Author Topic: WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?  (Read 3739 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:12:21 pm »
WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3uLTnzs60&list=UU193r5YXcpQJV34N99ZbhzQ&index=10

Uh......it's called the Bill of RIGHTS...not the Bill of Needs or Wants.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: WHY does anyone NEED an ASSAULT RIFLE?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »
Help me, gun enthusiasts.  Semi-auto as now defined means what?

I believe the original "concern" was the fully automatic M16, AK47 types.

Next concern went to AR15 semi-auto, which today I believe has only 3 round burst option.

Somewhere I read "semi-auto" means the weapon extracts the spent cartridge, loads another. Nothing to do with the number of rounds per trigger-pull.

Does or does that not mean every 1911 style handgun is "semi-auto?"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:05:11 pm »
The lazy news media have decided to term every semi-automatic weapon, whether pistol or rifle, "automatic" and "assault." Facts don't matter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:20:38 pm »
Next concern went to AR15 semi-auto, which today I believe has only 3 round burst option.

A semi-automatic rifle (such as the AR-15) requires ONE trigger pull to fire ONE round.  The "auto" part is the loading of the next cartridge by the mechanical action of the weapon.   There are also semi-automatic pistols; the Colt 1911 is one.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:04:34 pm »
Help me, gun enthusiasts.  Semi-auto as now defined means what?

I believe the original "concern" was the fully automatic M16, AK47 types.

Somewhere I read "semi-auto" means the weapon extracts the spent cartridge, loads another. Nothing to do with the number of rounds per trigger-pull.

Does or does that not mean every 1911 style handgun is "semi-auto?"

NO Ar-15 platform sold to the public will fire a three shot burst with one pull of the trigger,, or continue firing without stopping until empty or the trigger is released, unless the owner has a weapon that allows such. And for that he needs a Federal Class III license.

"Semi- auto" means the weapon uses part of the gas released when a cartridge is fired, to re-cycle itself, i.e eject the cartridge case from the fired round, and seat a live round in the chamber. No action by the shooter [use a lever, or a bolt, or break action] is required to recycle the weapon. There are myriad hunting rifles, aside from Ars that are semi-automatic. Ditto for shotguns.A whole class of handguns are semi-automatic [pistols as opposed to revolvers]. Hope that helps.  :patriot:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:40:37 pm »
NO Ar-15 platform sold to the public will fire a three shot burst with one pull of the trigger,, or continue firing without stopping until empty or the trigger is released, unless the owner has a weapon that allows such. And for that he needs a Federal Class III license.

"Semi- auto" means the weapon uses part of the gas released when a cartridge is fired, to re-cycle itself, i.e eject the cartridge case from the fired round, and seat a live round in the chamber. No action by the shooter [use a lever, or a bolt, or break action] is required to recycle the weapon. There are myriad hunting rifles, aside from Ars that are semi-automatic. Ditto for shotguns.A whole class of handguns are semi-automatic [pistols as opposed to revolvers]. Hope that helps.  :patriot:

When I served in the US Army we trained with both the M14 and M16, and both fired full-auto. We spent more time with the M16, and were warned that full-auto was not accurate and wasted ammo. They advised short bursts.

I read recently that the military sets current M16/AR15 to limit 3 round burst, but no full-auto. This consistent with training over 40 years ago.

Through the years, I've heard of modifications which convert single shot AR15 to full-auto.

In terms of legality, does it mean that any civilian possessing a full-auto gun is breaking existing laws? Are the conversions illegal?

Did the Colorado and Connecticut shooters kill all those people with one shot per trigger pull? IOW were their firearms "legal" configuration?

Do the proposed gun control masures require registered gun owners to turn in same?

*Both my wife and I are registered handgun owners in the state of California. The stuff on the internet would lead some to think this impossible.

My wife was held up by a guy with a  shotgun, in the late 70s. He got sent to a facility for mentally ill. We understand back then they were frequently found to have miraculously rehabilitated and released.

The political left and right are both talking about the mentally ill and gun access. That does not address releasing them into the public. (just addresses keeping them from legal access to firerms)

A desparate drug addict/alcoholic is temprarily insane, too.

So law abiding folks need the ability to defend themselves from those who would do them harm, because the police are too slow.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:48:26 pm »
When I served in the US Army we trained with both the M14 and M16, and both fired full-auto. We spent more time with the M16, and were warned that full-auto was not accurate and wasted ammo. They advised short bursts.

I read recently that the military sets current M16/AR15 to limit 3 round burst, but no full-auto. This consistent with training over 40 years ago.

Through the years, I've heard of modifications which convert single shot AR15 to full-auto.

In terms of legality, does it mean that any civilian possessing a full-auto gun is breaking existing laws? Are the conversions illegal?

Did the Colorado and Connecticut shooters kill all those people with one shot per trigger pull? IOW were their firearms "legal" configuration?

Do the proposed gun control masures require registered gun owners to turn in same?

*Both my wife and I are registered handgun owners in the state of California. The stuff on the internet would lead some to think this impossible.

My wife was held up by a guy with a  shotgun, in the late 70s. He got sent to a facility for mentally ill. We understand back then they were frequently found to have miraculously rehabilitated and released.

The political left and right are both talking about the mentally ill and gun access. That does not address releasing them into the public. (just addresses keeping them from legal access to firerms)

A desparate drug addict/alcoholic is temprarily insane, too.

So law abiding folks need the ability to defend themselves from those who would do them harm, because the police are too slow.

The Feds have a license [Class III] which allows the holder to own fully auto [one pull, one mag] rifles, submachineguns,etc., and to fire them legally. Examples: Collectors of WW II weapons like a StG 44, MG 42, PPsh, Browning 30 cal and 50 cal mgs; guys who own weapons supply companies for movies, TV, etc. A Class III requires serious coin, serious security, and serious background checks.

Right now, my Browning Hi-Power [9mm] may be a Feinstein "Assault Weapon". Pistol grip, 14 round mag. And no, to be an 'illegal assault weapon', it doesn't need to go full 'rock n' roll'.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:50:47 pm »
My understanding is that the only M16 full auto is the M16A1 used in VietNam. The military didn't like it. The guys would come under fire, freakout, and dump their ammo without aiming. The A4 in use today has 3 round burst only and no full auto setting.

But even an M16 I'm not sure I would call it an "assault weapon". It is just a rifle. There are many more deadly weapons out there than an M16 or even an AK.

This catagorizing every weapon in the world as an 'assault weapon' is grossly misinformed.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 01:16:20 am »
My understanding is that the only M16 full auto is the M16A1 used in VietNam. The military didn't like it. The guys would come under fire, freakout, and dump their ammo without aiming. The A4 in use today has 3 round burst only and no full auto setting.

But even an M16 I'm not sure I would call it an "assault weapon". It is just a rifle. There are many more deadly weapons out there than an M16 or even an AK.

This catagorizing every weapon in the world as an 'assault weapon' is grossly misinformed.

The M16 and M16A1 were full automatic capable. They 3-rd burst became available with the M16A2 as a cure to the "spray and Pray" syndrome, but in many situations (i.e. ambush), a lack of full automatic fire capability was found to be unsatisfactory. When the military went to the M4 Carbine, it also reverted to the full auto fire capability.
I've seen M16A4 models, but haven't handled them. AFAIK, only the Marines have them.

I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:36:17 am »
The M16 and M16A1 were full automatic capable. They 3-rd burst became available with the M16A2 as a cure to the "spray and Pray" syndrome, but in many situations (i.e. ambush), a lack of full automatic fire capability was found to be unsatisfactory. When the military went to the M4 Carbine, it also reverted to the full auto fire capability.
I've seen M16A4 models, but haven't handled them. AFAIK, only the Marines have them.

That is excaly why we always had at least one guy 240B.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 07:40:43 pm »
What makes an assault rifle an assault rifle is the number of rounds in the magazine. The body organ that fatal shot tears through doesn’t care if the bullet came from an AR-15 or Remington Bolt action hunting rifle. Dead is dead.   So if they go after guns with +6 bullets, it won’t stop with shoulder fired weapons, I can assure you. Pistols will be next, and the number of people who own them towers over those who on an assault rifle.

I had a Colt AR15 once, but sold it in the 1993 for $650 to help pay for my wife's engagement ring. Stupid thing to sell that. Now when I gather enough money to replace it, my wife gets other plans.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:32:48 pm »
Truth is, the AR-15 is today's musket.

End of discussion.....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 11:21:40 pm »
Why does anyone need an assault rifle?  :pondering:

Because an 88 is kind of hard to lug around?  :smokin:

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 11:55:52 pm »
Why does anyone need an assault rifle?  :pondering:

Because an 88 is kind of hard to lug around?  :smokin:

Because much of my extended family wound up in Nazi death camps and I will not.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Allegra

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 12:30:08 am »
Why should it be up to the government to tell us what we "need?" If a law-abiding citizen wants an assault rifle, who is to say he/she can't have it just because, in someone's opinion, they don't "need" it?

People don't "need" iPads, big SUVs, XBoxes or giant flat-screen TVs either.  But that's no reason they shouldn't have them if they want them and can afford them.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 01:02:23 am »
Truth is, the AR-15 is today's musket.

End of discussion.....
As I tried to explain to one anti-gunner on another site, improved technology doesn't negate the Second Amendment. The Founders probably wouldn't have been surprised that better guns have come along since the 18th century.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 02:31:49 am »
Why should it be up to the government to tell us what we "need?" If a law-abiding citizen wants an assault rifle, who is to say he/she can't have it just because, in someone's opinion, they don't "need" it?

People don't "need" iPads, big SUVs, XBoxes or giant flat-screen TVs either.  But that's no reason they shouldn't have them if they want them and can afford them.

I just told some of my Colorado hunting/fishing friends their state has turned totally upside down thanks to all the libs who migrated there from California.. legal pot, wants to lower drinking age to 18 and now they are wanting to ban guns.  I feel like Alice down the rabbit hole that a state like Colorado wants to ban weapons.  This is not going to go over well with the West-slopers.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 04:06:23 pm »
I just told some of my Colorado hunting/fishing friends their state has turned totally upside down thanks to all the libs who migrated there from California.. legal pot, wants to lower drinking age to 18 and now they are wanting to ban guns.  I feel like Alice down the rabbit hole that a state like Colorado wants to ban weapons.  This is not going to go over well with the West-slopers.

Same thing happened in NC when all the IBMers came here from NY, NJ to work in the Research Triangle, and BOA, Wells Fargo migrated to Charlotte.  They loved the lower taxes then--but started voting in touchy-feely bond measures and laws we now are almost bankrupt over.  Idiots

Offline Allegra

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 05:09:40 pm »
Same thing happened in NC when all the IBMers came here from NY, NJ to work in the Research Triangle, and BOA, Wells Fargo migrated to Charlotte.  They loved the lower taxes then--but started voting in touchy-feely bond measures and laws we now are almost bankrupt over.  Idiots

They destroy the states they live in and then move to economically stronger, more free red states and pollute those, too.  They're like locusts.  Really stupid ones.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 06:06:54 pm »
As I tried to explain to one anti-gunner on another site, improved technology doesn't negate the Second Amendment. The Founders probably wouldn't have been surprised that better guns have come along since the 18th century.

Not only is that true, improved technology is one of the advantages the citizens in the US had over the British army.  The British army primarily used smoothbore muskets that had a maximum effective range of 100 yards if they were lucky.  In addition to muskets, the American citizens also had access to a new technology, rifled barrels. These guns were effective at 200 yards plus with some of the best marksmen being accurate at 500 yards. This was truly a force multiplier of the time.

One other thing, what's funny about what the gov defines as 'assault' rifle's characteristics are actually safety features like the barrel shroud.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 07:45:31 pm »

That is a well-known phenomenon.  You see it all the time. Mexicans, Somalians, Communists, Muslims, Jews, Bosians, even Nazis, risk their very lives and the lives of their families to get here, “the great shining city on the hill”, and the first thing they do, if they make it here, with their newfound “freedom” is to try to make America exactly the same as the shithole countries they just ‘escaped’ from, and which almost killed them. The entire island of Britain is now just another Muslim country.

Very strange and extremely common. I cannot understand it but it does seem to be just a part of human nature. It should be noted strongly that this not all of them, but the stupid people do this every time. They get indoctrinated with 'Liberalism' and makes them crazy.

Every time I see a Mexican illegal waving a Mexican flag or a Cuban waving a Cuban flag in America, all can think is, “Are you insane?” It happens all the time.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:47:23 pm by 240B »