Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« on: November 16, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »

Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
I saw Lincoln today.

I am still pondering the movie in my head.. for anyone who follows politics it's an absolute must-see movie IMO.  So many things.. like how on Gods Green Earth can anyone who is a Black American support the Democratic Party. Of course we all know Lincoln freed the slaves, etc., but surprisingly Spielberg did not try and sugar coat the Democrats absolute abhorance to the 13th amendment and freeing the slaves, making them free men and women....  Lincoln had to pull a whole lot of rabbits out of the hat to get the votes or abstentions he absolutely had to have to pass this by two votes (one being speaker of the house).  Two things that came to my mind:

1) doing the right thing never seems to benefit the Republican party and

2) the Republican party was as fractured between the Conservative GOP and the Liberal GOP as it is today.. the more things change, the more they stay the same... the Conservatives came very close to pulling the rug out from under Lincoln until Blair (of Blair House) gave them the nod to go ahead and vote for it.......

Lincoln is such a huge subject to cover I think it was good Spielberg chose to concentrate on this one small area of his terms in office.    Daniel Day Lewis really did make you think he was Lincoln.. excellent job in that reagard. Tommy Lee Jones was excellent, but I think DDL was the best. A lot of big names too roles in this movie.  Sally Field was excellent as Mary.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 01:01:36 AM »
Spielberg really did reel back his current politics and play this really close to history.  Why are blacks Democrats?  Easy, they know as little about history as all the other people in this country, and as few of them are critical thinkers as in the rest of sad population.  And the Democrats give them free stuff and let them live lazy lives on the street.  Republicans really do get hammered for doing the right thing...makes you think the devil is hard at work.

The movie really is Daniel Day Lewis.  He was definitive as Lincoln. Tommy Lee Jones was good, but there was plenty of historical fiction in his part...a lot of winks and nods just for the movie in his part.  I thought Sally Field was rather pedestrian as Mary Todd...but some of that was perhaps in the editing, making her part mundane with only one definitive scene.  The actor who played Grant did very well in quite a small part - he was memorable.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:02:34 AM by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:31:09 AM »
Spielberg really did reel back his current politics and play this really close to history.  Why are blacks Democrats?  Easy, they know as little about history as all the other people in this country, and as few of them are critical thinkers as in the rest of sad population.  And the Democrats give them free stuff and let them live lazy lives on the street.  Republicans really do get hammered for doing the right thing...makes you think the devil is hard at work.

The movie really is Daniel Day Lewis.  He was definitive as Lincoln. Tommy Lee Jones was good, but there was plenty of historical fiction in his part...a lot of winks and nods just for the movie in his part.  I thought Sally Field was rather pedestrian as Mary Todd...but some of that was perhaps in the editing, making her part mundane with only one definitive scene.  The actor who played Grant did very well in quite a small part - he was memorable.

A person who was on a mind to do so could actually do a full movie on Stevens which would in and of itself be a good lesson in the history and politics of the era.  I wonder had Lincoln lived how different Reconstruction might have gone. Johnson was no fan of much that Lincoln stood for, I don't totally understand the reasoning for choosing him for VP other than to try and garner support from the Democrats at the time.  In the end I think Lincoln managed to finagle the Democrats where he wanted them just fine without Johnson's help.  One that that was clear to me, as much as some grouse here about those terrible conservatives in the GOP, there has been an unsteady alliance between the two factions of the GOP clear back to it's founding days... what is happening is not out of the ordinary for our party.

Another thing... a good writer could take the historical knowlege of Mary Todd Lincoln and do a movie just based on the info in the article Myst posted the other day, she was a much more complex woman than she is generally portrayed (as crazy)..... 

In the end it is nice to see some decent movies being made for a change.  I hope we see more of this. -- oh and saw the previews for Dark Thirty (killing of Bin Laden)....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:34:38 AM by Rapunzel »

Offline Allegra

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:36:25 AM »
Thanks for the great observations, Rap and Scott.  I'm going to see it Friday and I'm looking forward to it even more after reading your comments.
Don not wait to. There was not the shadow of the wall and another shade of eye gaze, we don not go Nvragr not find the light went shadow Nnvr.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:17:40 AM »
Thanks for the great observations, Rap and Scott.  I'm going to see it Friday and I'm looking forward to it even more after reading your comments.

I can't wait to read your observations once you have seen the movie.  I am just struck by how little American politics have truly changed... parts of what Lincoln did to get this passed reminded me of how Bush twisted and twisted arms to pass Medicare Part D -- remember the calls he made and suddenly votes changed.. think about that when you view Lincoln...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 03:47:54 AM »

Spielberg is a storyteller. No matter what his personal opinions are on any subject, the story always comes first for him. It is what makes him such a brilliant director.

Lincoln won't be released here until Jan 25th, which is annoying (we are nearly always a couple of months behind you) but from what I have read so far, it'll definitely be one of our infrequent trips to the cinema.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 07:32:25 PM »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf