Author Topic: U.S. Department of Homeland Security warns computer users: Disable Java now  (Read 1707 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
U.S. Department of Homeland Security warns computer users: Disable Java now

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is advising people to temporarily disable the Java software on their computers to avoid potential hacking attacks.

The recommendation came in an advisory issued late Thursday, following up on concerns raised by computer security experts.

Experts believe hackers have found a flaw in Java's coding that creates an opening for criminal activity and other high-tech mischief.

Java is a widely used technical language that allows computer programmers to write a wide variety of Internet applications and other software programs that can run on just about any computer's operating system.

Read more here:  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/11/3780961/homeland-security-disable-java.html#storylink=rss?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#storylink=cpy

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Do we really need to do this?......I won't be able to watch or posts videos?

Tech question....went to my control panel...I noticed that when their is an update on Java it doesn't over ride the old one...hmmm
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:47:01 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

Do we really need to do this?......I won't be able to watch or posts videos?

Tech question....went to my control panel...I noticed that when their is an update on Java it doesn't over ride the old one...hmmm

I recently downloaded a new version of Java, and was told to delete all the old versions, so I did.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
I have trouble believing anything that comes out of DHS.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Online DCPatriot

By nature, I'm leery of anything this administration says.

Maybe Java interferes with their snooping citizens' hardrives in the middle of the night.    :shrug:

.....but I did disable it for time being.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:30:56 pm by DCPatriot »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Java is increasingly becoming obsolete. Most applications have moved onto Flash and HTML5. There are very few Java applets still being developed. So you won't miss much.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024