Author Topic: World’s most energy efficient light bulb: NanoLight  (Read 2984 times)

famousdayandyear

World’s most energy efficient light bulb: NanoLight
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:25:27 pm »
http://www.electronicproducts.com/Optoelectronics/LEDs/World_s_most_energy_efficient_light_bulb.aspx

World’s most energy efficient light bulb

NanoLight surpasses standard fluorescents and LEDs
BY MELISSA SUE SORRELLS GALLEY

It may look a little funny, but NanoLight is used to the stares. The futuristic-looking light bulb has an unconventional look big enough to match its unique energy-efficiency.

A 12-watt NanoLight in white.

The bulbs look a bit like a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle, all sharp corners and seams, because that’s essentially what they are: several small circuit boards with LEDs connected that are cut to fit together. The loose, interconnected design allows the bulb to dissipate more heat than a standard bulb while also directing light in all directions.

“Most bulbs are hidden away in enclosures and never seen,” say NanoLight’s creators, Gimmy Chu, Tom Rodinger, and Christian Yan. “The look should not be important. In certain installations though, we think the NanoLight is quite fitting, offering a unique futuristic look. We can’t wait to see what people do with them.”

Currently, NanoLight comes in 10W and 12W bulbs. While the 10W uses 50% less energy than a compact fluorescent bulb with the same light output, the 12W is NanoLight’s breakthrough product. The bulb generates more than 1600 lumens, equivalent to a 100W incandescent light bulb. That works out to a little more than 133 lumens per watt — about 200% more efficient than other light bulbs on the market.

Despite its incredible efficiency, both versions of NanoLight stay cool to the touch even after hours of use. And, unlike compact fluorescent lights, the NanoLight achieves full brightness the instant it is turned on, eliminating the slow, flickering effect.

The project almost immediately surpassed its $20,000 goal on Kickstarter with more than 2,000 backers pledging over $100,000. Until March 8, you can add your pledge to the campaign. A 10W bulb is available for a $30 pledge, while the 12W version requires a $45 pledge.

Despite their success, Chu, Rodinger, and Yan continue to improve on NanoLight. They’re working with a graphic designer on the possibility of printing artwork onto the bulb and are also developing a dimmable prototype of NanoLight.

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: World’s most energy efficient light bulb: NanoLight
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:45:26 pm »
That's very cool, FDaY, and if it saves me money, you bet.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:24:46 am »
It looks like something that would have come out of second or third year design studio in an architecture school.

Offline Saltbag

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:27:58 am »
Unfortunately, it's so radioactive that it needs to be encased in concrete for 700 years after it burns out.  (Kidding)  :beer:
"Any act of government must necessarily reduce freedom" - Thomas Sowell

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 04:47:41 am »
Unfortunately, it's so radioactive that it needs to be encased in concrete for 700 years after it burns out.  (Kidding)  :beer:

:silly:

famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 04:57:27 am »
Not so fast, smart guys.  Laugh as you may at it's angular design; but technically the thing makes sense.  Compare to the curly fry lamp; and discuss.

Offline Saltbag

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:09:31 pm »
Not so fast, smart guys.  Laugh as you may at it's angular design; but technically the thing makes sense.  Compare to the curly fry lamp; and discuss.

Okay... okay...

I've noted that the curly fry bulbs have a fat base by the socket, and don't fit in a number of the lamps at my house that have a recessed socket.  This design looks better.  My question of this design is the quality and diffusion of the light provided by an LED bulb.  The angular panels will only do so much to diffuse the light evenly, and how "comfortable" the light spectrum is TBD.

Guilty until proven innocent!  :pondering:

EDIT:  I will note that LED's last way longer than incandescent and fluorescent sources.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:12:38 pm by Saltbag »

famousdayandyear

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 08:36:36 pm »
Okay... okay...

I've noted that the curly fry bulbs have a fat base by the socket, and don't fit in a number of the lamps at my house that have a recessed socket.  This design looks better.  My question of this design is the quality and diffusion of the light provided by an LED bulb.  The angular panels will only do so much to diffuse the light evenly, and how "comfortable" the light spectrum is TBD.

Guilty until proven innocent!  :pondering:

EDIT:  I will note that LED's last way longer than incandescent and fluorescent sources.

So you actually have the CFLs installed in your home.  So good luck with them and hope the CFL propaganda works out for you.  Be careful, though.  Don't break one.

Offline Saltbag

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 08:40:59 pm »
So you actually have the CFLs installed in your home.  So good luck with them and hope the CFL propaganda works out for you.  Be careful, though.  Don't break one.

That's unnecessarily insulting and you're making assumptions. They were giving them away for free at Home Depot as a promotion.  I think that's the only way they're getting sold until it's completely mandated.  I wanted to check one out.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:39:28 pm by Saltbag »

famousdayandyear

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:42:26 pm »
That's unnecessarily insulting and you're making assumptions. They were giving them away for free at Home Depot as a promotion.  I think that's the only way they're getting sold until it's completely mandated.  I wanted to check one out.

Did not intend to insult you.  I guessed (yes, assumed) you had CFLs, based on your post.  And that they were working out for you, with some exceptions.  So, I do not want to hunt for a worm to eat; rather try to be friends.  God knows I already have enemies. :shrug:

Offline Saltbag

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 12:37:25 am »
Life is too short to squabble about light bulbs.  We have bigger fish to fry. :)

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 05:09:01 am »
Life is too short to squabble about light bulbs.  We have bigger fish to fry. :)

To quote from Despicable Me:  light bulb!