Author Topic: My Wife Is My Sister (or the perils of modern living)  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

My Wife Is My Sister (or the perils of modern living)
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:02:58 am »
A bizarre letter which appeared in the "Slate" advice column, Dear Prudence.

A man wrote in describing his ideal romance with his wife, college sweethearts who married and now have 3 children. We were both born to lesbians, she to a couple, and me to a single woman. She had sought out her biological father as soon as she turned 18, as the sperm bank her parents used allowed contact once the children were 18 if both parties consented

He claims he was never really interested in his biological origins but decided his children might need the information some day. So he, too, inquired and discovered that, ...even though our parents had used different sperm banks, it appears so did our father, as he is the same person.

He then states he has yet to tell his wife/sister and asks Prudence what he should do.

I know the whole thing sounds like a put on, and very well may be, but Prudence advised him to talk it over with his wife/sister and then the two of them should seek counseling [No! Really?]

You can read all about this sad tale at  http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2013/02/dear_prudence_my_wife_and_i_came_from_the_same_sperm_donor.html
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: My Wife Is My Sister (or the perils of modern living)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 05:11:28 am »
Just being raised the way they were the odds of being anywhere close to normal were very low.

But if it is true, it is not their fault.  It does create a major mess, legally, biologically, and only God know what else.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 02:49:40 pm »
Just being raised the way they were the odds of being anywhere close to normal were very low.

But if it is true, it is not their fault.  It does create a major mess, legally, biologically, and only God know what else.

I bet this has happened thousands of times. Women having six kids by six different men, and those men go on to produce more children. It is likely a lot of them will meet up again.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:01:48 pm »

Joe Dirt?    :bolt:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan