Author Topic: Congress not keen on Afghan trip during Christmas  (Read 1138 times)

famousdayandyear

Congress not keen on Afghan trip during Christmas
« on: December 05, 2012, 05:19:01 pm »

Congress not keen on Afghan trip during Christmas
December 5th, 2012

A congressman, Rep. Mark Amodei, is finding it hard to sign up colleagues for a Congressional Delegation trip to Afghanistan to visit the troops over the holidays. I guess they don’t mind having the troops deployed and away from their own families during that holiday, but can’t impose upon themselves to make a trip. From the Washington Post;

The Nevada Republican, a freshman, sent a missive looking for folks to join him to celebrate the holiday with the troops on a trip that takes off Dec.21 and doesn’t return to Washington until Dec. 29. Not that folks don’t want to visit the war zone to light the Yuletide fires, it’s just that most already have plans with their kith and kin that time of year.

It’s ten days out of your lives, folks. The troops who will be there when you arrive will still be there when you leave. Their families will have celebrated Christmas without them. And most of them probably had other plans for the holiday season before they were called. So Ranger up, assholes.

http://thisainthell.us/

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: Congress not keen on Afghan trip during Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 05:27:46 pm »
It is becoming more of a mystery every day why anyone would want to serve this country in the Armed Forces.

I guess it pays some...but given the permanent unemployment and welfare, I'm not sure there's much advantage there either.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 05:33:50 pm »
It is becoming more of a mystery every day why anyone would want to serve this country in the Armed Forces.

I guess it pays some...but given the permanent unemployment and welfare, I'm not sure there's much advantage there either.

Reality is that "THEY ARE THERE, SERVING".  Apparently, not many in Congress want to sacrifice their own interests to visit and thereby uplift those serving for whatever reason.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 03:45:24 am »
Reality is that "THEY ARE THERE, SERVING".  Apparently, not many in Congress want to sacrifice their own interests to visit and thereby uplift those serving for whatever reason.

Believe me, when I was in the AoR, we would rather have a good USO show than put up with a bunch of prima donna politicians and their security BS.
We had some nameless under-secretary show up at Ramadi one day, and his security monkeys blocked off our access to the latrines.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 03:51:36 am »
Believe me, when I was in the AoR, we would rather have a good USO show than put up with a bunch of prima donna politicians and their security BS.
We had some nameless under-secretary show up at Ramadi one day, and his security monkeys blocked off our access to the latrines.

Good point I had not considered.  Thank you for your post.  Maybe these congress critters could help underwrite a rockin USO show for our warriors.  PS  always welcome your exacting POV.  Thx