Author Topic: Man releases trapped mouse into the wild rather than exterminate it… only for hawk to swoop and kill it within seconds  (Read 2716 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2260836/Man-releases-trapped-mouse-wild-exterminate-hawk-swoop-kill-seconds.html

Man releases trapped mouse into the wild rather than exterminate it… only for hawk to swoop and kill it within seconds

By Jill Reilly

PUBLISHED: 10:52 EST, 11 January 2013 | UPDATED: 13:48 EST, 11 January 2013

A man carefully released a mouse he had captured back into the wild rather than kill only for a hawk to swoop and kill it within seconds.

The unfortunate series of events was captured on camera by a friend who witnessed the doomed release.

The YouTube clip begins with the man, is not identified, as he takes the mouse to a park in a bin to release it back into the wild.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline andy58-in-nh

I once did the same thing and witnessed nature in all its glory.

Back when we had a problem with mice in the house, I had a few of those "Have a Heart" safe capture plastic traps placed around (my young daughter insisted upon them, so fine).

Woke up one morning at sunrise to find a mouse in one of them and took it outside, flipped it over... mouse scampers across the yard... and almost instantly, a big red-tail hawk comes screaming down at full throttle from a white pine, snatches up Mr. Mouse and flies off victoriously.

At first I stood there with my mouth agape - and then laughed my ass off at the natural perfection of the moment. 

Of course I never had the heart to tell my daughter about it. ;-)
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline PzLdr

I once did the same thing and witnessed nature in all its glory.

Back when we had a problem with mice in the house, I had a few of those "Have a Heart" safe capture plastic traps placed around (my young daughter insisted upon them, so fine).

Woke up one morning at sunrise to find a mouse in one of them and took it outside, flipped it over... mouse scampers across the yard... and almost instantly, a big red-tail hawk comes screaming down at full throttle from a white pine, snatches up Mr. Mouse and flies off victoriously.

At first I stood there with my mouth agape - and then laughed my ass off at the natural perfection of the moment. 

Of course I never had the heart to tell my daughter about it. ;-)

Friend of my buudy's brother in law [in Colo.] built a nice house out in the heart of nature. Goes out on deck. Bichon Frise runs into yard. Golden Eagle snaps up snack.  :seeya:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Rapunzel

Friend of my buudy's brother in law [in Colo.] built a nice house out in the heart of nature. Goes out on deck. Bichon Frise runs into yard. Golden Eagle snaps up snack.  :seeya:

My friends have two Cocker Spaniels and one very small 9-pound Silkie Terrier.. in the early summer they were at their house here for a week and the husband came in the house and said "don't let Mystie out"... turns out there was a huge hawk circling the house over and over again and he was afraid it would swoop down and take her... this same dog already survived being attacked in the backyard of their California house by a coyote...  that time she managed to escape by biting the coyote on the nose and then running like crazy into the house, bleeding all over the place in the process, barely survived because she went into shock, can't imagine if a hawk grabbed her.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

Many years ago, there was a mouse in my house, but I didn't have anything handy to get it, so told my little brother to bring me a rat trap (poor choice of words). In the middle of the night, a loud noise woke me, and I saw half a mouse on a large muskrat trap, blood all over the place, but didn't see the rest of the mouse. I followed the blood trail to the bathroom, and it disappeared by the wall. I figure it ran outside, but instead, it died under the tub. I figured that out a day or so later because of the rotten, gut wrenching odor! I was nine months pregnant, and spent a lot of time bent over Mom's toilet. We had no money to get rid of that big old tub at the time, so stayed with my parents until the odor left. I still cringe thinking about it.

Offline Rapunzel

Many years ago, there was a mouse in my house, but I didn't have anything handy to get it, so told my little brother to bring me a rat trap (poor choice of words). In the middle of the night, a loud noise woke me, and I saw half a mouse on a large muskrat trap, blood all over the place, but didn't see the rest of the mouse. I followed the blood trail to the bathroom, and it disappeared by the wall. I figure it ran outside, but instead, it died under the tub. I figured that out a day or so later because of the rotten, gut wrenching odor! I was nine months pregnant, and spent a lot of time bent over Mom's toilet. We had no money to get rid of that big old tub at the time, so stayed with my parents until the odor left. I still cringe thinking about it.

ABsolutely nothing smells worse........  my neighbor has fruit trees.  Fruit trees bring fruit rats.  They used to climb our wall, get under the spa and my husband's storage shed (both of which I got rid of when he died), they would chew the sprinkler tubing, general nuisance.  Anyway, a couple of times our dogs caught a baby born under the spa and brought into the house - I was NOT a happy camper about that!!!!  we figured out the rats would run the walls at night so my husband started setting a rat trap on the wall between our yard and neighbors yard.  He tied the trap to one of the posts so when it did catch a rat the trap would just fall over the wall and not into the yard (dogs and all)... imagine getting up in the morning and seeing a rat hanging dead from the wall!!!!    anyway, he usually tried to get them before I saw anything and dispose of the rats by throwing them into the field across the street for the coyotes or hawks, one time for some reason he put in the garbage.  I went out to get something off our boat and this odor was so bad it literally burned my nose... I knew exactly what he had done, he thought double-sealing it in a plastic bag until trash day would work....... WRONG!!!!!

Anyway, after he died, I got rid of everything they could hide under, one day was talking on the phone, the sprinklers came on and one went over the wall, I freaked out!!! called the person in Alaska who owns the house and she had someone set poison traps in her yard... for about six weeks I found dead rats in my yard (finally got used to scooping them up and disposing of them) and then they stopped eating the poison and we figured they were gone finally... problem is the people behind her feed the pigeons - throw out bread crumbs (which is illegal here) and they have a garden.. I fear all the time they will attract rats back again.... I hate rodents!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

ABsolutely nothing smells worse........  my neighbor has fruit trees.  Fruit trees bring fruit rats.  They used to climb our wall, get under the spa and my husband's storage shed (both of which I got rid of when he died), they would chew the sprinkler tubing, general nuisance.  Anyway, a couple of times our dogs caught a baby born under the spa and brought into the house - I was NOT a happy camper about that!!!!  we figured out the rats would run the walls at night so my husband started setting a rat trap on the wall between our yard and neighbors yard.  He tied the trap to one of the posts so when it did catch a rat the trap would just fall over the wall and not into the yard (dogs and all)... imagine getting up in the morning and seeing a rat hanging dead from the wall!!!!    anyway, he usually tried to get them before I saw anything and dispose of the rats by throwing them into the field across the street for the coyotes or hawks, one time for some reason he put in the garbage.  I went out to get something off our boat and this odor was so bad it literally burned my nose... I knew exactly what he had done, he thought double-sealing it in a plastic bag until trash day would work....... WRONG!!!!!

Anyway, after he died, I got rid of everything they could hide under, one day was talking on the phone, the sprinklers came on and one went over the wall, I freaked out!!! called the person in Alaska who owns the house and she had someone set poison traps in her yard... for about six weeks I found dead rats in my yard (finally got used to scooping them up and disposing of them) and then they stopped eating the poison and we figured they were gone finally... problem is the people behind her feed the pigeons - throw out bread crumbs (which is illegal here) and they have a garden.. I fear all the time they will attract rats back again.... I hate rodents!

People who feed the pigeons, especially in NYC, are some of the world's dumbest people inasmuch as they simply cannot grasp the simple concept that the rats come out at night and eat everything the pigeons don't eat.  Same goes for the nuts who feed squirrels.

Offline Rapunzel

People who feed the pigeons, especially in NYC, are some of the world's dumbest people inasmuch as they simply cannot grasp the simple concept that the rats come out at night and eat everything the pigeons don't eat.  Same goes for the nuts who feed squirrels.

It pisses me off big-time... the wife goes out to their fence looks around to see if anyone is watching then tosses the stuff into the easement between their yard and my neighbors yard (we have a 10 foot easement for the utility companies...) I have been out in my yard when she didn't see me and have watched her do it, then last spring when the Alaska neighbors were here they complained because there was a lot of stuff under their fruit trees. Don't know if the rats carried it over her wall or the neighbor got carried away with the toss and stuff flew into her yard.  I can tell when they are feeding them because the pigeons hang out on the power lines, last summer we lost power two days in a row at the hottest part of the day - turns out pigeons on the lines two houses above me took off and broke loose the lines taking the entire north side of town's electricity with them, took over three hours before we had power back the first day and it happened again a few poles down the very next day.......  I HATE pigeons almost as much as rats.

Offline happyg

A few years ago, while visiting Cape Canaveral, an elderly couple was sitting on a bench eating hotdogs. While the woman was sipping on her soda, a gull swooped down and took the hotdog from her bun. She didn't see it happen, and when she went to take a bite of her sandwich, there was only the bun. She looked all over for her hotdog, and became upset,  so Dad bought her another one and told her what happened. I wish I had that on camera.

Offline Rapunzel

A few years ago, while visiting Cape Canaveral, an elderly couple was sitting on a bench eating hotdogs. While the woman was sipping on her soda, a gull swooped down and took the hotdog from her bun. She didn't see it happen, and when she went to take a bite of her sandwich, there was only the bun. She looked all over for her hotdog, and became upset,  so Dad bought her another one and told her what happened. I wish I had that on camera.

Funny story!

Offline PzLdr

When I was in High School, they took us to a Shakespeare play at atheater in Conn. right on the Sound. Needless to say, the speech patterns of the dialogue and guys in pantyhose didn't go over real well with my peer group. End result? We got booted before the end of Act One. So we wandered oput to the picnic tables with our lunch bags [the bus wasn't due back for a few hours]., and as I unwrapped my lunch to enjoy my repast in a lovely setting, a sea gull sh*t   :tongue2: on my sandwich. Figure it was God's way of telling me to avoid live theater.   :smokin:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline happyg

When I was in High School, they took us to a Shakespeare play at atheater in Conn. right on the Sound. Needless to say, the speech patterns of the dialogue and guys in pantyhose didn't go over real well with my peer group. End result? We got booted before the end of Act One. So we wandered oput to the picnic tables with our lunch bags [the bus wasn't due back for a few hours]., and as I unwrapped my lunch to enjoy my repast in a lovely setting, a sea gull sh*t   :tongue2: on my sandwich. Figure it was God's way of telling me to avoid live theater.   :smokin:

LOL! That is worse than pigeon sh*t!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Between the cats and the foxes we don't get many rats now, but one I will always remember.

Wife is terrified of rats. I was stood in the open back door, talking to her and having a smoke and she suddenly froze. Looked down and there was a rat next to my foot. It looked up, like it was saying "What?" and carried on walking along the outside kitchen wall. Didn't run, just slowly walked away.

That still makes me smile.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline happyg

Between the cats and the foxes we don't get many rats now, but one I will always remember.

Wife is terrified of rats. I was stood in the open back door, talking to her and having a smoke and she suddenly froze. Looked down and there was a rat next to my foot. It looked up, like it was saying "What?" and carried on walking along the outside kitchen wall. Didn't run, just slowly walked away.

That still makes me smile.

I suppose he thought if he acted normal, no one would notice him. Cute story!  :laugh: Did you ever go after him?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I suppose he thought if he acted normal, no one would notice him. Cute story!  :laugh: Did you ever go after him?

:laugh:

Nah, let him get on with his life in peace.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink