Author Topic: NBC's Bob Costas Goes On Gun Control Rant About NFL Player's Murder-Suicide  (Read 3313 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/12/03/nbcs_bob_costas_goes_on_gun_control_rant_about_nfl_players_murder-suicide.html

Posted on December 3, 2012
NBC's Bob Costas Goes On Gun Control Rant About NFL Player's Murder-Suicide

Bob Costas, discussing the murder-suicide of NFL's Jovan Belcher, went on a gun rant during halftime of NBC's Sunday Night Football. Transcript of his remarks below.

BOB COSTAS: Well, you knew it was coming. In the aftermath of the nearly unfathomable events in Kansas City, that most mindless of sports clichés was heard yet again: Something like this really puts it all in perspective. Well, if so, that sort of perspective has a very short shelf-life since we will inevitably hear about the perspective we have supposedly again regained the next time ugly reality intrudes upon our games. Please, those who need tragedies to continually recalibrate their sense of proportion about sports would seem to have little hope of ever truly achieving perspective. You want some actual perspective on this? Well, a bit of it comes from the Kansas City-based writer Jason Whitlock with whom I do not always agree, but who today said it so well that we may as well just quote or paraphrase from the end of his article.

"Our current gun culture,"Whitlock wrote, "ensures that more and more domestic disputes will end in the ultimate tragedy and that more convenience-store confrontations over loud music coming from a car will leave more teenage boys bloodied and dead."

"Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it. In the coming days, Jovan Belcher’s actions, and their possible connection to football will be analyzed. Who knows?"

"But here," wrote Jason Whitlock," is what I believe. If Jovan Belcher didn’t possess a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Incredibly stupid, but all too typical of libs.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Lando Lincoln

Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman have yet to weigh in on the matter.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline andy58-in-nh

Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman have yet to weigh in on the matter.

If Nicole Simpson had been carrying a handgun, she might be alive today. Of course, O.J. likely wouldn't.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
And if Bob Costas didn't possess a really bad hairpiece, he might not look like he has a mongoose keeping his head warm.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline andy58-in-nh

And if Bob Costas didn't possess a really bad hairpiece, he might not look like he has a mongoose keeping his head warm.

If hairpieces are outlawed, only outlaws will have hairpieces.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline collins

Yeah, I saw this last night. When I heard the announcers say they were going to address the KC shooting at halftime, I was hoping they would just mention it and go on but when I saw the name "Bob Costas", I braced myself for more incoming libtardation and Botox.

Unbelievable the way he whined and preached - "gun culture", idiot. The NFL really needs to stop letting NBC tools have anything to do with sports.

Offline Rapunzel

Turns out the guy was on heavy medication and drinking heavily due to head injuries... but by all means, Costas, blame the gun.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Lando Lincoln

Turns out the guy was on heavy medication and drinking heavily due to head injuries... but by all means, Costas, blame the gun.

Is that true??
John Steinbeck

Offline SouthTexas

An open letter to Bob Costas and Jason Whitlock

Posted: December 3, 2012 by alexthechick in Liberal FAIL, Op/Sped, You'll pry 'em from my cold dead hands   

Gentlemen: I see that you have chosen to use the horrific crime of the murder of Kasandra Perkins to express your belief that guns are the problem, not the men who wield them. I am utterly certain that you believe that you have the moral high ground on this matter. I am equally certain that such a belief is appallingly wrong, not to mention terribly misogynistic. Why do I say this? Because had your desires on gun control been in place, I would not be alive to be writing this now....

Read it all here:  http://doubleplusundead.com/2012/12/03/an-open-letter-to-bob-costas-and-jason-whitlock/

Offline SevenofNine

Re: NBC's Bob Costas Goes On Gun Control Rant About NFL Player's Murder-Suicide
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 09:12:22 pm »
I think that fake tanning gone to Bobby brain

SHUT UP BOBBY get rid of that hairpiece look like dead racoon on his dome

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 09:15:27 pm »
Is that true??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2242171/Kansas-City-Chief-Jovan-Belcher-struggled-head-injuries-alcohol-painkillers-killing-girlfriend.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Kansas City Chief Belcher may have struggled with head injuries, alcohol, and painkillers before killing his girlfriend, friends say

Tipster claims Belcher drank heavily every day and was experiencing short-term memory loss

Head injuries and painkillers may have contributed to Belcher's mental state

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, 25, shot and killed his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins, 22, at their home Saturday morning

First he thanked his coach and general manager for everything they had done for him and then he shot himself in the head in front of them

By Mike Dawes

PUBLISHED: 05:21 EST, 3 December 2012 | UPDATED: 05:21 EST, 3 December 2012

Friends of Kansas City Chief Jovan Belcher say his mental state may have been deteriorated due to a history of head injuries, pain killers, and alcohol abuse.

Belcher shot and killed his girlfriend in front of his mother at their Kansas City home on Saturday, then drove to the team's practice facility, where he committed suicide in the parking lot as head coach Romeo Crennel and General Manager Scott Pioli watched.

The tragedy dampened the atmosphere at the Arrowhead Stadium and tempered the joy of the victory, which snapped an eight-game losing streak and improved Kansas City's record to 2-10.

Row: The couple apparently argued on Friday night after Perkins attended a concert by Trey Songz

And now person claiming to be close to Belcher has revealed in a series of e-mails that these issues as well as long-term domestic problems between himself and his girlfriend may have led Belcher to the murder-suicide he committed Saturday morning.

In a series of e-mails to Deadspin, the friend describes

'They have been arguing for quite sometime and had separated 2 weeks ago,' the anonymous friend wrote. 'He had brought her and the baby back home however, they were both arguing on a regular basis. Both of them are/were very young and immature and that combined with other factors led to this tragedy.'

The friend adds that many of their recent arguments focused on Perkins failing college classes Belcher paid for and quitting her retail job, as well as telling Belcher that she was leaving him and would find a lawyer to 'get as much money as possible' from the football player.

And Belcher may have reacted to all this differently if he wasn't messed up from booze, meds, and taking shots to the head on the field.

'When it comes to prescription medication it is unclear from my perspective whether it was diagnosed and authorized by the team or not,' the friend wrote. 'However I know he was under the influence of narcotics for pain and I'm sure the toxicology report will reflect this. However, Jovan drank ALOT. On a nightly basis. This is not a mystery as he did so in public and private.

'When it comes to his concussions; if you review the footage of the Cincinnati game he took a few hits to the head directly [...] he was dazed and was suffering from short term memory loss. He could not remember the events that had taken place prior to that game or what he had said to get Kasi to return home.'

MailOnline recently revealed that the NFL star was a member of a group which campaigns against violence towards women.

Belcher was part of Male Athletes Against Violence and had pledged to develop deep-held beliefs against attacking females.

Among the promises he would have made is one to ‘look honestly at my actions in regard to violence and make changes if necessary’.

Belcher would also have taken part in the White Ribbon campaign - those taking part vow to ‘never to commit, condone nor remain silent about violence against women’.

The 25-year-old linebacker was a member of MAAV whilst studying at the University of Maine where he played football for three years until he signed with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2009.

On Saturday his past as an anti-violence campaigner apparently meant little when he shot Perkins dead in a row when she came home from an R&B concert the night before.

His mother discovered the body as she was living in the house too and called 911.

Belcher then drove to his team’s stadium and shot himself dead in front of his coach and general manager.

He and Perkins lived together and three months ago had a baby girl but are said to have rowed frequently.

The horrific murder suicide came one day before a Kansas home game against the Carolina Panthers which went ahead as scheduled, which the Chiefs won 27-21.

As friends and family try to work out what drove Belcher over the edge, it now seems that in recent years he was a champion of women’s rights.

Whilst at UMaine he was part of MAAV which describes itself as an ‘effort to involve men so that we can begin to understand that violence is very much a ‘man’s issue.’'

It supports the White Ribbon campaign in which male athletes wear a white ribbon as a public display of their stand against violent men.

Among the promotional posters are some with football players which have slogans like: ‘Join the huddle. Work together to end violence’ and ‘Stand tough against violence’.

Belcher himself has even spoken about his respect for women which he developed because his father was never around.

In a 2008 interview he said: ‘My mother is a hardworking woman. To see her overcome some things and succeed, it makes me look at things and say, ‘this isn’t even hard.’

‘I didn’t really have a father figure, so they provided nice guidance for me.’
Belcher

On Facebook, a profile for Perkins includes pictures of her with Belcher, whom she refers to as her boyfriend

On Facebook, a profile for Kasandra Perkins includes pictures of her and Belcher with their three month old baby

Judging from pictures posted on Kasandra's Facebook page, Belcher and his girlfriend had appeared to be happy and in love following the birth of their first child.

Belcher had argued with his girlfriend after she came home late from an R&B concert the night before he shot her dead then drove to his team's stadium and committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager, it has emerged.

The 25-year-old Kansas City Chiefs linebacker fatally shot 22-year-old Kasandra Perkins early on Saturday morning, then killed himself in the presence of Chiefs staff after first thanking them for everything they had done for him, police said.

The couple lived together and three months ago had a baby together on September 11 - but a friend said they quarrelled frequently, and added that they fought when Perkins arrived home at 1am after attending a performance by Trey Songz.

Authorities did not confirm a possible motive for the murder-suicide, which stunned the team and came one day before a home game against the Carolina Panthers. The NFL said the game would go on as scheduled.

Judging from pictures posted on Kasandra's Facebook page, the young couple had appeared to be happy and in love following the birth of their first child.

'Jovan and Kasandra always seemed to be in love. In fact, when Kasandra got pregnant, she and Jovan were ecstatic. Ever since the baby was born in September, the two couldn’t have seemed happier together,' a member of the Perkin's family told TMZ.

However, a friend told the Kansas City Star she had frequently seen them argue over the course of their relationship - though she had no reason to believe their fights had ever become violent.

Belcher’s agent Joe Linta told ESPN’s Adam Schefter: 'I'm in shock. So out of character. He was the last person in the world you would expect to do this.'

'Jovan was a happy, proud father, with pictures of his baby on his Facebook page,' Linta told SI.com's Peter King in a phone call on Saturday afternoon. 'This is shocking. Something went crazy wrong, and we'll probably never know what it is.'

'Never until four hours ago did I think Jovan was anything but a model citizen,' Linta told King.

'He came to my youth clinics in the offseason and worked with kids. He was a gracious, unselfish, hard-working, dedicated kid -- very, very caring of some of the underprivileged kids who came to the clinics. I saw him in a real positive way.

'I never take on anyone as a client I wouldn't be proud to take home and spend time with my wife and kids. Jovan was one of those type of people.

'There's no word for this other than shocking. That's all I can think of.'

Belcher was a 25-year-old native of West Babylon, New York, on Long Island, played college ball at Maine. He had played all four of his NFL seasons for the Chiefs and played in every game each year, including the 11 so far this season. His 2012 salary was $1,927,000, four times what he had earned for the previous year.

Before turning the gun on himself, Belcher thanked Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel for all they had done for him, police spokesman Darin Snapp said.

Belcher's mother had recently moved in with the couple, possibly to help with the baby, at their residence in Independence, Missouri about five miles away from the Arrowhead complex.

She called police just before 8 a.m. to report Perkins had been shot multiple times. Perkins was transported to The University of Kansas hospital, where she died a short time later.

'When we arrived, a lady informed us that her daughter had been shot multiple times by her boyfriend, by the daughter's boyfriend,' Snapp said. 'She identified him as a Chiefs player.'

Snapp told KCTV5 that a call was then received from the Chiefs' practice facility.

Jovan Belcher #59 stretches before a game against the Oakland Raiders at Arrowhead Stadium in 2009 Jovan Belcher #59 stretches before a game against the Oakland Raiders at Arrowhead Stadium in 2009

'The description matched the suspect description from that other address. We kind of knew what we were dealing with,' he said. The player was 'holding a gun to his head' as he stood in front of the front doors of the practice facility.

'And there were Pioli and Crennel and another coach or employee was standing outside and appeared to be talking to him. It appeared they were talking to the suspect,' Snapp said.

'The suspect began to walk in the opposite direction of the coaches and the officers and that's when they heard the gunshot. It appears he took his own life.'

The coaches told police they never felt in any danger, Snapp said.

'They said the player was actually thanking them for everything they'd done for him,' he said. 'They were just talking to him and he was thanking them and everything.

'They said he was not a danger to anyone else," Snapp said. 'Belcher thanked them for being a Chief, and that's when he walked away.'

Outside Belcher's family home in West Babylon, Long Island, family and friends gathered on Saturday afternoon to toast their deceased friends life.

They have created a shrine to the football player on Matthews Avenue complete with Chiefs jerseys and flags from the University of Maine.

Ruben Marshall, a family friend who said he was Belcher's Police Athletic League coach growing up, told Newsday Belcher was a 'loving father and family man.'

'I couldn't believe it,' he said upon hearing the news Saturday morning. 'I didn't want to believe it,' Marshall, 42, said as he stood outside the home.

'He was a good person," Marshall said. 'Somebody you'd want to be around as a role model.'

Kansas City Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel: This season has been a massive disappointment for the Chiefs

Before killing himself, Belcher thanked Kansas City Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel for everything he had done for him

'The entire Chiefs family is deeply saddened by today's events, and our collective hearts are heavy with sympathy, thoughts and prayers for the families and friends affected by this unthinkable tragedy,' Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a statement.

'We sincerely appreciate the expressions of sympathy and support we have received from so many in the Kansas City and NFL communities, and ask for continued prayers for the loved ones of those impacted,' Hunt said. 'We will continue to fully cooperate with the authorities and work to ensure that the appropriate counseling resources are available to all members of the organization.'

The NFL released a statement that also expressed sympathy and said, 'we have connected the Chiefs with our national team of professional counselors to support both the team and the families of those affected. We will continue to provide assistance in any way that we can.'

'Think about your worst nightmare and multiply it by five,' James was quoted as saying.

'This is part of the tragedy of urban living in this country,' Mayor James told reporters outside the practice facility.

'Handguns all over the place, people blowing themselves away, and others. At some point we have to get a handle on this kind of stuff. We are not doing a good job of it.'

Belcher is the second Kansas City Chiefs employee to be involved in a murder-suicide in the last four months. On Labor Day Luis Angel Roberson Rodriquez, who worked in the Chiefs stadium operations department, killed himself after shooting his girlfriend Jamie Kristine Kimble near the Tampa International Airport.

The season has been a massive disappointment for the Chiefs, who were expected to contend for the AFC West title.

But they're just 1-10 and mired in an eight-game losing streak that has been marked by devastating injuries and fan upheaval, with constant calls the past few weeks for general manager Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel to be fired.

The Chiefs have been ravaged by injuries, led the league in turnovers, can't settle on a quarterback and are dealing with a full-fledged fan rebellion. The Twitter account for a fan group known as "Save Our Chiefs" recently surpassed 80,000 followers, about 17,000 more than the announced crowd at a recent game.

Things have been so bad this season that Crennel fired himself as defensive coordinator.

THE NFL'S DEADLY HISTORY OF CONCUSSIONS AND SUICIDES

The motive for Belcher's murder-suicide is unknown at this point, but authorities will undoubtedly  consider the impact of head injuries he may have sustained playing in the NFL.

In the past two years, the suicides of six NFL players have been linked to chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), which is caused by repeated blows to the head.

Sufferers can show symptoms such as memory loss, aggression, confusion and depression which may appear within months or many decades later. Later in life it can eventually cause dementia.

Experts believe CTE may be caused by the loss of neurons and scarring of brain tissue among other injuries caused by repeated concussion.

It changes brain cells' cytoskeletons, which is thought to be due to damage to cerebral blood vessels. The condition is virtually indistinguishable from Alzheimer’s.

Players who have committed suicide in recent years, with possible links to the condition, include:

Dave Duerson: This two-time Super Bowl winner shot himself in February 2011 after texting family members asking for his brain to be examined for CTE.

Wade Belak: The former Nashville Predator was found dead in September 2011, having hanged himself in a Toronto hotel room.

Junior Seau: In May 2012 the former San Diego Charger died of a gunshot wound to the chest. He was found by his girlfriend at his home in California.

Kurt Crain: The South Alabama associate head football coach, who once played in the NFL, shot himself in April 2012. He had had reportedly been suffering from a severe prostate infection.

Ray Easterling: Also in April, this one-time Atlanta Falcons star shot himself at home after struggling to cope with dementia.

O.J. Murdock: In July, the 25-year-old Tennessee Titans wide receiver fatally shot himself while sitting in his car after texting his coach to apologise.

Video: Kansas City football player shoots his girlfriend dead and then kills himself

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 09:45:33 pm »
Thanks Rap.  Wow, if true.  I hope the toxicology reports become public.
John Steinbeck

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 09:58:24 pm »
It would be good if his family follows recent suit and donates his brain for scientific research, this is a growing trend that needs to be addressed.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 10:10:15 pm »
You guys......you're falling hook line and sinker.

The American Lawyers Association should be writing a check real soon to "....further investigate brain concussion effects....."

".....on 'carjackers' wearing shoulder pads and helmets.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:06:38 pm »
I'm grateful his mother and his child are still alive.  Too often when guys like this lose it they take out everyone around them.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 11:48:30 pm »
I resent that they are essentially trying to give total absolution to any football player who 'goes postal'....because of the violence of the game.

He was obviously a guy with anger management problems who couldn't handle a woman having him over a barrel financially.   She wanted to leave him and sue for child support.    And here.....he flies HIS own mother into town to help her with the baby.   Ungrateful  beeotch!   [/s]

Using the same bullsh*t barometers, any actuary table will show you that basketball is a much more lethal sport. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 11:58:36 pm »
Well....whaddaya know!

Schnitt Show Caller Claims Family Brutalized By Jovan Belcher

Read more: http://www.schnittshow.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=124415&article=10613083

TAMPA, Fla. (SchnittShow.com)  Monday, a caller on the nationally syndicated “Schnitt Show” claimed his family was terrorized by Jovan Belcher, the Kansas City Chiefs star who killed his girlfriend before taking his own life Saturday.

The caller, who raised his family on Long Island, says his son attended school with Jovan, who regularly bullied and beat up his son.

“We went to the police, we went to the Department of Education.  We couldn’t do nothing about this kid.  Around adults, he always acted like he was such a sweet little guy.”

The caller eventually had to relocate his family to Florida, just to get away from Belcher.

About Belcher, the caller said, “ He destroyed my family. He should have been dead 10 years ago.”

Finally, the caller said, “I’d like to know where he’s buried, so I can go and pee on it.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 12:00:43 am »
I resent that they are essentially trying to give total absolution to any football player who 'goes postal'....because of the violence of the game.

He was obviously a guy with anger management problems who couldn't handle a woman having him over a barrel financially.   She wanted to leave him and sue for child support.    And here.....he flies HIS own mother into town to help her with the baby.   Ungrateful  beeotch!   [/s]

Using the same bullsh*t barometers, any actuary table will show you that basketball is a much more lethal sport.

Sounds like you are making excuses for him killing her.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 12:52:11 am »
Sounds like you are making excuses for him killing her.

???

I am doing just the opposite.  WTF?

I'm saying that he was just another violent-tempered hood and that crashing into other men on the field had nothing to do with the event.

Whatever his reasoning at the time, I question anybody that would resort to such an act while his own mother was in the house.

That fact alone says he was a problem.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 01:37:22 am »
???

I am doing just the opposite.  WTF?

I'm saying that he was just another violent-tempered hood and that crashing into other men on the field had nothing to do with the event.

Whatever his reasoning at the time, I question anybody that would resort to such an act while his own mother was in the house.

That fact alone says he was a problem.

Then I misunderstood your comment about the ungrateful #itch.....    whether brain damage plays a roll or doesn't will depend on whether he had issues before he played football.  Hard to ignore so many of these guys going postal lately as the players get bigger and bigger and the hits more and more dangerous... the guy in CA last year's autopsy of his brain did determine there was damage.  It isn't just football players, BTW, there is a lot of sports where head injuries apply... they have even redesigned the helmets and the cars in NHRA because of it.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 03:55:25 am »
In college, Belcher punched out window over girl
Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY Sports

8:36PM EST December 3. 2012 - During his time as a football standout at the University of Maine, Jovan Belcher seriously gashed his arm when he punched out a window while "upset with a girl," according to a campus police report obtained by USA Today Sports Media Group.

Belcher, 25, who was in his fourth season as an NFL linebacker with the Kansas City Chiefs, shot and killed his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, Saturday and then fatally shot himself outside the Chiefs' team complex, according to police.

In a University of Maine Police Department incident report filed on April 1 of 2006, the reporting officer said he went to Adroscoggin Hall to respond to a report of a male with a "serious cut" on his arm. The officer said he found Belcher receiving medical treatment for cuts to the wrist and thumb. The report added, "The injuries consisted of possible severed thumb and lacerations to the wrist. ... There was a lot of blood."

The officer also said, "I was told that Belcher was upset over a girl and punched out a window."

The case was classified as "criminal mischief" and referred to the school's Judicial Affairs office. On Monday, Robert Oceander, vice president and dean of students at Maine, said he could not comment on the resolution of that incident because of student privacy laws.

He did, however, say that in general what would happen in incidents such as that is a "student would be attended to by a professional staff member on whatever situation arose, controlling emotions, managing anger, what have you." He added that when property is destroyed "typically restitution would be required" and the student would be subject to a range of discipline from a warning to dismissal.

The report said the total damage was estimated at $200.

"A case like this would be on the lower end," he said. "You'd have to comport behavior to university expectations or the punishment would be severe."

Oceander worked at the school at the time. Asked if he ever saw any reason to be concerned over Belcher's behavior he replied, "No."

In another incident on Feb, 25, 2007, officers responded to a complaint of disorderly conduct and noise at Gannett Hall. The report said the complaint was called in by somebody who "became concerned about the raised voices" of Belcher and a girlfriend.

The officer said he found Belcher and the woman outside his room. "There was no indication of the discussion being physical and there was no indication of intoxication on either party," said the report.

The report said Belcher and the woman both said she was supposed to contact him by 11 p.m., and did not. "He became worried and when she did show up he told her that he did not want to see her until the morning. She asked to stay with him, but he said that it would be better to leave," said the report.

The woman was given a ride by campus police to another location, according to the report.

Over the weekend, the school said the only record of any interaction between Belcher and campus police involved helping him gain access to his dorm room after he had locked himself out. On Monday, however, the school released a statement that said they had searched records using a misspelled named (Jevon instead of Jovan) and found other police reports.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/12/03/jovan-belcher-maine-police-report-campus-punch-window-cut-arm/1744281/
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 05:08:59 am »
Source: Belcher was out with 2nd woman prior to murder-suicide

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/12/03/jovan-belcher-case-new-information/index.html

According to a law enforcement official close to the investigation, Jovan Belcher was out "partying" the night before he shot Kasandra Perkins. He had been with a woman in the Power and Light District, an area of bars in downtown Kansas City.

Belcher and the woman had become separated at some point and he went to her apartment in a complex in Kansas City, but she wasn't there, the official said. According to two of the woman's neighbors, Belcher was intoxicated and they let him stay in their apartment so he could get some sleep.

Belcher asked them to wake him by 6:30 a.m. so he could attend a team meeting later that morning, the official said. "I'll get fined if I don't make it," Belcher told them.

The women woke Belcher and he went to the house he and Perkins shared at about 6:30 a.m. or 7 a.m. She had returned home several hours earlier after attending a Trey Songz concert and being out in the Power and Light District, as well.

The couple then argued before Belcher killed Perkins and later killed himself.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Online mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 01:35:25 pm »
Belcher spent night with a gal pal before killing
By TARA PALMERI
New York Post Correspondent
Posted: 1:09 AM, December 4, 2012
KANSAS CITY, Mo — He was playing the field.

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher had a boozy dinner with another woman and spent the night at her apartment before he went home, fought with and killed his girlfriend, and then ended his own life in a practice-facility parking lot, sources said yesterday.

After dinner and drinks Friday night at a local tavern, the former Long Island high-school star took the woman, Brittni Glass, to her home, but spent the next several hours asleep in his Bentley outside her building, neighbors said.

After cops roused him from his drunken slumber at about 2:30 a.m., Belcher went inside Glass’ building and re-emerged about four hours later.

“I was with him that night, that’s it,” a reluctant Glass told The Post yesterday.

Belcher drove away at about 6:45 a.m., making the 10-minute ride to the home he shared with Kasandra Perkins, the mother of his 3-month-old daughter.

Cops said Belcher quarreled with Perkins and shot her nine times as his own mom watched in horror. Perkins’ body was found on a bathroom floor.

Belcher then drove to the Chiefs’ practice facility at 8 a.m. and shot himself in the head with a different gun in front of the team’s coach and general manager.

Glass said she told police they had been together that night.

Cops confirmed that several people came forward to tell them about Belcher’s visit.

“His Bentley was parked outside,” a neighbor said. “He went upstairs. He was drunk. He went up to see the girl.’’

Early reports said Belcher flew into a rage after Perkins returned late from a Trey Songz concert at about 1 a.m.

But according to Glass and her neighbors, Belcher wasn’t even home then.

Residents said they had seen Belcher — who had a $1.9 million contract with the Chiefs this year — and his distinctive black Bentley at the building several times in recent months.

Glass said she and Belcher were not in a relationship and declined to say exactly where he slept.

Meanwhile, a new report said Belcher had been violent in a past relationship.

In 2006, while a grid star at the University of Maine, he punched his fist through a window because he was “upset with a girl,’’ said a police report obtained by USA Today.

Less than a year later, campus cops responded to a complaint of disorderly conduct at a dorm after someone “became concerned about the raised voices” of Belcher and a girlfriend outside his room, the paper said..

Yesterday, Perkins’ family broke its silence for the first time since the tragedy.

“Our wish is for Kasi to be remembered for the love she shared with us all. Kasi will be truly missed,” they said in a statement.

As some people questioned why Belcher needed a gun — much less two — some teammates defended the right.

“If you have daughters, you should [have a gun],” said defensive lineman Shaun Smith.

Linebacker Brandon Siler, who had Thanksgiving dinner with Belcher, added, “Most of the time, they’re for self-defense or sport.”

Sports Illustrated said Belcher specifically asked to speak to his coaches before ending his life.

“I came here to tell you thank you,” Belcher told GM Scott Pioli. “Thank you for my chance. I love you, bro.”

He then shot himself.
By Costas' logic, we also should ban other women, booze, Bentleys, windows and dorm rooms.   :shrug:

A commenter at the NY Post article notes:
Sounds like a rational well balanced gentleman. Bob Costas is right. If only that gun did not jump into Belcher's hand and go off at the exact moment he was arguing with his girlfriend. They would both be alive. I am sure if there was no gun Belcher would have done nothing and just calmly said he was sorry and gone out for bagels instead.
:laugh:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:36:44 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org