Author Topic: Reconsidering Mary  (Read 957 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Reconsidering Mary
« on: November 21, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »

Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Re: Reconsidering Mary
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
I have always been fascinated by Mary Todd and have read whatever I could find on her....truly a misunderstood tragic soul...

Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »
It's showing at Ultra Star Cinema here, I'm going to go see it Friday or Saturday. 

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
I saw the movie this past weekend.  Sally Field was just OK as Mary Todd...not bad but the part was not a great one...quite superficial actually about her and her demons.  The movie was Daniel Day Lewis's (Lincoln's) through and through.  Tommy Lee Jones had a bigger part than Sally Field's - though the Mary Todd part was at least largely faithful, whereas the Tommy Lee Jones part was mostly historical fiction (as far as I could tell).  There were some pieces of the Lincoln part that were obviously fiction as well (talking with young soldiers at the beginning and meeting with "the lobbyists" later in their ramshackle surroundings), for the most part I'd say that Lewis definitely captured the Lincoln of history and the writing was pretty good as movies go.

I think Lewis will be a major favorite for the Oscar...and it would not be undeserved.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »
I saw the movie this past weekend.  Sally Field was just OK as Mary Todd...not bad but the part was not a great one...quite superficial actually about her and her demons.  The movie was Daniel Day Lewis's (Lincoln's) through and through.  Tommy Lee Jones had a bigger part than Sally Field's - though the Mary Todd part was at least largely faithful, whereas the Tommy Lee Jones part was mostly historical fiction (as far as I could tell).  There were some pieces of the Lincoln part that were obviously fiction as well (talking with young soldiers at the beginning and meeting with "the lobbyists" later in their ramshackle surroundings), for the most part I'd say that Lewis definitely captured the Lincoln of history and the writing was pretty good as movies go.

I think Lewis will be a major favorite for the Oscar...and it would not be undeserved.

Thanks for the review I am anxious to see it......I thought I read that Tommy Lee stole the movie....true?

Support the USO

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
Sally Field plays Mary Todd Lincoln??  Now that's casting!!

:whistle:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »
Thanks for the review I am anxious to see it......I thought I read that Tommy Lee stole the movie....true?

Bil O'Reilly said he thinks Tommy Lee will definitely get an oscar for his role.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf