Author Topic: It’s all jerks, jokes & Jodie Foster  (Read 1203 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
It’s all jerks, jokes & Jodie Foster
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:39:51 pm »
http://www.nypost.com/f/print/news/national/it_all_jerks_jokes_jodie_foster_dKCG8YJMJ214Nf1B7mNm5I#axzz2HxO7aIxP

It’s all jerks, jokes & Jodie Foster

By LINDA STASI

Last Updated: 5:54 AM, January 14, 2013

Posted: 2:09 AM, January 14, 2013

What do you get when 85 freeloading freelancers without genuine media affiliations vote for winners in an industry that’s filled with affiliations and worth more than most small countries?

A) A scam; B) The Golden Globes; or C) Jodie Foster.

If you guessed A, you are correct, if you guessed B, you are correct, and if you guessed C, you are as confused as the rest of us.

Last night, for the 70th time, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association held their annual confusing grifter fest, the Golden Globe Awards, filled with Hollywood honchos pretending it was all real, while millions of viewers tuned in pretending to believe those Hollywood honchos believed it was all real.

Get it? Good.

The show was hosted by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler for the first time, and if Ricky Gervais hadn’t set the bar so high for the past two years by killing the very hands that fed him — the Golden Globes — they would have seemed better than they did.

But somehow, these two wildly funny women made it all seem tame and, yes, sort of old-fashioned.

Thank God for Jodie Foster. In an industry filled with insane people who make no sense when left to their own devices and, worse, left to their own words, Jodie Foster set the bar lower than ever and managed to stand out as maybe the most confused human ever to hit the Golden Globes stage.

It seemed that in one 75-minute (or maybe five-minute) speech, she said that nothing is more important in the world than privacy and that her sexuality was no one’s business and then promptly came out and quit show business. I think.

But what about Fey and Poehler, who were supposed to be the big story?

Yes, their opening dialogue was funny, but we’re so used to hosts roasting the rich and famous in the audience that it seemed not so fresh. I prefer Gervais’ mean-spirited honesty.

Chances are good the gig is up for Fey and Poehler. I mean, seriously, how could they stand out when Jodie Foster comes out and goes back in, all in one speech? Bottom line? The Globes is either an international conspiracy of dunces or a mass fugue or some sort probably manufactured in China of inferior ingredients and sold at Walmart.

But it still beats the Oscars.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: It’s all jerks, jokes & Jodie Foster
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:45:26 pm »
I happened upon this broadcast while trying to find something - anything - to watch last night, just in time to hear Bill Clinton introduced. If there's a land speed record for changing the channel, I just set it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:47:08 pm »
Jodie Foster reveals she's gay, suggests she's retiring
Posted: 12:03 AM, January 14, 2013
NY Post

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Jodie Foster came out without really coming out, and suggested she was retiring from acting without exactly saying so, in a long, breathless and rambling speech at Sunday night's Golden Globe Awards.

Foster took the stage as this year's winner of the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award, which had been announced previously. But her acceptance speech was anything but predictable as the veteran actress seized control of what is every year a noisy, boozy ballroom; the crowd of A-listers quickly quieted down as it became apparent that she had something serious and important to say.

The 50-year-old Oscar-winner, who's been protective of her private life and reluctant to discuss her sexual orientation, was coy at first, suggesting she had a big announcement that would make her publicist nervous. Then she stated: "I'm just going to put it out there, loud and proud ... I am, uh, single," pausing for dramatic effect before that last word. "I hope you're not disappointed that there won't be a big coming-out speech tonight. I already did my coming-out about a thousand years ago."

Foster joked that celebrities are now expected to reveal they're gay "with a press conference, a fragrance and a prime-time reality show. ... You just might be surprised but I am not Honey Boo Boo Child. Please don't cry, because my reality show is so boring."

She added defiantly: "If you had been a public figure since you were a toddler, maybe you'd value privacy above all else, too."

Foster thanked Cydney Bernard, a production manager whom she identified as her former partner of 20 years and with whom she has two sons.

She also made it sound as if she planned to retire from acting once and for all, something she'd toyed with previously. But backstage afterward, she clarified for reporters: "I could never stop acting. You'd have to drag me behind a team of horses. I'd like to be directing tomorrow. I'm more into it than I have ever been."

As for why she chose this place and time to discuss her private life, Foster explained backstage: "The speech kind of speaks for itself. ... It's a big moment. I wanted to say what's most in my heart."

Her revelation, vague as it was, nonetheless set Twitter on fire with reactions. Some called her words moving and brave while others suggested that she should have done more to be a role model for lesbians.

Ricky Martin, who came out himself in 2010, tweeted: "Jody Foster On your terms. Its your time! Not before nor after. Its when it feels right."

And Amy Poehler, who co-hosted the Golden Globes with longtime friend and fellow comedian Tina Fey, cracked as she was signing off for the night: "We're going home with Jodie Foster!"

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 02:49:56 pm »
Thankfully, the NFL Playoffs (including pre- and post-game analysis) make it entirely unnecessary for me to waste even a accidental nanosecond watching such trash while flipping through the channels.

I find all such Entertainment industry award shows to be virtual orgies of mutual masturbation, and no one needs to watch that. 

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:16:15 pm »
Her speech had everyone scratching their heads.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:38:54 pm »
I think my 88-year-old mother was the only person in America who didn't know before last night she was a lesbian.