Author Topic: Afghanistan frees militants once held by U.S.  (Read 1447 times)

famousdayandyear

Afghanistan frees militants once held by U.S.
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:52:21 pm »
Afghanistan frees militants once held by U.S.

The Associated Press
Posted : Friday Jan 4, 2013 7:06:37 EST

KABUL, Afghanistan — Some 250 prisoners formerly held by the U.S. have been released by Afghan authorities in hopes that this will lead to reconciliation in the 11-year conflict, a Defense Ministry spokesman said Friday.

Police Maj. Jalal Uddin said that 80 were freed from prisons across the country that day, the latest batch of a total of 400 to be released this week. The released prisoners had been captured in operations against the Taliban and other groups.

“We are certain they can help to bring peace in Afghanistan and will support the government,” he said. Uddin said that members of the Afghan High Peace Council as well as relatives were at the Kabul prison for the release. The council is tasked with seeking a peace agreement with the Taliban and other militant groups before NATO, including the United States, withdraws most of its forces by the end of 2014.

The council also hopes that the release of 26 Taliban prisoners by Pakistan over the past two months will help end the conflict, with the freed serving as intermediaries between Kabul and the Taliban leadership.

The U.S. military held thousands of prisoners at a facility on its base in Bagram near Kabul but, since an agreement with the Afghan government last March, more than 3,000 were transferred to Afghan control. President Hamid Karzai has criticized U.S. forces for still keeping some prisoners under custody.

Washington believes that the Afghans are not ready to take over the handling of all the prisoners, while insisting that the Kabul government agree to hold without trial some detainees that the U.S. deems too dangerous to release.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2013/01/ap-afghan-militants-freed-by-government-010413/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Afghanistan frees militants once held by U.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 12:42:14 am »
The US side ought to have something to say to the public which has paid for and supplied blood and limbs to the effort.

What say you, Obama? Petreaus? Allen?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:50:53 am »
The US side ought to have something to say to the public which has paid for and supplied blood and limbs to the effort.

What say you, Obama? Petreaus? Allen?

Let me guess.  You are as tired of this crap as I am.  So far, no one has taken out Karzai--it's a wonder

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 03:47:39 am »
It's beginning to sound like some sort of looking-glass vietnam.

Offline Allegra

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:49:47 am »
“We are certain they can help to bring peace in Afghanistan and will support the government,” he said. Uddin said that members of the Afghan High Peace Council as well as relatives were at the Kabul prison for the release. The council is tasked with seeking a peace agreement with the Taliban and other militant groups before NATO, including the United States, withdraws most of its forces by the end of 2014.

Good grief.. PT Barnum was right...there really IS one born every minute.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 02:06:48 am »
Let me guess.  You are as tired of this crap as I am.  So far, no one has taken out Karzai--it's a wonder
Absolutely. Both parties plus the military commands  and diplomatic.

As citizens taxpayers, we should not be asked to pay for and to accept the performance.

WWII was won on several continents, in four years. One tenth of our population served in uniform during WWII, and the defeated  antagonists have not risen up to again become warmakers against us.

Eleven years into the opposition to islamic aggression, I see little evidence we've made significant progress.

Therefore the cost has been huge and the benefit small.  Comparing what the US did during WWII versus eleven years in Afghanistan, I conclude we have four star generals which are powdered PhD princes, but not warriors.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:53:35 pm »
in hopes that this will lead to reconciliation in the 11-year conflict
Yeah, I'm sure that's what they're hoping for.  :nono:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 01:56:38 am »

“We are certain they can help to bring peace in Afghanistan and will support the government,” he said. Uddin said that members of the Afghan High Peace Council as well as relatives were at the Kabul prison for the release.
Yeah....right. The same was said in Iraq. They were released and went back to their old ways.

The U.S. military held thousands of prisoners at a facility on its base in Bagram near Kabul but, since an agreement with the Afghan government last March, more than 3,000 were transferred to Afghan control. President Hamid Karzai has criticized U.S. forces for still keeping some prisoners under custody.

Hmmm....When I was there (albeit, that was 2003) the prison on Bagram wasn't that big. In fact, it was right across the street from my clinic.

As far as karzai is concerned, the only reason he is still alive is because he is guarded by US security personnel. He is nothing but a bipolar puppet who rarely ventured outside of his presidential palace. Once we're gone, he's gone.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.