Author Topic: The Military Machine as a Management Wreck  (Read 975 times)

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
The Military Machine as a Management Wreck
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

famousdayandyear

Re: The Military Machine as a Management Wreck
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:11:41 PM »
I know a USNA graduate who resigned his commission out of pure frustration at such "blindness" to merit

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »
The major failing of the U.S Army since WW II has been its preference for top down command and control over the German practice of Aufstragtaktik. That led to ticket punching, 'get along to move along', and the stifling, if not suffocation of initiative by junior officers. I remember being threatened with a court martial for not following a patrol overlay when i was running ambush patrols in the ROK DMZ. I deviated because we found strong indicia the North Koreas were working another area. When I questioned my Bn. CO regarding what the mission was, i.e stopping infiltration or being at point 'A' so the CG would know where we were two days ahead of time [when they got the overlay], I was told, 'Follow the overlay". My next patrol out, I had to move 3 in the AM, and set up accross from the 25th ROK Div. I then got a call to pop a flare, so the idiots from Bn. HQ [and anybody else in the neighborhood] would know exactly where I was.  :shrug:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:55:41 AM »
I'd say the 11 year war in Afghanistan is evidence of our military leaders' inability to complete a task of reasonable scale.

It was one thing to defeat Germany and Japan completely in less than 4 years, and stay behind nearly indefinitely, but in peace.

By comparison, we are now inept in terms of military outcomes.

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:56 AM »
I'd say the 11 year war in Afghanistan is evidence of our military leaders' inability to complete a task of reasonable scale.

It was one thing to defeat Germany and Japan completely in less than 4 years, and stay behind nearly indefinitely, but in peace.

By comparison, we are now inept in terms of military outcomes.

Afghanistan brought down the USSR and now it's brought down the USA.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf