Author Topic: Study: Male Jurors More Likely To Find Overweight Women Guilty  (Read 1665 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Study: Male Jurors More Likely To Find Overweight Women Guilty
« on: January 15, 2013, 11:37:50 pm »
http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2013/01/12/study-male-jurors-more-likely-to-find-overweight-women-guilty/

Study: Male Jurors More Likely To Find Overweight Women Guilty
January 12, 2013 11:53 AM

New Haven, Conn. (CBS CONNECTICUT) – Male members of a jury are more likely to find a defendant guilty if the accused person is an overweight female.

According to a recent study by Yale University psychologists, male – and not female – jurors are also more inclined to believe that a fat woman is a repeat offender who had malicious intent.

The researchers gathered a group of 471 pretend peers of varying body sizes and described to them a case of check fraud. They also presented them with one of four images—either a large man, a lean man, a large woman, or a lean woman—and identified the person in the photograph as the defendant.

Participants rated the pretend-defendant’s guilt on a five-point scale. No fat bias was present when the female pretend peers evaluated the fake female defendants or when either men or women assessed the guilt of the men.

But when the male pretend peers pronounced judgment on the fake female defendants – physical bias weighed in on their decision.

The skinnier male jurors took the accusations to a step further.

The male pretend jurors were proven to be “significantly more likely” to find the obese female defendants—rather than the slim ones—guilty, but the slimmer male participants were the harshest, frequently labeling the fat women “repeat offenders” with “awareness” of their crimes.

Women were shown to have little to no weight bias towards any of the ‘defendants’ and there was no fat-bias by any gender when assessing male defendants.

An overweight person has a Body Mass Index of 25-30, over 30 is classified as obese. A normal weight BMI is 18.5-25. The American Medical Association lists that the average Americans’ BMI is 28.6.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Study: Male Jurors More Likely To Find Overweight Women Guilty
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:42:32 am »
Fat America.   

Guilty of Sloth and sheer laziness. Little wonder we are in decline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_map_of_Female_Obesity,_2008.svg

Only Saudi Arabia, Paraguay and Mexico compare with our fat figures.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 12:46:01 am »
Those bad immoral men.  Women are such paragons of virtue.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Allegra

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:50:18 am »
Those bad immoral men.  Women are such paragons of virtue.

Pretty sweeping generalization there...
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:05:43 am »

Did I need a /sarc tag there?   :beer:
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Allegra

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:18:12 am »
Did I need a /sarc tag there?   :beer:

Oh, I got the sarcasm...  :tongue2:
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 01:52:11 pm »

Years ago, I was breaking in a new ADA in traffic court, and it was radar speed day. Radar speed cases were excellent training tools. You had witness testimony [and expert testimony] from the cop. You had documentary records to put in, and maybe a 2d cop to testify about scientific tests on the radar.

Anyhow, the cop on this case was the best I ever saw. He could literally estimate the speed of any car right on the money. The kid did a great job. But at the end of the People's case, the judge dismissed on reasonable doubt. the defendant, a rather curvaceous lass, walked. We approached and asked the judge what the new ADA did wrong or failed to do. All the judge said was, "Big t*ts beat good testimony, every time".  :shrug:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee