Author Topic: Local church getting into the Seahawks spirit  (Read 1515 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

Local church getting into the Seahawks spirit
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:06:03 am »
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Local-church-getting-into-the-Seahawks-spirit-186097852.html

BOTHELL, Wash. -- In honor of Seattle's playoff run, one local pastor will trade in his church robe for a Seahawks sweatshirt during Sunday's sermon.

Pastor Ryan Meeks has faith in the Seahawks. He doesn't worship football, but he is canceling Sunday morning services at most of his Eastlake Community Church campuses and plans to complete his own sermon by kickoff.

"I promise the message will not go overtime," Meeks said.

Instead of a standard service, Meeks will bring in tents and coolers and Eastlake will become "Beastlake" for a congregation tailgate party.

"It's not even a strategic decision," Meeks said. "Frankly, as soon as they won that game I was like, 'I want to watch that game,' so we didn't get a committee together and think about it, we all want to watch the game."

The congregation, which happens to include a few former Seahawks, will get the message this weekend that faith is a lifestyle, not an event. Meeks believes people can follow football and God at the same time.

"Churches will be full of people this weekend who are there because they would feel guilty watching the game," Meeks said.

If the Seahawks win on Sunday, the following weekend's game has a noon kickoff, so it shouldn't interfere with Sunday morning services.

The church canceled services for the Seahawks once before when the team played Chicago in the 2011 playoffs.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Local church getting into the Seahawks spirit
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:15:58 am »
My Church is doing the same thing. They will have one Sunday service at 9:00, instead of two,  and  the that will be followed by the game on two 20ft Hi-def screens.   Inflatables will be set up for the kids, and food trucks will be parked outside. The whole Northwest is in Beast Mode,  I have never seen anything like it.   
Atlanta, on the other hand seems to lack the excitement, of other Post Season cities. Saw a news story on it, and the reporter was hard pressed to find evidence a playoff game was even being played.

GO SEAHAWKS!
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:27:47 am »
What a Ride. We may have lost in the final seconds, but this team prooved to every one watching that the Seahawks indeed are a high caliber team.  Wilson and the whole team stayed cool, not letting being down 20 points get to them at all. If you noticed the sideline shots during that period, there was no hanging heads or sour expressions. Carroll even cracked a smile.   
Wilson is just going to get better and better, and this team is going to the playoffs many more times under his leadership.  And I can see this same Skins, then Falcons matchup next year, but this time on Seattle turf in the noisiest stadium in the NFL. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:19:41 pm by NavyCanDo »

Offline Emma

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:48:12 am »
I'm obviously happy with the outcome (Falcons fan) but Seahawks played a great game.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:10:38 pm »
385 passing yards, mostly in the 4th quarter is a phenomenal feat. And for a rookie.    Wilson is just going to get better and better.   And with a young team that will mature with him, expect to see the Seahawks in post season games for a long time to come.   These young guys have tasted playoff victory, and they like it. The pain from this loss will be quickly forgotten with the first kick off of next season.
Hope, now the Falcons get er done next week to go all the way, and that the Ravens beat the Pats. And wishing RG3 well. I didn't know some commentators were giving him lip for bing a black Republican. Makes me like him more. 

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 02:34:27 pm »
BTW...I don't think RG3 has ever announced a preferred political affiliation, he just acts like a conservative and doesn't kiss Obama's tookus.

There was an Op-ed in the Sunday paper called "Are you Black enough?

I quote:
"Having returned their team to relevance for the first time since the Clinton era, RG3, as he is known, can do no wrong in the eyes of Slurs fans. But Parker, saying that the young man’s fiancee is (gasp!) white and that he himself is rumored to be — cover the children’s ears — a Republican, found him lacking in the area of authentic blackness.

“My question,” he said, “which is just a straight, honest question: Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother? He’s not really ... OK, he’s black, he kind of does the thing, but he’s not really down with the cause. He’s not one of us. He’s kind of black, but he’s not really like the guy you really want to hang out with ...”

http://seattletimes.com/html/opinion/2020114174_pittscolumnblacknessxml.html

Just amazes me how if you don't fit the black mold, you can become an outcast in your own race.