Author Topic: DARPA's Very Hi Res Surveillance Camera: ARGUS  (Read 2880 times)

Oceander

Re: DARPA's Very Hi Res Surveillance Camera: ARGUS
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:29:45 am »
We can no longer take any sense of privacy for granted.  That camera is not ARGUS, it's Big Brother 2.0.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:17:31 am »
Thanks for posting this!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:47:58 am »
What you are seeing here is a very limited system, which explains why you are seeing it. We have much more sophisticated systems than this. This is just a standard 'optical' system which is limited by clouds, weather, and other issues. Also, we have systems which could get the license number off those cars if we wanted to. As impressive as this may seem to a layman, it is technology from decades ago, and is nothing compared to what we have today.

I acually wrote a couple more paragraphs but just deleted them. I was not sure whether what I was writing was classified or not, and so decided to err on the side of caution. It is enough to say that the surveillance systems we have and which are in development would blow your mind in terms of what we can see and do. Enough said.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:47:27 pm »
What you are seeing here is a very limited system, which explains why you are seeing it. We have much more sophisticated systems than this. This is just a standard 'optical' system which is limited by clouds, weather, and other issues. Also, we have systems which could get the license number off those cars if we wanted to. As impressive as this may seem to a layman, it is technology from decades ago, and is nothing compared to what we have today.

I acually wrote a couple more paragraphs but just deleted them. I was not sure whether what I was writing was classified or not, and so decided to err on the side of caution. It is enough to say that the surveillance systems we have and which are in development would blow your mind in terms of what we can see and do. Enough said.

It's always been like that.

The technology that the public is experiencing as "new", has been in the government's hands for decades.

May I ask how you would have firsthand knowledge of classified information regarding technology...to the point of fearing saying something that could get you in trouble?

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:00:00 pm »

I've always assumed the federal government could get real time, very high resolution moving images of just about anywhere on the planet from satellites now in orbit.  Drones are pretty much for the added benefit of weaponry, no?

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 01:14:07 pm »
It's always been like that.

The technology that the public is experiencing as "new", has been in the government's hands for decades.

May I ask how you would have firsthand knowledge of classified information regarding technology...to the point of fearing saying something that could get you in trouble?

I worked on advanced image processing systems for Lockheed with a TK/SCI. All the major international security services already know, more or less, what I may or may not say, as they have similar systems themselves. I would not surprise Britain, Russia, Israel, or China, for example, as far as I know. The concern is about tipping off civilians, the 3rd world, criminals, and drug dealers, who don't know our capabilities.

Yeah, I could get myself in trouble if I spilled everything I know on-line. Best just to leave it alone.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 01:27:03 pm »
I've always assumed the federal government could get real time, very high resolution moving images of just about anywhere on the planet from satellites now in orbit.  Drones are pretty much for the added benefit of weaponry, no?

The problem has to do with getting the sat over the target. You can change the orbit of a satellite, but it is a fairly major undertaking. Drones are disposable and highly manuverable. Also, you can fire from a drone. You can get a drone on target very quickly.

But, there are also unmanned very high altitude solar gliders you can put up to continuously surveil an assigned area, or to act as an airborne communications relay station, or both. These things can stay up almost indefinitely and are also highly manuverable.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 01:40:25 pm »
For anyone interested. Another project from DARPA.

Security Industry DARPA loses high-altitude glider

Published: April 28, 2010 at 8:56 AM
VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif., April 28 (UPI) -- The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency said it lost the signal from its Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle-2 following a successful launch.

Space technology company Orbital Sciences Corp. hailed the successful launch of its Minotaur IV rocket that carried DARPA's Hypersonic Technology Vehicle-2, a space glider, into space.

Orbital Sciences launched the Minotaur from Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., last week. The company said the rocket flew a suborbital trajectory and delivered the HTV-2 glide vehicle to the desired separation conditions.

DARPA described the HTV-2 program as a glide vehicle meant to test unmanned flight at speeds of up to Mach 20, about 15,200 miles an hour.

Aviation Week reported that the vehicle was meant to serve as an ultra-high speed, high-atmosphere global strike weapon. The report said the first mission was meant to collect aerodynamic data with a 2011 test set to test speeds of up to Mach 25.

DARPA announced that it lost the signal from the HTV-2 about 9 minutes into the mission.

"An engineering team is reviewing available data to understand this event," the defense agency said.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2010/04/28/DARPA-loses-high-altitude-glider/UPI-13161272459393/#ixzz2JYnFSMKy

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:29:56 am »

You are, of course, exactly right.  The question then becomes, was there an ulterior purpose in releasing this information?  Perhaps a way of gently reminding people that they are, in fact, being watched in real time?

This is essentially the panopticon on steroids, and turns us all into objects.

From the wikipedia article:
Although the Panopticon prison design did not come to fruition during Bentham's time, it has been seen as an important development.  It was invoked by Michel Foucault (in Discipline and Punish) as metaphor for modern "disciplinary" societies and their pervasive inclination to observe and normalise.

ARGUS - all the better to observe and normalise us all.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:03 am »
This is essentially the panopticon on steroids, and turns us all into objects.

Thanks for the link.  New info/perspective to read about.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 04:47:01 am »
Thanks for the link.  New info/perspective to read about.

It is.  And - provided one can wade through the jargon - Michel Foucault's writings about these things is worth the read, which is not something one can often say of a contemporary French philosopher.  For all that academics, lefties in particular, would try to claim him, the fact remains that the essence of his writings points out the essential fascism of liberalism/progressivism - as discipline and control veiled with the fig-leaf of enlightenment and knowledge.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 04:55:07 am »
It is.  And - provided one can wade through the jargon - Michel Foucault's writings about these things is worth the read, which is not something one can often say of a contemporary French philosopher.  For all that academics, lefties in particular, would try to claim him, the fact remains that the essence of his writings points out the essential fascism of liberalism/progressivism - as discipline and control veiled with the fig-leaf of enlightenment and knowledge.

Intriguing.  Some postulations (is that a word?)  (philosophical or theological) seem to be as old as time itself.