Author Topic: Scientists May Have Finally Unlocked Puzzle of Why People Are Gay  (Read 2049 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/12/11/scientists-may-have-finally-unlocked-puzzle-of-why-people-are-gay

Scientists May Have Finally Unlocked Puzzle of Why People Are Gay
Lesbians get it from fathers, gay men from mothers?

By Jason Koebler
December 11, 2012

Scientists may have finally solved the puzzle of what makes a person gay, and how it is passed from parents to their children.

A group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuals get that trait from their opposite-sex parents: A lesbian will almost always get the trait from her father, while a gay man will get the trait from his mother.

The hereditary link of homosexuality has long been established, but scientists knew it was not a strictly genetic link, because there are many pairs of identical twins who have differing sexualities. Scientists from the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis say homosexuality seems to have an epigenetic, not a genetic link.

Long thought to have some sort of hereditary link, a group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuality is linked to epi-marks — extra layers of information that control how certain genes are expressed. These epi-marks are usually, but not always, "erased" between generations. In homosexuals, these epi-marks aren't erased — they're passed from father-to-daughter or mother-to-son, explains William Rice, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California Santa Barbara and lead author of the study.

"There is compelling evidence that epi-marks contribute to both the similarity and dissimilarity of family members, and can therefore feasibly contribute to the observed familial inheritance of homosexuality and its low concordance between [identical] twins," Rice notes.

Rice and his team created a mathematical model that explains why homosexuality is passed through epi-marks, not genetics. Evolutionarily speaking, if homosexuality was solely a genetic trait, scientists would expect the trait to eventually disappear because homosexuals wouldn't be expected to reproduce. But because these epi-marks provide an evolutionary advantage for the parents of homosexuals: They protect fathers of homosexuals from underexposure to testosterone and mothers of homosexuals from overexposure to testosterone while they are in gestation.

"These epi-marks protect fathers and mothers from excess or underexposure to testosterone — when they carry over to opposite-sex offspring, it can cause the masculinization of females or the feminization of males," Rice says, which can lead to a child becoming gay. Rice notes that these markers are "highly variable" and that only strong epi-marks will result in a homosexual offspring.

Though scientists have long suspected some sort of genetic link, Rice says studies attempting to explain why people are gay have been few and far between.

"Most mainstream biologists have shied away from studying it because of the social stigma," he says. "It's been swept under the rug, people are still stuck on this idea that it's unnatural. Well there are many examples of homosexuality in nature, it's very common." Homosexual behavior has been observed in black swans, penguins, sheep, and other animals, he says.

Rice's model still needs to be tested on real-life parent-offspring pairs, but he says this epigenetic link makes more sense than any other explanation, and that his team has mapped out a way for other scientists to test their work.

"We've found a story that looks really good," he says. "There's more verification needed, but we point out how we can easily do epigenetic profiles genome-wide. We predict where the epi-marks occur, we just need other studies to look at it empirically. This can be tested and proven within six months. It's easy to test. If it's a bad idea, we can throw it away in short order."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Scientists May Have Finally Unlocked Puzzle of Why People Are Gay
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:43:00 pm »
Another example of how political correctness permeates and corrupts science.  They are so desperate for a genetic explanation, they'll make one up without any evidence whatsoever.  All the evidence to date suggests that homosexuality can be either a genetic behavior or a learned behavior, or both.  The evidence also suggests that in the majority of cases, it is learned.  This evidence flies in the face of the political aspirations of gays, who find it absolutely necessary to prove that their sexual inclinations are beyond their control.  Doing so would make them equivalent to racial minorities and the disabled, and therefore subject to the preferential treatment afforded to Democrat-aligned victim groups.

Since academics are a Democrat-aligned group as well, you can bet there will be plenty of research "proving" the genetic link to homosexuality.  It will be right up there with the science on global warming in terms of academic integrity.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 01:27:50 am »
The most humorous thing about this in my eyes is that it's not even a study we're talking about here. It's just two scientists opining on a hypothesis-- no better than James Hansen's rantings.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 01:40:27 am »
Another example of how political correctness permeates and corrupts science.  They are so desperate for a genetic explanation, they'll make one up without any evidence whatsoever.  All the evidence to date suggests that homosexuality can be either a genetic behavior or a learned behavior, or both.  The evidence also suggests that in the majority of cases, it is learned.  This evidence flies in the face of the political aspirations of gays, who find it absolutely necessary to prove that their sexual inclinations are beyond their control.  Doing so would make them equivalent to racial minorities and the disabled, and therefore subject to the preferential treatment afforded to Democrat-aligned victim groups.

Since academics are a Democrat-aligned group as well, you can bet there will be plenty of research "proving" the genetic link to homosexuality.  It will be right up there with the science on global warming in terms of academic integrity.

As the article mentions, the one thing which constantly blows the "we're born that way" theory out of the water is identical twins where one is not homosexual.  They will never, ever give up though in trying to find the "gay gene" or some other BS to back up their beliefs.

I think it is mostly due to something in childhood, usually molestation by an adult of the same sex.  On occasion perhaps someone's brain is just screwed up and makes then more susceptible to being homosexual, but it is still their choice.  Millions of people have a disposition to things like drinking, drugs, gambling, or other behaviors but every day they choose to control those urges and not engage in destructive behavior.

And if homosexuality wasn't a choice, then why is it every single time I created an account on a dating website like Match.com did I get hit on by every flipping guy in my area even though my profile said I am straight?  If it is all genetic, then there is no way they could "flip/switch" me to their side, but they always tried.  It is the reason I do not even attempt Internet dating anymore.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:45:07 am by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:58:28 pm »
And if homosexuality wasn't a choice, then why is it every single time I created an account on a dating website like Match.com did I get hit on by every flipping guy in my area even though my profile said I am straight?  If it is all genetic, then there is no way they could "flip/switch" me to their side, but they always tried.  It is the reason I do not even attempt Internet dating anymore.

You should be flattered, honored even .  Homosexuals engage in a form of sex that is higher order than crude heterosexual sex.  All enlightened people know that.