Author Topic: STAN 'THE MAN' MUSIAL DIES AT 92  (Read 1202 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
STAN 'THE MAN' MUSIAL DIES AT 92
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:18:14 am »
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/stan-musial-dies-at/article_663ad0b8-d8fb-5cdd-8fd3-8f397f7a263a.html

34 minutes ago  •  By Rick Hummel

One night after his longtime friend and teammate Red Schoendienst was honored on his upcoming 90th birthday, fellow Cardinals Hall of Famer Stan Musial died quietly at age 92 at 5:45 p.m. Saturday at his St. Louis County home under Hospice care.

Musial’s family members who did not live here had gathered in the last day when Musial’s health had deteriorated. A family spokesman made the announcement.

Musial, who turned 92 in November, has been in declining health for the last several years, including being afflicted with Alzheimer’s disease. Lillian Musial, his wife of more than 70 years, had died last May 4.

Considered the greatest Cardinal of them all, Musial also likely was the most popular Cardinal of them all, continuing to make his home in St. Louis after his retirement in 1963.

Playing his entire 22-season career with the Cardinals, Musial is the franchise leader in virtually every category, including hits at 3,630, splitting them evenly at 1,815 at home and 1,815 on the road.

Selected to play in a record-tying 24 All-Star Games, Musial won seven National League batting titles.

Signed to a professional contract by the St. Louis Cardinals as a pitcher 1938, Musial was converted into an outfielder, where he made his major league debut in 1941.

At the time of his retirement, Musial held or shared 17 major league records, 29 National League records, and nine All-Star Game records. In addition to overseeing businesses such as Stan Musial and Biggie’s restaurant, Musial served as the Cardinals' general manager in 1967 and then quit after his team won both the National League title and World Series that year.

Musial was selected to the Major League Baseball All-Century team in 1999 and President Barack Obama presented Musial with the presidential medal of freedom, the highest honor that can be bestowed on a civilian, at the White House on Feb 15, 2011.

A bronze statue has stood outside the last two Busch Stadium facilities, now residing on newly-dedicated Musial Plaza. The inscription reads, “Here stands baseball’s perfect warrior. Here stands baseball’s perfect knight.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: STAN 'THE MAN' MUSIAL DIES AT 92
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:09:52 pm »
My parents took me to Stan's restaurant in St. Louis after my high school graduation. It was such a treat (fancy schmancy, by my standards!), and I was hoping to see "the Man" there. He was a real icon in that town.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:16:22 pm »
I recall seeing Stan Musial during the All-Star game in Camden Yards in Baltimore.

As a little boy who watched him run with abandon, it was a shock to my system seeing him hardly walking even with the assist of a cane.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »
Musial is in baseball heaven now, and my baseball-obsessed late husband is thrilled to have him, I am sure. 

There IS baseball in heaven!   :beer: