Author Topic: Spielberg’s Lincoln is a Grand Tribute to a Masterful Leader  (Read 2044 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Spielberg’s Lincoln is a Grand Tribute to a Masterful Leader
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:31:40 pm »
http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhanlon/2012/11/16/spielbergs_lincoln_is_a_grand_tribute_to_a_masterful_leader/print

Spielberg’s Lincoln is a Grand Tribute to a Masterful Leader
By John Hanlon
11/16/2012

Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln” is a different film than one would expect from the brilliant filmmaker responsible for unforgettable films like “Schindler’s List” and “Saving Private Ryan.” Unlike those two features, “Lincoln” takes place on a much smaller scale.

When its trailer arrived in theaters several months ago, many viewers undoubtedly believed that the film would attempt to tell Abraham Lincoln’s complete story, focusing on a young Illinois lawyer who became president and saved the Union from self-destruction. But this movie isn’t about that, nor is it simply a noble and simplistic tribute to the 16th President. The film is, instead, a well-told story about a good man who cajoled, manipulated and bravely fought to end slavery through the passage of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution. p>

Despite the fact that the North was winning the Civil War when the amendment was passionately debated in Congress a few months after Lincoln's reelection, its passage was far from assured. To pass it, the president and his team of former rivals would have to overcome naysayers, pacifists and Democrats alike who were willing to do whatever was necessary to prevent it from becoming law.

The film begins with a brief battle sequence that shows the noble president watching as soldiers prepare for engagement. In the midst of the fighting, young men- who may lose their lives in a matter of moments—look lovingly at the quiet figure who sits above them. Like fans approaching their idol, they quote back to Lincoln portions of the Gettysburg Address and stand in quiet wonder at a man who they recognize is forever changing the course of their country.

As the film continues, it focuses less on the battlefield of war and more on the political landscape where the fight to pass the amendment is taking place. Instead of the grim details of war, Spielberg puts the camera in the dark halls of Congress where threats, manipulations and lies are all used to get legislators to say yes.

As the inevitable victory of the North over the South approaches, some legislators and members of Lincoln’s administration- including Secretary of State and one-time political rival William Steward (David Strathairn)—argue fervently that ending the war quickly should be their highest priority. Ending slavery, they state, is a secondary concern. Others, including the powerful Congressman Thaddeus Stevens (Tommy Lee Jones) are more focused on punishing the South after the war than anything else.

Lincoln rejects both ideas. He rejects the idea that ending the war at the cost of enduring more years of slavery is necessary and he disputes the notion that punishing the South after the war has ended is a noble goal. He is a man who yearns for peace but who is unwilling to compromise his values to achieve it.

Throughout the movie, Lincoln is depicted as something we don’t often view him as: a politician. Like a great politician, he is able to tell a grand story to a group of people with each believing that the story was intended for them. But unlike many politicians, Lincoln was—at considerable risk to both his political fortunes and his legacy— willing to fight for an unpopular position simply because above everything else, he knew it was right.

Many will likely dislike how Spielberg has settled his story around something as seemingly simple as the passage of an amendment. But in deciding to tell the story on a small scale, the director has brought attention to Lincoln the man-- rather than Lincoln the legend-- and made this great leader into a relatable figure who achieved greatness by never backing down from the principle that all men should be free.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Spielberg’s Lincoln is a Grand Tribute to a Masterful Leader
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 04:41:01 am »
I saw Lincoln today.

I am still pondering the movie in my head.. for anyone who follows politics it's an absolute must-see movie IMO.  So many things.. like how on Gods Green Earth can anyone who is a Black American support the Democratic Party. Of course we all know Lincoln freed the slaves, etc., but surprisingly Spielberg did not try and sugar coat the Democrats absolute abhorance to the 13th amendment and freeing the slaves, making them free men and women....  Lincoln had to pull a whole lot of rabbits out of the hat to get the votes or abstentions he absolutely had to have to pass this by two votes (one being speaker of the house).  Two things that came to my mind:

1) doing the right thing never seems to benefit the Republican party and

2) the Republican party was as fractured between the Conservative GOP and the Liberal GOP as it is today.. the more things change, the more they stay the same... the Conservatives came very close to pulling the rug out from under Lincoln until Blair (of Blair House) gave them the nod to go ahead and vote for it.......

Lincoln is such a huge subject to cover I think it was good Spielberg chose to concentrate on this one small area of his terms in office.    Daniel Day Lewis really did make you think he was Lincoln.. excellent job in that reagard. Tommy Lee Jones was excellent, but I think DDL was the best. A lot of big names too roles in this movie.  Sally Field was excellent as Mary.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:01:36 am »
Spielberg really did reel back his current politics and play this really close to history.  Why are blacks Democrats?  Easy, they know as little about history as all the other people in this country, and as few of them are critical thinkers as in the rest of sad population.  And the Democrats give them free stuff and let them live lazy lives on the street.  Republicans really do get hammered for doing the right thing...makes you think the devil is hard at work.

The movie really is Daniel Day Lewis.  He was definitive as Lincoln. Tommy Lee Jones was good, but there was plenty of historical fiction in his part...a lot of winks and nods just for the movie in his part.  I thought Sally Field was rather pedestrian as Mary Todd...but some of that was perhaps in the editing, making her part mundane with only one definitive scene.  The actor who played Grant did very well in quite a small part - he was memorable.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:02:34 am by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:31:09 am »
Spielberg really did reel back his current politics and play this really close to history.  Why are blacks Democrats?  Easy, they know as little about history as all the other people in this country, and as few of them are critical thinkers as in the rest of sad population.  And the Democrats give them free stuff and let them live lazy lives on the street.  Republicans really do get hammered for doing the right thing...makes you think the devil is hard at work.

The movie really is Daniel Day Lewis.  He was definitive as Lincoln. Tommy Lee Jones was good, but there was plenty of historical fiction in his part...a lot of winks and nods just for the movie in his part.  I thought Sally Field was rather pedestrian as Mary Todd...but some of that was perhaps in the editing, making her part mundane with only one definitive scene.  The actor who played Grant did very well in quite a small part - he was memorable.

A person who was on a mind to do so could actually do a full movie on Stevens which would in and of itself be a good lesson in the history and politics of the era.  I wonder had Lincoln lived how different Reconstruction might have gone. Johnson was no fan of much that Lincoln stood for, I don't totally understand the reasoning for choosing him for VP other than to try and garner support from the Democrats at the time.  In the end I think Lincoln managed to finagle the Democrats where he wanted them just fine without Johnson's help.  One that that was clear to me, as much as some grouse here about those terrible conservatives in the GOP, there has been an unsteady alliance between the two factions of the GOP clear back to it's founding days... what is happening is not out of the ordinary for our party.

Another thing... a good writer could take the historical knowlege of Mary Todd Lincoln and do a movie just based on the info in the article Myst posted the other day, she was a much more complex woman than she is generally portrayed (as crazy)..... 

In the end it is nice to see some decent movies being made for a change.  I hope we see more of this. -- oh and saw the previews for Dark Thirty (killing of Bin Laden)....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:34:38 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Allegra

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 06:36:25 am »
Thanks for the great observations, Rap and Scott.  I'm going to see it Friday and I'm looking forward to it even more after reading your comments.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 07:17:40 am »
Thanks for the great observations, Rap and Scott.  I'm going to see it Friday and I'm looking forward to it even more after reading your comments.

I can't wait to read your observations once you have seen the movie.  I am just struck by how little American politics have truly changed... parts of what Lincoln did to get this passed reminded me of how Bush twisted and twisted arms to pass Medicare Part D -- remember the calls he made and suddenly votes changed.. think about that when you view Lincoln...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 08:47:54 am »

Spielberg is a storyteller. No matter what his personal opinions are on any subject, the story always comes first for him. It is what makes him such a brilliant director.

Lincoln won't be released here until Jan 25th, which is annoying (we are nearly always a couple of months behind you) but from what I have read so far, it'll definitely be one of our infrequent trips to the cinema.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 12:32:25 am »
http://www.humanevents.com/2012/11/23/lincoln-a-cautionary-tale-that-tries-to-be-important/

Lincoln: A cautionary tale that tries to be important   

By: Jo Ann Skousen   
11/23/2012 07:27 AM

Abraham Lincoln is one of the most complex presidents in American history. For over a century he was revered as our most important president, after George Washington, but recently his star has been tarnished by questions about his motives and tactics. Was Lincoln a forward-thinking civil rights advocate who restored a nation to wholeness, or was he merely a politician playing the race card to win the war and create a whole new constituency of former slaves?

Steven Spielberg’s ambitious Lincoln tries to answer some of these questions. It is based on Doris Kearns Goodwin’s Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (2005), a book that focuses on Lincoln’s conciliatory spirit and determination to work with cabinet members he selected from among those who had opposed him in the 1860 election.  This forgiving nature is what I admire most about Lincoln.  His beatific “When I make them my friends, am I not destroying my enemies?”, said in response to those who wanted to continue punishing the South after the war had ended, is a quotation that guides my life.

The film, however, focuses less on conciliation than on politics as-would-become-usual. Lincoln (Daniel Day Lewis) works relentlessly to shepherd (some would say “push”) the thirteenth amendment through Congress in the waning days of the Civil War.  Support for this amendment to outlaw slavery was divided along party lines; Republicans favored it, but did not have enough votes to pass it, and Democrats were against it.  This probably comes as a surprise to most, because Democrats today love to accuse Republicans of racism. Nevertheless, it is true that Obama’s favorite president was a Republican, and it was the Republicans in Congress who supported the thirteenth amendment, enfranchised the slaves, and squelched states’ rights, while Democrats remained firmly on the other side of the aisle.

Although many Americans were ready to end the buying and selling of slaves, few were ready for full enfranchisement.  “What would happen if four million colored men are granted the vote?” one cabinet member asks rhetorically. “What would be next? Votes for women?” But Lincoln knew that his war-weary citizenry would do anything for a truce, even grant equal rights to African Americans, so he convinces them that ratifying the amendment would force the South into surrendering.

Lincoln does a good job of articulating why the Emancipation Proclamation was only a stopgap wartime measure.  Ironically, slaves were freed under a law identifying them as “property seized during war.”  Thus the Emancipation Proclamation did not actually end slavery; in fact, it had to acknowledge the property status of slaves in order to claim them. He further explains that, since rebels residing inside the southern states were at war, not the states themselves, after the war ended state laws would still be in force. A constitutional amendment would be necessary to end slavery for good.  Since southern voters would be unlikely to ratify such an amendment, passing it and ratifying it before the war ended was essential.

This seems an unlikely supposition, considering the fact that if the south surrendered under a negotiated peace, Union legislators would determine under what conditions southerners would be repatriated. Nevertheless, this idea dominates the entire film and creates the urgency to hurry up and pass the bill before the south surrenders. At one point Secretary Seward (David Strathairn) tells Lincoln, “You can have either the amendment or a Confederate peace. You cannot have both.”

Lincoln is so determined to see this amendment pass before the war ends that he resorts to corruption and deception. First, he enlists a group of unscrupulous patronage peddlers to promise political jobs and appointments to lame-duck Democrats if they will promise to vote for the amendment. They add piles of cash to sweeten the deals, and the votes start piling up too. The group is headed by a bilko artist with the unlikely name of “Bilbo” (James Spader). All of their scenes are accompanied by comical music to make us laugh at their outrageously funny and effective techniques. Aren’t they clever as they connive to buy votes?

He also uses corrupt practices to gain support for the bill from the electorate. In one scene, a Missouri farm couple comes to Lincoln’s office seeking his help over a property dispute. Without even looking at their complaint, he suggests that he will find in their favor if they will visit their Democrat congressman and urge him to vote in favor of the amendment.  These strong-arm tactics are presented as good politics.

In addition to buying votes for his amendment, Lincoln also resorts to outright lying. When Jefferson Davis sends emissaries to discuss a negotiated peace while the amendment is coming to a vote, Lincoln knows that some of his “negotiated support” is likely to change, and the amendment is likely to fail. Consequently, he sends a letter denying any knowledge of the peace delegation from Richmond, even though this is clearly a lie. He sends this note with a flourish and a chuckle–and the audience in my theater cheered. I was disheartened that they didn’t feel the same shame I felt when I saw a president of the United States deliberately lie to get his way. But I wasn’t surprised. It’s what we expect today.

In case you haven’t noticed this yourself, I will spell it out: the tactics for pushing the thirteenth amendment as shown in Spielberg’s Lincoln are almost identical to the tactics used by Obama to pass his healthcare bill. Each was sponsoring a highly controversial bill with far-reaching consequences; each had a Congress divided along party lines; each used high pressure arm-twisting, political patronage, and outright lies to accomplish his goals; and each met vociferous opposition after the bill was passed. Why?  Because they both chose expediency over integrity.  Persuasion and education were needed, not force and deception. When expediency rules, tyranny reigns.

What I have written here makes the film seem much more interesting than it actually is. My thoughts about writing this review kept me engaged; you probably won’t have that advantage. Daniel Day Lewis creates a masterfully crafted Lincoln and deserves all the accolades he is gathering for the title role. But it is not a very engaging movie. Playwright Tony Kushner, who wrote the script, is more comfortable writing for the stage, and it shows. The pacing is ponderously slow, and the script, though elegant, is dialogue heavy. In short, the film is all talk and no action. That’s okay for a 90-minute stage play, but not for a three-hour film on a gigantic screen. I’m also skeptical about Kushner’s accuracy, based on the biases that appear in his other works.

There is also surprisingly little dramatic conflict for a film that takes place during the height of the costliest war in our history. We see the effects of war in the form of dead and mutilated soldiers in a couple of scenes, but we never see examples or effects of slavery; in fact, all the black characters in this film are well dressed and well spoken, and except for the soldiers, they sit and socialize with the whites. If a viewer didn’t already know the history of slavery in America, he would have to wonder, what’s the complaint?  On either side?  Moreover, the “bad guys” are being invaded by a super power, while the “good guys” are lying and buying votes.  So how does that fit our usual expectation of heroes and villains?

I’m also offended by the deliberate race-baiting in this film, and indeed in several films and Broadway shows I have seen in the past couple of years. Why is it okay to add “for a white person” (followed by self-deprecating chuckles and head-nodding from the audience) when describing someone’s physical appearance or personal attributes? I thought we gave up saying “for a [colored] person” long ago. Haven’t we finally come to a place where we can just stop noticing race and gender? Why do pollsters and educators continue to divide people by ethnicity?  It’s time to just burn that race card and bury it. Economics and education are at the root of inequity today, not race.

Lincoln tries to be an important film, and in one respect it is–as a cautionary tale for today. But it falls short–even though it’s way too long.

Lincoln, directed by Steven Spielberg. DreamWorks Pictures, 2012, 149 minutes.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 04:31:36 pm »
Lincoln
By James Bowman on 11.29.12 @ 6:05AM
The American Spectator

Persuasive and eminently watchable -- even if self-serving.

The first thing to be said about Steven Spielberg's Lincoln is what a brave idea it represents. It is that rarest of cinematic creatures, a movie about political processes (as opposed to political generalities and fine-sounding aspirations) which somehow manages to avoid the otherwise certain danger of boring its audience to death. The movie could have been made to remind us of Enoch Powell's dictum that "All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs." This is about the "happy juncture" Lincoln had arrived at before his sad end -- which takes place off screen -- and so ends up as a movie about another most rare thing, political success.

Yet all of Mr. Spielberg's considerable powers as a showman, all of the claustrophobic interiors of his brilliant d.p., Janusz Kaminski, all of the facility with clever dialogue of his screen-writer, Tony Kushner, and all of the acting talent of Daniel Day-Lewis in the title role, may have been necessary to keep us from getting bogged down in back room horse-trading and deal-making involved in the passage of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, which outlawed slavery forever. The main thing is that they succeeded, though the result is curious and worthy more than it is noble and soaring in the manner now traditional for Hollywood representations of the 16th president. It also manages to produce a genuine emotional kick as well as a subtle apologia for the Obama presidency. We shall return to that presently.

Of the top talents involved, the most important is that of Mr. Day-Lewis, who makes his Lincoln completely believable without diminishing the mystique which has always made his character's story such a favorite with the movies. I am rather a skeptic about the "method" acting that he seems to go in for, but it has certainly paid off in this case. Even the convoluted legal explanation of why Lincoln needs to pass the Amendment during the lame-duck session with Democratic support when he would find the task far easier if he waited for a more sympathetic Republican Congress two months hence briefly makes sense, coming from his mouth. Both the unaffected folksiness of his laughter and story-telling and the irritation it must have caused in many even of his political allies ring true. At one point Bruce McGill as Secretary of War Edwin Stanton interrupts the boss by saying, with palpable exasperation: "No, you're not going to tell a story. I can't bear to hear one." The President falls into an easy, masculine camaraderie with his "Team of Rivals" (to cite the title of Doris Kearns Goodwin's book on which the screenplay was partially based), but we also find it easy to believe in his underlying loneliness and his deep sadness.

Sally Fields as Mary Todd Lincoln also does a fine job in making her character come alive, though her most important function is to suggest a particular and personal reason for that sadness: the death of their young son Willie, probably from typhoid fever, three years earlier and the marital strife which ensued from (among other things) her accusation that Lincoln's grief for their child had been given insufficient expression. A thunderous quarrel between them on this subject is counterpointed and contrasted with a scene of domestic tranquility and affection as the two of them ride out together in the springtime and an open carriage, like a young couple courting, as an expression of joy and relief at the end of the war. Young Gulliver McGrath also helps to bring out the domestic Lincoln as Tad, Willie's brother who survived his illness (though not, as it turned out, for long). But Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the Lincolns' oldest son, Robert, who drops out of Harvard to take up a commission in the army in defiance of his parents' wishes, is rather a distraction, in spite of his unfashionable plea on behalf of honor.

It appears to have been Mr. Spielberg's decision to narrow the film's focus from the epic scale suggested by the Civil War, which mostly takes place off-screen, to the more parochial-seeming struggle over Congressional passage of the 13th Amendment in January of 1865, when the outcome of the war was no longer in doubt. He has been helped to find the drama in the story by the bravura performance of Tommy Lee Jones as the "Radical Republican" leader in Congress, Thaddeus Stevens, whose egalitarian views really were radical for their time. When, in order to pass the Amendment, Stevens is required to repeat before the House, as if by rote, "I don't hold with equality in all things, only equality before the law and nothing more," the lie comes off as a noble one, as it is meant to do -- the shining and redeeming example of under-handedness on the part of the forces of right and goodness by whose light a great many more, and more doubtful ones, are meant to be excused as essentially the same as the now-traditional Fabian tactics of today's "progressive" tendency.

A trio of dubious characters played as comic grotesques by James Spader, Tim Blake Nelson, and John Hawkes are responsible for most of the outright corruption we see, as they are licensed by Lincoln's right hand man, David Strathairn's William Seward, and later by Lincoln himself to offer patronage jobs in return for votes. But Lincoln himself is also guilty of duplicity and double-dealing, making promises he knows he can't or won't keep and palming off one of his supporters, Hal Holbrook's Preston Blair, with a secret mission he has no intention of allowing to succeed. The price of Blair's support is an agreement to negotiate peace with the South, and so he is sent to Richmond to retrieve representatives of the collapsing Confederate government, including Vice-President Alexander Stephens (Jackie Earle Haley). But Lincoln arranges it so that the Southern ambassadors do not reach him in time to make any sort of deal, short of unconditional surrender, while lying to his own party by denying the rumors of the envoys' mission or even their existence as such, since confirmation of the rumors would also scupper the Amendment.

And this is where we return to the film's relevance to today's politics. Thaddeus Stevens is given the task of pronouncing the movie's exquisite distillation: "The greatest measure of the 19th century," he says, "was passed by corruption, aided and abetted by the purest man in America." Does that sound like any Presidents we know? Or at least like the language used by that President's most fanatical and slavish admirers? For of course the unmistakable but unspoken corollary is: "… and that's OK." The end, because it was so transcendently the right thing to do, and because it was done from the purest of motives, must be supposed to justify almost any means. All manner of corruption, skullduggery and abuse of power are to be excused if their object is noble enough. I wonder if that is a message that Hollywood would have been quite so willing to promote four or five years ago, when George W. Bush was President?

At a crucial moment in the vote hunting, Lincoln turns imperious: "I am the President of the United States of America, clothed in immense power, and you will procure me these votes!" he says to his underlings. And they do! More than one commentator has seen these words as a message from the left to President Obama, who is seen as not being firm enough with today's Republican rascals in Congress, now transmogrified into the reactionary equivalent of the apologists for slavery in their view. David Denby of The New Yorker puts it like this:
The movie is, among other things, a message to the President: it is not enough to make fine and noble speeches. In democratic politics, you have to get tough and dirty. You have to use patronage, personal persuasion, threats, whatever is at your command. Lincoln made it possible for you to be President, and now -- in order to get policies, which you know are just, through the Congress -- you have to imitate the crafty and manipulative things he did. End of message.
Without applauding the policy, I acknowledge that some such message may indeed have been in the back of such minds as those belonging to the very progressive Messrs. Spielberg and Kushner. But I also think of the following passage, taken from The Guardian, by another left-wing critic of the President, Glenn Greenwald, who believes that his conviction of his own all-justifying rectitude is too great, not too little:
Political leaders and political movements convinced of their own Goodness are usually those who need greater, not fewer, constraints in the exercise of power. That's because -- like religious True Believers -- those who are convinced of their inherent moral superiority can find all manner to justify even the most corrupted acts on the ground that they are justified by the noble ends to which they are put, or are cleansed by the nobility of those perpetrating those acts. Political factions driven by self-flattering convictions of their own moral superiority -- along with their leaders -- are the ones most likely to abuse power.

Mr. Greenwald, whose particular beef with the administration has to do with its indiscriminate use of drone strikes to kill anyone the President thinks might have the remotest connection to Islamicist terrorism, thinks that the same moral arrogance was to be found at the heart of the George W. Bush administration. Then his fellow lefties thought it a very bad thing; now, as it comes from the Obama -- or the Lincoln -- administration, it is a very good thing. He objects, very honorably, to the hypocrisy. But maybe such moral certainty is neither bad nor good so much as it is a measure of the extent to which all politics today has been reduced, rhetorically at any rate, to a quasi-mythical struggle between good and evil. That is what seems a very bad thing to me.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org