Author Topic: New U.S. jobless claims jump 38,000 to 368,000  (Read 2437 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
New U.S. jobless claims jump 38,000 to 368,000
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:16:33 pm »
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-us-jobless-claims-jump-38000-to-368000-2013-01-31-8913013?link=MW_latest_news

Market Pulse Archives

Jan. 31, 2013, 8:30 a.m. EST
New U.S. jobless claims jump 38,000 to 368,000

By Jeffry Bartash

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - The number of people who filed new applications for U.S. unemployment benefits climbed 38,000 to a seasonally adjusted 368,000 in the week ended Jan. 26, putting them at a one-month high, according to Labor Department data released Thursday. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch expected claims to climb to 355,000. Initial claims have returned to a level that prevailed through the later stages of 2012 after touching a five-year low earlier this month. Claims are often extremely jumpy in January after the end of the holidays and the start of a new year. Companies let go of temporary hires and some people wait until after the holidays to file claims. Initial claims from two weeks ago were unrevised at 330,000. The average of new claims over the past month, meanwhile, edged up by 250 to 352,000. The four-week average reduces seasonal volatility in the weekly data and is seen as a more accurate barometer of labor-market trends. Also, Labor said continuing claims increased by 22,000 to a seasonally adjusted 3.2 million in the week ended Jan. 19. Continuing claims reflect the number of people already receiving benefits. About 5.9 million people received some kind of state or federal benefit in the week ended Jan. 12, up 255,501 from the prior week. Total claims are reported with a two-week lag.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: New U.S. jobless claims jump 38,000 to 368,000
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:16:56 pm »
Repub's fault too!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:38:30 pm »
Repub's fault too!

It's hopeless. Anything, absolutely anything can be blamed on Republicans. The Obama media will report it as fact, and the stupid American public, if they happen to notice, will believe the Obama media.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:53:05 pm »
It is certainly a broken record.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:17:09 pm »
I heard Simon Rosenberg tell Megyn Kelly that our economy is great and in a good recovery .. Mark Thiessen was slack-jawed at his assertions.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 07:19:40 pm »
I heard Simon Rosenberg tell Megyn Kelly that our economy is great and in a good recovery .. Mark Thiessen was slack-jawed at his assertions.

Well, it would be great ...if about 25 MILLION Americans were to die suddenly.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 07:30:52 pm »

Well, it would be great ...if about 25 MILLION Americans were to die suddenly.

A billion hollow point rounds should be able to do the trick.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 07:38:26 pm »
A billion hollow point rounds should be able to do the trick.

Relic, my man.......I'm not laughing.    :pondering:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 08:14:56 pm »
Relic, my man.......I'm not laughing.    :pondering:

Neither am I. I suspect that every place a government has run amok, the citizens all thought the same thing: "It can't happen here."

If you mention stuff like this, people look at you with that "It can't happen here" look.

When people believe that, is precisely when it can happen.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 08:23:29 pm »
Neither am I. I suspect that every place a government has run amok, the citizens all thought the same thing: "It can't happen here."

If you mention stuff like this, people look at you with that "It can't happen here" look.

When people believe that, is precisely when it can happen.

I try to explain to people that the German citizen in the 1930's wasn't illiterate.  The people that manned the ovens had families of their own.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 09:30:40 pm »
They are revising the Nov and Dec numbers claiming there were more hires than reported.  (DUH!  Christmas holiday retail help anybody?}

Then, they're surprised when they see some of those 'unexpected' hires become 'unexpected' job losses.     :shrug:

Offline Relic

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 09:40:14 pm »
They are revising the Nov and Dec numbers claiming there were more hires than reported.  (DUH!  Christmas holiday retail help anybody?}

Then, they're surprised when they see some of those 'unexpected' hires become 'unexpected' job losses.     :shrug:

The Obama team is expert at manipulating stupid people. Which explains an incompetent fool like Obama being re-elected.

The Obama team is absolutely clueless when it comes to economics, a characteristic of most leftists.