals hate us.

1) The voice-over was edited MID SENTENCE
2) Liberals hate individual freedom period/
3) So they hate us--you care?  If you stand for anything solid, they will hate you.  So what.  Liberalism is a mental disorder

Online mountaineer

Didn't look to me like people were "all worked up" over anything. We were just discussing it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Queen

That liberal one was great, Mud. :beer: