Author Topic: Court sets aside 2 of 4 Casey Anthony convictions  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Court sets aside 2 of 4 Casey Anthony convictions
« on: January 25, 2013, 11:35:34 pm »
A Florida appellate court on Friday set aside two of the four convictions Casey Anthony faced for lying to detectives during the investigation into her missing 2-year-old daughter.

Judges on the 5th District Court of Appeals agreed with Anthony's attorneys that two of the charges constituted double jeopardy, or being convicted or punished more than once for the same crime.

"We cannot conclude that the Legislature intended to authorize separate punishment for each false statement made during a single interview," the judges said in their ruling.

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?ps=931&rip_id=<DA41BI402%40news.ap.org>
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Court sets aside 2 of 4 Casey Anthony convictions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:45:55 am »
I watched the Lifetime movie about her trial last weekend. What a dumb jury... but then if the prosecution had done a better job searching the computer and had found the "how to suffocate someone without being detected" search that "might" have helped.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:58:36 am »
I watched it too.  Agreed.  But even without that "effective suffocation" Google search or whatever it was that wasn't picked up, a reasonably intelligent bunch would have convicted her anyway, at least of second degree murder--they had the option of that verdict too.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 04:06:28 am »
I watched it too.  Agreed.  But even without that "effective suffocation" Google search or whatever it was that wasn't picked up, a reasonably intelligent bunch would have convicted her anyway, at least of second degree murder--they had the option of that verdict too.

These jury verdicts we're seeing lately (from OJ forward) are indicative of how far our education has fallen in teaching critical thinking skills.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:33:02 am »
Are you watching any of the Jodi Arias trial going on in AZ right now?  Let's see if the jury is dumb enough to let HER get off.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 04:40:28 am »
Are you watching any of the Jodi Arias trial going on in AZ right now?  Let's see if the jury is dumb enough to let HER get off.

Oh, yes... it is big news down here... I can't imagine her getting off....

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 04:44:38 am »
I DVR'd Nancy Grace's Mysteries tonight and watching it now-she's covering week 4 of the trial and pretty much ripping her to shreds.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 04:52:57 am »
I DVR'd Nancy Grace's Mysteries tonight and watching it now-she's covering week 4 of the trial and pretty much ripping her to shreds.

Arias really wasn't as smart as she thought she was.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 01:43:58 pm »
These jury verdicts we're seeing lately (from OJ forward) are indicative of how far our education has fallen in teaching critical thinking skills.

That or how easy it's become to weasel out of jury duty.  Once it becomes easy enough, those with real jobs and significant calls on their time will inevitably get out of jury duty while those with not much else to do, or those from amongst the growing mob who get their jollies from so-called "reality" TV will stick around just for kicks.  Think of it as more akin to voting on Dancing with the Stars than as fulfilling a solemn civic duty.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 09:23:53 pm »
Our local Phoenix reporter covering the trial and reporting on it to Greta said the majority of the jurors are men and they have been stone-faced throughout the majority of the trial except when the pics of his head with the cut throat were shown to them... reporter said his neck reminded you of a large fish with it's mouth wide open.  Said there was quite a reaction from all the jurors to seeing the pic... they also said she is VERY charismatic and most feel her only chance to get off will be to testify as she can charm the birds out of the trees...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 09:33:39 pm »
That or how easy it's become to weasel out of jury duty.  Once it becomes easy enough, those with real jobs and significant calls on their time will inevitably get out of jury duty while those with not much else to do, or those from amongst the growing mob who get their jollies from so-called "reality" TV will stick around just for kicks.  Think of it as more akin to voting on Dancing with the Stars than as fulfilling a solemn civic duty.
I served a few years ago on a case with a wheelchair bound guy who goes about suing small fast food restaurants, over access issues. The Mom & Pop kind, without deep pockets for defense lawyers.

He has done it successfully for years. It is a numbers game. He has a mediocre lawyer, and they don't put on a very strong case. But the appeal is to jurors too stupid to see through it. He wins enough in court, and he wins be out of court settlements.

Our jury started off with several willing to give him a win. But some of us pointed out it was a racket, etc. They were easy to change. They just wanted it over, and to go home. Some of those jurors were Vietnamese American citizens. Easily influenced.

So in the end, the plaintiff got handed a loss, thanks to a jury in The OC. He probably has better pickings over the county line in Lost Angeles County, the lande of more takers.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 09:50:18 pm »
Excuse me but just what does this, . I served a few years ago on a case with a wheelchair bound guy... etc., etc., have to do with the topic of this thread which is Court sets aside 2 of 4 Casey Anthony convictions? Perhaps we can get back to addressing that issue.

(Sorry, folks, but I just couldn't resist. What goes around, comes around.)
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 10:08:22 pm »
Excuse me but just what does this, . I served a few years ago on a case with a wheelchair bound guy... etc., etc., have to do with the topic of this thread which is Court sets aside 2 of 4 Casey Anthony convictions? Perhaps we can get back to addressing that issue.

(Sorry, folks, but I just couldn't resist. What goes around, comes around.)
It goes to support  the oft-made claim that juries are screwed up. Sorry if that connection was not as clear as it could have been.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 02:24:45 pm »

Goes back a lot farther than OJ. I remember, when I was a Law School intern with a prosecutor's office, that one of the ADAs got a hung jury on a grounder. The case had everything but a videotape of the perp doing it and the Pope as a witness. Reason they hung? An older lady on the jury [the holdout] explained that the defendant had testified he was innocent. And on the all TV shows she watched, when that happened, the screen defendant was.

As for OJ, that one was lost for three reasons. First Garcetti opted to have it tried in South Central instead of Brentwood [where it happened] to keep the brothers from screaming racial prejudice [A Brentwood jury would have been more White, more affluent, and better educated]. Second Marcia Clark wanted a lot of women on the jury, asumming [wrongly] that sisterhood trumped race where abuse was posited [it didn't]. And thirdly, nobody on the jury had more than a high school diploma - in a DNA case.  :shrug:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 03:47:11 pm »
Our local Phoenix reporter covering the trial and reporting on it to Greta said the majority of the jurors are men and they have been stone-faced throughout the majority of the trial except when the pics of his head with the cut throat were shown to them... reporter said his neck reminded you of a large fish with it's mouth wide open.  Said there was quite a reaction from all the jurors to seeing the pic... they also said she is VERY charismatic and most feel her only chance to get off will be to testify as she can charm the birds out of the trees...

I think it was Aphrodite Jones who drew the analogy between Scott Peterson, Casey Anthony and Jodie Arias.  All very attractive people, all charismatic to a point, and all unbelievable liars.  Also, all of them in sales of some kind (I don't know where they got that--Casey Anthony had a pretend job). 

I hope Arias does take the stand.  I'd love to see the prosecution tear into her abuse defense.   All those nude photos of her don't show a bruise or anything else on her.

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 03:50:41 pm »
Goes back a lot farther than OJ. I remember, when I was a Law School intern with a prosecutor's office, that one of the ADAs got a hung jury on a grounder. The case had everything but a videotape of the perp doing it and the Pope as a witness. Reason they hung? An older lady on the jury [the holdout] explained that the defendant had testified he was innocent. And on the all TV shows she watched, when that happened, the screen defendant was.

As for OJ, that one was lost for three reasons. First Garcetti opted to have it tried in South Central instead of Brentwood [where it happened] to keep the brothers from screaming racial prejudice [A Brentwood jury would have been more White, more affluent, and better educated]. Second Marcia Clark wanted a lot of women on the jury, asumming [wrongly] that sisterhood trumped race where abuse was posited [it didn't]. And thirdly, nobody on the jury had more than a high school diploma - in a DNA case.  :shrug:

A high school diploma nowadays is probably about akin to completing the 6th grade back in 1960.

It would be interesting to see the break-out of the Casey Anthony jury though. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 03:53:28 pm »

Newsmax
Casey Anthony Files for Bankruptcy in Florida
Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:15 PM

Casey Anthony filed for bankruptcy in Florida on Friday, claiming about $1,100 in assets and $792,000 in liabilities.

Court records show that Anthony, who was acquitted of killing her 2-year-old daughter Caylee in 2011, filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in federal court in Tampa.

Her listed debts include $500,000 for attorney fees and costs for her criminal defense lawyer during the trial, Jose Baez; $145,660 for the Orange County Sheriff's office for a judgment covering investigative fees and costs; $68,540 for the Internal Revenue Service for taxes, interest and penalties; and $61,505 for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for court costs.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Casey-Anthony-files-bankruptcy/2013/01/26/id/487525
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 06:34:47 pm »
A high school diploma nowadays is probably about akin to completing the 6th grade back in 1960.

It would be interesting to see the break-out of the Casey Anthony jury though.

The interview with juror #3 didn't show her to be all that smart.

As to OJ agree with everything Plz posted above.... massive mistake moving that case to downtown LA... and even though OJ was black, he was far from one of them.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 06:35:50 pm »
Newsmax
Casey Anthony Files for Bankruptcy in Florida
Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:15 PM

Casey Anthony filed for bankruptcy in Florida on Friday, claiming about $1,100 in assets and $792,000 in liabilities.

Court records show that Anthony, who was acquitted of killing her 2-year-old daughter Caylee in 2011, filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in federal court in Tampa.

Her listed debts include $500,000 for attorney fees and costs for her criminal defense lawyer during the trial, Jose Baez; $145,660 for the Orange County Sheriff's office for a judgment covering investigative fees and costs; $68,540 for the Internal Revenue Service for taxes, interest and penalties; and $61,505 for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for court costs.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Casey-Anthony-files-bankruptcy/2013/01/26/id/487525

Jose Biaz - the ambulance chaser - is representing some people in lawsuits against the movie theater in Aurora, CO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 03:24:00 am »

I've been following it to...so help me if this jury lets this monster off there is no hope....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 01:58:42 pm »
Nancy Grace is covering week 5 of the trial on Nancy Grace Mysteries this weekend-HLN.