Author Topic: Congress Expands Abortion Coverage for Women in U.S. Military  (Read 1374 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Congress Expands Abortion Coverage for Women in U.S. Military
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:56:16 pm »
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/congress-expands-abortion-coverage-women-us-military

Congress Expands Abortion Coverage for Women in U.S. Military
By Susan Jones
December 27, 2012

(CNSNews.com) - Congress, in the pre-Christmas rush, passed a Democrat-sponsored provision that will allow women in the U.S. military to use their health insurance to pay for abortion in cases of rape or incest. Right now, the Defense Department pays for abortion only when the mother's life is at stake.

The expanded abortion coverage is included in the defense authorization bill that is now on its way to President Obama for his anticipated signature.

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), who introduced the abortion measure, said on Nov. 30 -- in a speech on the Senate floor -- that it was "unfair" to deny military women "reproductive health care."

Shaheen's amendment repeals a policy that's been in place since 1981.

"After three decades of a policy that discriminated against women who put their lives on the line for us, I am so proud that we will finally begin to provide the coverage our servicewomen deserve,” Shaheen said on Dec. 21. “We have heard from so many who have said the same thing: this is an issue of equity. Women in the military should have the same health coverage as the civilians they protect."

Shaheen said under current policy, women who have been sexually assaulted, especially those posted overseas, "have been forced to seek unsafe and unacceptable alternatives to a safe abortion due to the funding ban in current law."

Some 214,000 women are now listed as active duty.

The Senate passed the Shaheen amendment in early December, and it survived in the final legislation that emerged from a bipartisan Senate-House conference committee. Rep. Howard P. “Buck” McKeon (R-Calif.) chairs the House Armed Services Committee.

Unlike most other federal health programs, Department of Defense rules did not have a funding exemption for abortion coverage in the case of rape or incest. The Shaheen amendment will give women in uniform the same health care services as most women who receive health care through the federal government.

The National Defense Authorization Act passed the House on a vote of 315-107 and the Senate on a vote of 81-14.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Congress Expands Abortion Coverage for Women in U.S. Military
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:26:06 pm »
I'm betting they can claim rape as the reason for their pregnancy, and no one will question it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:47:58 am »
I'm betting they can claim rape as the reason for their pregnancy, and no one will question it.

So what do you want? A case by case investigation, to determine if it was a "legitimate rape?"

A company commander call his executive officer (XO) into the office.

Captain speaks: "Lieutenant, I'm giving you an assigned additional duty. Effective immediately, you must determine the facts about each reported rape. Find out if it was real ("legitimate") or not."

XO: "Sir, how do I do this?"

Captain: "Just do the best you can. You and I know it is pretty ridiculous. But the generals must bow to public pressure. Some districts want to run the country in some kind of puritanical manner. You know, William Cromwell, Scarlett Letters, etc. Just do the best you can."

XO: "Sir, what if I determine a rape did not occur? Does that mean the female can't get her abortion?"

Captain: "Just mark them all down as "Legitimate. Your job is to create the paper trail that we investigated. Our job is fighting wars, not being a moral police force."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:42:02 am »
IF they must have an abortion let them pay for it, not the taxpayers.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:22:13 pm »
I don't know how you managed to come up with such a fanciful scenario on the basis of my single comment, TS.  I didn't say anything about investigating to prove "legitimate rape," you just made that up. No need to put words in my mouth.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:14:21 pm »