Author Topic: '2016' Oscar Snub Has Filmmakers Claiming Political Bias  (Read 1187 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'2016' Oscar Snub Has Filmmakers Claiming Political Bias
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:58:53 pm »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/2016-oscar-snub-has-filmmakers-397855

'2016' Oscar Snub Has Filmmakers Claiming Political Bias
3:08 PM PST 12/4/2012 by Paul Bond

Gerald Molen, who produced the Academy Award-winning 'Schindler's List,' said the box-office success of the anti-Obama documentary proves the film was a hit: "The action confirms my opinion that the bias against anything from a conservative point of view is dead on arrival in Hollywood."

Gerald Molen, the Oscar-winning producer of Schindler’s List, is claiming political bias because a documentary movie he produced this year isn't up for an Oscar, even though that film, 2016: Obama’s America, made more money at the box office than the combined earning of the 15 films the Academy deemed eligible.

2016 is a negative take on President Barack Obama. It was co-written and directed by author Dinesh D’Souza, and earned $33.4 million at the domestic box office. But its omission on the list of the 15 documentaries the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Monday would advance in the voting process makes it ineligible for an Oscar.

"Dinesh warned me this might happen," Molen laughed on Tuesday. "The action confirms my opinion that the bias against anything from a conservative point of view is dead on arrival in Hollywood circles. The film’s outstanding success means that America went to see the documentary in spite of how Hollywood feels about it."

RELATED: '2016: Obama's America' Filmmakers Claim Organized Disinformation Campaign

D'Souza echoed his producer's words.

"I want to thank the Academy for not nominating our film,” D’Souza joked. "By ignoring 2016, the top performing box-office hit of 2012, and pretending that films like Searching for Sugar Man and This Is Not a Film are more deserving of an Oscar, our friends in Hollywood have removed any doubt average Americans may have had that liberal political ideology, not excellence, is the true standard of what receives awards."

The documentaries from 2012 that the Academy has deemed Oscar-worthy besides Sugar Man and Not a Film are: Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry; Bully; Chasing Ice; Detropia;  Ethel; 5 Broken Cameras; The Gatekeepers; The House I Live In;  How to Survive a Plague; The Imposter; The Invisible War; Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God; and The Waiting Room.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: '2016' Oscar Snub Has Filmmakers Claiming Political Bias
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:33:57 pm »
"Dinesh warned me this might happen," Molen laughed on Tuesday.
Gee, ya think? The Academy Awards only occasionally go to the "best" of anything.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org