Author Topic: Ray Lewis overload, Alex Smith's fate, more mail  (Read 1287 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Ray Lewis overload, Alex Smith's fate, more mail
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:30:03 pm »
Ray Lewis overload, Alex Smith's fate, more mail

NEW ORLEANS --- One thing, as Super Bowl week kicks off in full Tuesday with Media Day at the Superdome, I think that I should have dropped into Monday Morning Quarterback:

I think America is getting tired of Ray Lewis.

It's not his fault, entirely. He is who he is, the biggest football emoter (is that a word?) of our lifetime and maybe of all time. It's not his fault that there will be something like 4,000 accredited media here to chronicle what he says and does during the week, and the cameras isolated on him to document his every impassioned quote. He's one of the top -- pick one -- 20 or 30 players of all time, and every game could be his last, and the amount of media over-saturation on the sport of pro football is so out of control that of course the retirement of a legendary player is going to engender coverage out the wazoo. Every media outlet for the last month, since Lewis said this is going to be his last season, has been scrambling to report and cover the life and times and football story of Ray Lewis, because that's what we do when great players are going to retire. We beat the living crap out of the story until you're so sick of it you beg us to stop.

I am not saying it's right, I am not saying it's just, I am just saying we all have a job to do.

Then, of course, there's the matter of the double homicide in Atlanta 13 years ago, for which Ray Lewis was charged. In exchange for his testimony against two other men with Lewis that night, the charges against Lewis were dismissed. He was convicted of obstruction of justice instead, and the NFL suspended him for four games and fined him $250,000. No one was ever convicted of the murders, and the families of two men are bitter to this day about it.

Whenever I write about Lewis, a string of angry tweets and/or e-mails follow, asking how can I always gloss over the fact that Lewis was a murderer. I don't gloss over it, because you're innocent 'til proven guilty in this country, and Lewis was never convicted of murder, and so in my eyes he's not a murderer. Did something bad happen that night that we'll never know the full story about? Certainly. Was Lewis disingenuous with authorities about the case? Apparently, because of the obstruction-of-justice conviction. But it's pretty serious business to call a man a murderer, and no one has ever produced credible evidence that he is one. If you want to believe in his guilt for the killings, go ahead. I don't.

excerpted:  Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130129/ray-lewis-darrelle-revis-mailbag/#

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Ray Lewis overload, Alex Smith's fate, more mail
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:43:52 pm »
I am so pleased to note I have no idea who this guy is.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:47:46 pm »
He's a thug.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:03:27 pm »
He's a thug

Can't that be said about just about everyone in the NFL and NBA? It's one of the primary reasons I no longer pay any attention to professional sports.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:54 pm »
He actually was involved in a murder. Not all NFL players can say that!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:30:01 pm »
I actually don't have a problem with injured players using "stuff" to heal in the quickest amount of time.

It's the players who use it on a regular basis in order to maintain a higher quality performance on the field.

It's okay to be Superman if you're trying to get back on the active roster.....It's not okay to cheat as an active player on the roster.

Does that make any sense?    :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:36:18 pm »
I suspect Lewis' torn bicep was the result of steroid use. Then he used the deer antler stuff to try to recover from the bicep injury.