Author Topic: What’s in a name? The Redskins’ bad karma  (Read 1822 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What’s in a name? The Redskins’ bad karma
« on: January 09, 2013, 06:23:58 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/whats-in-a-name-the-redskins-bad-karma/2013/01/08/a6ab8bb4-59da-11e2-88d0-c4cf65c3ad15_print.html

What’s in a name? The Redskins’ bad karma
By Courtland Milloy, Published: January 8

So, Washington football fans, how’s that offensive team name and demeaning sports mascot working out? Whooping and hollering as RGIII goes on a “Redskins” warpath only to leave a trail of tears when his wounded knee gets buried at FedEx Field.

In this obscene home team sports fantasy, the gifted Robert Griffin III was reduced to a “noble savage.” Let the “Redskin” play hurt. He can take it. Hail to the young brave-hearted quarterback as he limps into battle on that injured knee. Three cheers as he fights on his one good leg for Old D.C.

And when he’s felled during Sunday’s playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks, bringing the postseason to an ugly and immensely unsatisfying end — torn ligaments no doubt shortening his own career as well — Washington gasps in horror.

Bad karma, I tell you, that team name.

Now don’t go trying to prove otherwise by digging up some ancient Washington victory from back in, say, Joe Gibbs’s early days. This is a new era. Attitudes are changing; progressive thinking is emerging on everything from guns, gays and gas guzzling to debt, deficits and doctor bills.

Besides, Washington’s professional football team has raked up one disappointing season after another since 1992 — the year D.C. resident Suzan Harjo became the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit seeking to change the team’s disparaging name.

Although Harjo lost that legal battle on a technicality, a group of younger Native Americans have filed a similar lawsuit — Blackhor se et al v. Pro-Football, Inc. Justice may yet be served.

“The term ‘redskins’ is the most vile and offensive term used to describe Native Americans,” Harjo told the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs in 2011. “It is most disturbing to the overwhelming majority of Native Americans throughout the country that the professional football team in the nation’s capital uses a team name that demeans us.”

Does anyone really believe that the name “Redskins” will survive the 21st century? Other than the people who probably thought white actors in blackface would survive the 20th? The genocide of Native peoples, like America’s other original sin, slavery, cannot be forever masked with caricatures of the dead.

Next month, on Feb. 7, the National Museum of the American Indian on the Mall will hold a day-long symposium and “community conversation” about the use of racist stereotypes and cultural appropriation in American sports. In a recent news release about the event, museum Director Kevin Gover wrote: “What better place to address this issue. . . . The Smithsonian Institution is the ideal forum to bring people together to ask tough questions.”

I hope so, although I suspect that the most diehard football fans have only two ways of dealing with these kinds of disagreements: racist Internet comments — and fistfights in the stands.

For those who claim that “Redskins” is an honorific to Native peoples, as team owner Dan Snyder does, representatives from several Indian nations will be on hand to tell you what they really think about that name. By the way, while Washington was weighed down with that tired old caricature of an Indian head on their helmets, Seattle was sporting a lighthearted Seahawk based on an ancient Northwest Coast Native carved totem design. They didn’t just score more touchdowns; they won on style points, too.

Others have claimed that the “Redskins” Indian head logo is no more harmful than the image on an Indian-head nickel. But the question is: harmful to whom? The symposium addresses this question through an exploration of the psychology of stereotypes in sports, the history of ethnic “identity theft” and recent efforts to retire and revive Native American sports references at the University of Oklahoma, Stanford University, Dartmouth College and Syracuse University.

The subject of the “community conversation” will be, you guessed it, the name of Washington’s professional football team. It should be quite lively. The moderator will be Philip J. Deloria of the Standing Rock Sioux, an associate dean of undergraduate education at the University of Michigan’s College of Literature, Science and the Arts and author of the books “Playing Indian” and “Indians in Unexpected Places.”

He will be joined by Judith Bartnoff, deputy presiding judge of the District of Columbia Superior Court’s Civil Division; the Rev. Graylan Hagler of Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ and former president of Ministers for Racial, Social and Economic Justice; Robert I. Holden, deputy director of the National Congress of American Indians; Erik Brady, a sports reporter for USA Today; and my Washington Post colleague, sports columnist Mike Wise.

Take your children to the event. Then ask them if the name “Redskins” is offensive. Better still, ask yourself.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: What’s in a name? The Redskins’ bad karma
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:53:24 pm »
As far as I am concerned, the tribalist populations in America have a vested interest in the fall of the republic (already most feel.they are above the law) and its transformation into a welfare state where they always get first in line.

To name the Redskins team (especially one that was all-white the first 30 years of its existence until it was forced to hire black players) after them is an insult to the team.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:57:21 pm »
That dude on the helmet is proud and noble...he ain't no "caricature"...MUD

Exactly right.  Do not let morons define who we are.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:29:37 am »
Say no more....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:37:58 pm »
I don't know about "Redskins," but I always considered team names like "Warriors," "Seminoles," "Mohigans" and the like a tribute to the character, bravery and fighting spirit of the American Indian.

The sad thing is that once noble and self-sufficient people have permitted themselves to become slaves of government largesse, as jmyrle referenced.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Allegra

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:43:14 am »
The stupid liberals have been whining about the Redskins' name for years.

DC did already do one PC name change.  The NBA team that played there when I lived in the area as a teenager was the Washington Bullets.  Sometime in the 90s (or was it late 80s?) they changed it to the Washington Wizards, thinking "Bullets" had negative connotations due to DC's high murder rate.

I don't think changing the basketball team's name had even the slightest impact on the murder rate.

But, I guess it made some liberals feel all warm and fuzzy.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 07:59:13 am »
So let me get this straight.

Redskins = Bad thing to say.
Rednecks = Descriptive.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink