Author Topic: New tools to help vets find jobs  (Read 1631 times)

famousdayandyear

New tools to help vets find jobs
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:48:30 pm »
New tools to help vets find jobs

By Bethany Crudele - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Nov 23, 2012 10:33:43 EST

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce will roll out new employment tools for veterans as part of the Hiring Our Heroes initiative over the next several months. In addition to an online personal branding tool kit, expected to launch in February, the chamber, in partnership with Google, is also developing an enhanced online mapping tool, “Fast Track,” to help service members and veterans identify the 100 fastest-growing job markets in the U.S. and the key industries driving growth in local communities.

By the end of November, the map will be populated with veteran-friendly career opportunities in Fortune 500 companies.

Retired Marine Lt. Col. Kevin Schmiegel, executive director of Hiring our Heroes and vice president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, said the chamber also plans to populate the map with information on how to use the GI Bill at community colleges, vocational schools, apprenticeships and credentialing programs to earn specific qualifications and help veterans find job opportunities in manufacturing and other industries.

Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer, a partner in the initiative, said “Fast Track” will help veterans identify credible employers and training programs.

“The online map tool is going to be a huge hit because it’s going to be a one-stop shop for veterans. It’s definitely frustrating trying to determine all the different areas you can go to. You don’t know which ones are credible and which ones aren’t,” Meyer said Nov. 15 during a Washington conference that brought in employers from the public and private sectors to discuss their veteran hiring goals.

The Chamber of Commerce hopes to find employment for half a million veterans and military spouses by the end of 2014. To date, more than 800 businesses have pledged to hire 182,000 veterans through the campaign. Since March, more than 14,000 veterans have found employment through Hiring Our Heroes job fairs. The chamber also plans to incorporate more transition workshops into those job fairs.

Meyer, who encouraged employers to think of four years in the military as being as valuable as four years at a university, said businesses need to continue to provide viable employment opportunities that allow veterans to use the skills they learned in theater.

“Companies need to stop looking at it as charity,” he said. “It’s not charity. It’s just doing what’s right.”

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/11/marine-chamber-commerce-hiring-jobs-112312/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Oceander

Re: New tools to help vets find jobs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 08:01:23 pm »
Meyer, who encouraged employers to think of four years in the military as being as valuable as four years at a university,

Quite honestly, four years in the military is almost certainly more valuable than four years at most universities and in most degree programs.  If nothing else, most vets have a sense of self-discipline and of getting the job done first before you go and play that is more valuable than most so-called larnin' because on-the-job training can easily supplant any lack of a university degree, but no amount of on-the-job training in a civilian job can instill the sort of self-discipline that is so necessary to the success of most businesses.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 03:13:37 am »
Quite honestly, four years in the military is almost certainly more valuable than four years at most universities and in most degree programs.  If nothing else, most vets have a sense of self-discipline and of getting the job done first before you go and play that is more valuable than most so-called larnin' because on-the-job training can easily supplant any lack of a university degree, but no amount of on-the-job training in a civilian job can instill the sort of self-discipline that is so necessary to the success of most businesses.

Word....

I used to be against the draft, but our young kids are so spoiled and so into me, me. me. I think a min of two years in the military would be a good thing.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Allegra

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 03:33:55 am »
Word....

I used to be against the draft, but our young kids are so spoiled and so into me, me. me. I think a min of two years in the military would be a good thing.

My sentiments exactly.  I was strongly opposed to a draft, but I think a few years in the military would benefit the younger generation immensely.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 12:32:06 pm »
How in the world would the military deal with the low life scum that would be drafted into their midst.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 01:55:31 pm »
How in the world would the military deal with the low life scum that would be drafted into their midst.

The same way the military has always dealt with the low life scum that has always been drafted into its midst:  by turning them into acceptable recruits or washing them out.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:43:29 pm »

Kick their rear end, throw them into the stockade, give them extra duty. No tools more complicated than a mop or shovel. That worked back in the day. Low life scum aren't always draftees either. Some draftees made excellent soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines. All they needed was a little positive reinforcement and direction.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:29 pm »
My sentiments exactly.  I was strongly opposed to a draft, but I think a few years in the military would benefit the younger generation immensely.

I always caught cold in drafty places.  :whistle:
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.