Author Topic: Close Quarters  (Read 1842 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Close Quarters
« on: December 01, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »
Look, I get that people are fond of their guns. The street sweeper (which I do not possess) is never more than twenty feet from me at any time, though ammo is hard as hell to get here. Yet sometimes you may need to get down and dirty in close combat. There are a few options to choose from - some legal, some not, depending on where you live.

Martial Arts

The fact that spell check tried to change that to Marital Arts twice might be a hint. Don't get me wrong - I am a fan. They are one of the greatest and most fun ways to stay fit ever devised. It is also pretty much the best way to get your ass handed to you on a silver platter. In a close situation, there is no referee. No scoring. Every instinct trained into you is a liability, not an asset.

Knives

I don't mean to belittle a thousand bad movies, but you are more likely to slice yourself open with a knife than you are to do damage to an attacker. Knives take practice. Many hours of it to be even semi proficient - as much practice as a gun requires. Sure, they are there in the drawer or the knife rack, or sheathed at your hip, but you ain't going to Rambo someone without some serious training time.

Machete

Lets move up the scale to "Now, that is a knife." A machete or one of it's variants seems to be an ideal close quarters weapon. Heavy, gives you a bit of stand off room, can be used one or two handed and it just looks scary in motion. Now, how strong are your wrists?
Even using a machete for it's intended purpose is exhausting in a very short space of time. Your wrist gets tired fast and the blade starts to twist or droop as you swing, meaning you are smacking your target with the flat of the blade. Embarrassing and painful for your attacker, but hardly lethal. Should you manage to hit the person with the cutting edge, you have a better than even chance of suddenly being disarmed as your blade gets stuck. Oddly, the sharper you keep the machete, the more likely it is to get stuck in someone.

A Stick

Before you start laughing, stick fighting is an ancient and devastatingly effective art. Look up Eskrima, or the quarterstaff, and no one ever questions you carrying a walking stick or a cane. If it is good enough for Andrew Jackson, it is good enough for you.
Again, it gives you a bit of stand off room, it can be used for jabbing as well as hitting and, as anyone who grew up in the 50's can attest, hurts like hell when it hits.
The only real downsides to a stick are that it needs a bit of room in order to be used effectively and it tends to be made of wood that can break at an inconvenient time.

A Log Splitter

We call them a maul here in the UK, for good reason. They are the perfect tool for ruining someone's day.

Back in the day, this was used to take out armored knights

Again, they are slightly heavy and need some room to use, but they have one over-riding advantage. Someone hit with one of these stays hit. Trim the handle down to about 18 inches or so for maximum effectiveness.

So, what is your favorite close quarters weapon?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

gogogodzilla

Re: Close Quarters
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
I like this:

It's an Indian punch dagger (katar).  If you know how to punch, then you know how to use it.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »
Wasp spray.   :whistle:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:55:52 AM »
That punch dagger is beautiful in it's own right and is getting added to the kit, though it'll be hard to find the practice time. It is going to throw off aim slightly at the very least (see - another point against martial arts)

Wasp spray (or pepper spray, mace, even de-icer) is a firm favorite of mine, since I am a strong believer in the "disable them long enough to run like hell" school of defense. An attacker can't hurt you if you are not there! But kept easily accessible please! Coat pocket, not handbag or back pack.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:47:35 AM »
I keep the wasp spray behind the counter at my shop.  It's also handy for wasps!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

gogogodzilla

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
That punch dagger is beautiful in it's own right and is getting added to the kit, though it'll be hard to find the practice time. It is going to throw off aim slightly at the very least (see - another point against martial arts)

Wasp spray (or pepper spray, mace, even de-icer) is a firm favorite of mine, since I am a strong believer in the "disable them long enough to run like hell" school of defense. An attacker can't hurt you if you are not there! But kept easily accessible please! Coat pocket, not handbag or back pack.

It's really meant to be used in pairs, one for each hand.  What's nice is that this kind of katar has a hand guard that goes halfway up your lower arm.  That way you can also use the entire weapon to block (and you don't really need any special training, as you'd block with it the same way you block with your arm, ie: by just lifting it up to stop the swing of your opponent's arm).

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »
Cool thread! 

Played organized sports, very competitive right through college.  I can count on one hand how many physical altercations I've had in my life.

...and have fingers left over.

I would pee in my pants if somebody was coming at me with those punch daggers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc</a>
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

gogogodzilla

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
Cool thread! 

Played organized sports, very competitive right through college.  I can count on one hand how many physical altercations I've had in my life.

...and have fingers left over.

I would pee in my pants if somebody was coming at me with those punch daggers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc</a>

Here's a video of how it works (I can't figure out how to embed it here, though).  Ignore the theatrics, though, as the voice over is talking out it's rear.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/n60ut1/deadliest-warrior-insides-out

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:29:28 PM »
A stick, or perhaps a shovel handle or axe handle, seems to be the best general-purpose, I-haven't-really-trained-with-it, weapon; not the least because it is relatively innocuous and not per se a deadly weapon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf