Author Topic: Antibiotics & Home Remedies  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Antibiotics & Home Remedies
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »
I have read on prepper web sites that people  are buying FISHMOX type antibiotics online and they are the real thing obtained without an Rx. In stressful times of mayham antibiotics will be hard to come by unless you have a doctor in the house. Does anybody know if the FISHMOX type antibiotics are real? It is also wise to have some eardrops with antibiotics around.

Walgreens started carrying a good selection of probiotics. I also saw a multivitamin probiotic combo for women and men in Lowes food store.

Natural creams for menopause are good to stock up on. Both the estrogen and progesterone.

Candida Freedom brand-herbal all natural remedy works great for women that have yeast infections or thrush from too much antibiotics. Sometimes you can be sick and no doctor will tell you you have been overcome with candida.

Making a paste with baking soda helps any itch or bee/ant bite.

Aloe Vera has so many uses. But it is superb for any burn.

Maybe if we all add our home remedies we can get most common things covered.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Antibiotics & Home Remedies
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »
Some home remedies I like:
  • Honey is naturally antibacterial, soothing and promotes healing.  I use it in hot tea with lemon - or just a spoonful of honey for a sore throat.  I put honey on wounds & it makes a great facial. 
  • If you get a bee-sting or painful bug bite, rub a wet aspirin over the sting - it will feel better.
  • For poison ivy, skin irritations, slight burns and hives/itching - I LOVE oatmeal!  I microwave oats in enough water to make a paste (don't heat it too high or too long - it boils over easily) & then, when it cools enough to not burn you, transfer the cooked oats to the center of a clean handkerchief & pull the corners of the hanky up to twist the oatmeal into a ball shape inside the hanky.  Then I squeeze the ball until a thick, gummy liquid comes out.  This is what I put on the affected area of my skin & it is immediate relief. 
  • Heartburn - pour a small amount of salt in your palm & lick it.  Don't ask me how that works, but it does.
    A swig of vinegar works too.  You would think it would make it worse, but it doesn't.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
Great remedies Alice! Thanks!

Re:Honey, it is said if you eat local honey it can alleviate allergies. As somehow the local honey builds your histamines.

An old wives tale I learned and tried when my kids were small in treating bronchitis/croup. Is good ole vicks vapo rub, on the chest and neck and back; as well as rub it on the bottom of the feet and put a pair of old socks on. It sounds odd but it works.

For croup, bring the baby in the bathroom close the door put a towel under the door turn on the shower to steam the place and it calms croup.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 07:56:55 PM »
Great remedies Alice! Thanks!

Re:Honey, it is said if you eat local honey it can alleviate allergies. As somehow the local honey builds your histamines.

An old wives tale I learned and tried when my kids were small in treating bronchitis/croup. Is good ole vicks vapo rub, on the chest and neck and back; as well as rub it on the bottom of the feet and put a pair of old socks on. It sounds odd but it works.

For croup, bring the baby in the bathroom close the door put a towel under the door turn on the shower to steam the place and it calms croup.

I've heard that too, about local honey helping allergies.  One thing I forgot to mention before - babies under the age of 1 year should not be given honey. 

I read the other day about putting Vicks Vapo Rub on the bottom of your feet.  That's interesting. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I have a health food and medicinal store near me and a lot of the things work. The chinese are the experts in remedies. They are all skinny and have beautiful complexions lol. Also ginger is a cure for stomachache. Hence gingerale. But pure ginger has many cures.

Tiger Balm (Chinese) is used for headaches and joint pain.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »
A little history to back Alice up...

When Henry VI (We few, we merry few, we band of brothers...) was just the Prince of Wales, his father (Henry V) sent the Prince off with an army to Wales to put down those rebellious Welshmen who had little use for Henry or his laws.  Young Henry did very well in the battle, but at one point he took a pause, and while still seated on his horse removed his helmet to take a drink, and was promptly shot in the face with an arrow.

At that time, arrows were made by hand and were intended to pierce armor, so they had a long straight pointed iron head with a heavy oak shaft.  The arrow hit Henry in the cheek and buried itself into his sinuses.  They treated him on the field and he returned to the battle, but afterwards he needed intense treatment for the wound in his face.

The doctors packed Henry's wound with strips of linen soaked in boiled vinegar and honey, which enabled the wound to heal from the outside in and over a period of time eventually heal the enormous cavity the wound had left in Henry's face.  There are no portraits of Henry VI face on because of the scar he was left with, but the combination of sterile boiled vinegar and honey with its natural antibiotic nature are what healed Henry and let him live to fight again another day, at Agincourt.....

Honey and white vinegar.  Both have a place, in volume, in your emergency stores and for more than one purpose.....

Offline Emma

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »
Manuka honey is the best, there is even evidence that it is effective against MRSA

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »
Apple cider vinegar and honey is great.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
Manuka honey is the best, there is even evidence that it is effective against MRSA

Where do you get manuka honey? Can I find it in health food store?

Offline Magic Fingers

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
Where do you get manuka honey? Can I find it in health food store?

I have found it at Whole Foods and on line.

Offline Emma

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 08:47:30 PM »
Amazon has it too - it's not cheap. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:50:22 PM by Emma »

Offline Breezy Tamzee

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »
In a pinch, superglue can be used to seal off an open wound from bacteria and stop the bleeding.  It was actually used in field study in Vietnam for this but they tweaked the formula somewhat differently to use in modern medicine now.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2187/was-super-glue-invented-to-seal-battle-wounds-in-vietnam

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 03:53:55 AM »
The humble dandelion. The leaves are tasty and packed with vitamins, but the root .....

Make the root into a tea and it is good for liver and kidney function, soothing and healing burns (including sunburn) and scrapes, indigestion and to kick up your immune system a notch or two. Not bad for a weed!

One superb resource for herbals and medical diagnostics (though mainly USA focused) is the University of Maryland Medical Center (http://www.umm.edu/altmed/).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 07:04:51 AM »
One of the most handy things to have around the house is EDTA.  It eats up calcium in your system.  Usually, you want calcium, but not when it turns into kidney stones.  When you have a kidney stone, dissolve EDTA in warm water and drink it three times a day.  Usually, the EDTA will take care of the stone before it passes.  My wife has occasional kidney stones and swears by this remedy.

Another use for EDTA is EDTA chelation (Google it).  It's using EDTA to clean out your clogged arteries.  Conventional doctors don't like it much but there is a large cult of people on the Internet who swear by it.  If you are concerned about heart disease, then you can read up on it and decide for yourself.  EDTA does not have any significant side effects, so it can't hurt.
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »
The humble dandelion. The leaves are tasty and packed with vitamins, but the root .....

Make the root into a tea and it is good for liver and kidney function, soothing and healing burns (including sunburn) and scrapes, indigestion and to kick up your immune system a notch or two. Not bad for a weed!

One superb resource for herbals and medical diagnostics (though mainly USA focused) is the University of Maryland Medical Center (http://www.umm.edu/altmed/).

I have heard this but I am allergic to ragweed and have always thought that was a form of or dandelion. So if I am allergic I can't use it I suppose. :(

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 10:22:04 AM »
I did quick research on the FISHMOX antibiotics online, they are good. As any vet tech will tell you the antibiotics for animals are far cheaper and the same as humans antibiotics.

Offline Emma

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »
I did quick research on the FISHMOX antibiotics online, they are good. As any vet tech will tell you the antibiotics for animals are far cheaper and the same as humans antibiotics.

They make a lot of different antibiotics in fish form too - like FISH-ZOLE (flagyl) etc.

Out of curiosity - I bought some fish meds years back.  I checked the numbers on the pills and they were produced in the same lab that makes the human version.  If you're going to stock meds as a SHTF item, you may want to purchase a Physicans Desk Reference (or download a fact sheet, dosage, etc) and print off to have on hand.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:46:23 AM by Emma »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Dork
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »
Plain old bleach.  From the wikipedia article on bleach:
Sodium hypochlorite solution, 3-6%, (common household bleach) must be diluted to be used safely when disinfecting surfaces and when used to treat drinking water.  When disinfecting most surfaces, 1 part liquid household bleach to 100 parts water is sufficient for sanitizing.  Stronger or weaker solutions may be more appropriate to meet specific goals, such as killing resistant viruses or sanitizing surfaces that will not be in contact with food.  See references for more information.

In an emergency, drinking water should be treated by boiling for 1–3 minutes, longer at higher altitudes.  If boiling is not possible, water can be chemically treated with a ratio of 2 drops of plain liquid household bleach (5-6% sodium hypochlorite solution) per liter of water or 8 drops of bleach per gallon (3.79L) of water; 1/2 teaspoon bleach per five gallons (19L) of water.  Do not use powdered bleach, or bleach with scents, cleaners or other additives.  Do not collect water for treatment from flood waters or other potentially contaminated sources.  If water appears dirty or cloudy, let it settle and/or filter the water before adding the bleach.  Let treated water stand covered for 30 minutes.  If water is still cloudy after filtering, double the amount of bleach used.  If the water is very cold, either warm it before treatment or double the treatment time.  Treated water should still have a slight bleach odor after treatment.  If it does not, repeat the treatment.  If no bleach odor is evident after a second treatment, discard the water and find a better water source.  Inappropriate dilutions of bleach can endanger your health.

About bleaches, the article has this to say about how the most common form - household bleach, aka sodium hypochlorite - is made:
Sodium hypochlorite is the most commonly encountered bleaching agent, usually as a dilute (3-6%) solution in water.  This solution of sodium hypochlorite, commonly referred to as simply "bleach", was also one of the first mass-produced bleaches.  It is produced by passing chlorine gas through a dilute sodium hydroxide solution

Cl2 (g) + 2 NaOH (aq) → NaCl (aq) + NaClO (aq) + H2O (l)

or by electrolysis of brine (sodium chloride in water).

2 Cl− → Cl2 + 2 -e
    Cl2 + H2O ↔ HClO + Cl− + H+

The dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite is used in many households to whiten laundry, disinfect hard surfaces in kitchens and bathrooms, treat water for drinking and keep swimming pools free of infectious agents.

Moreover, due to transport and handling safety concerns, the use of sodium hypochlorite is preferred than chlorine gas in water treatment, which represents a significant market expansion potential.

(I put in bold the mention of how to produce common bleach from brine because it's unlikely that anyone in the aftermath of a disaster is going to be able to pass chlorine gas through a dilute sodium hydroxide solution).

You can also make chlorine bleach from calcium hypochlorite, which is sold in solid form at pool stores, as discussed in this article from tacticalintelligence.net:  http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/how-to-make-chlorine.htm

N.B., after reading the article from tacticalintelligence, it probably makes the best sense to go that route, using calcium hypochlorite.  Here's the basic recipe (it's all over the place, so this isn't someone's private copyright):
One of the main components that you’ll want to have around the house (or apartment) during a SHTF situation is chlorine bleach. Not only can it be used for cleaning water (although boiling is hands down more effective and healthier) it is excellent for keeping things sanitary.

Unfortunately, the average shelf life of liquid bleach (being stored between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit) is around 6 months. After that, bleach will lose 20% of it’s strength at around the year mark and then 20% each year after that. So if you’re not vigilant about keeping it rotated, chances are when you need it for disinfecting water or to keep things clean you’ll be fresh out of bleach and luck.

There is a better option. What if you could make your own fresh chlorine bleach that could be used for both keeping things sanitary and will disinfect water? Here’s how:
How to Make Chlorine Bleach

Before we go into how to make it, I just wanted to point out the differences between this homemade chlorine bleach and your standard household Chlorox variety.

First off, liquid chlorine bleach is a solution made from mostly water and 3-6% Sodium Hypochlorite. This homemade variety is made from Calcium Hypochlorite which you can easily find as “pool shock” at your pool-supplier store or Walmart. Both are used throughout the world for water purification and are the main chemicals in standard household cleaning products.
The Benefit of Calcium Hypochlorite

The major benefit of using Calcium Hypochlorite over Sodium Hypochlorite is shelf life. Calcium Hypochlorite (pool shock) is sold in a solid granular form and has a 10 year shelf life when stored in a cool, dark place. This will easily meet your long-term storage needs.

The other benefit is the amount of available chlorine. The concentration of chlorine is much higher with Calcium Hypochlorite. For example, a small 1-pound bag of calcium hypochlorite can disinfect up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water. That’s around 5 gallons/day for one person for 5 1/2 years! Not bad for only 1 lb of granules.
Making Chlorine Bleach

To make a chlorine bleach solution using calcium hypochlorite, here are some formulas I got from the Army Technical Bulletin entitled, “SANITARY CONTROL AND SURVEILLANCE OF FIELD WATER SUPPLIES” (TB MED 577).

From the Army manual, to make a concentrated chlorine solution that you can use for disinfecting water (or to be used in maintaining a clean and sanitary living environment), you’ll want to use calcium hypochlorite that has around 70% available chlorine.

If you’re buying pool shock, on the back of the bag it will tell you what percentage of chlorine is available. The one I use is called “Zappit 73 Pool Shock, it is pure calcium hyphochlorite that contains up to 73% available chlorine and sells for around $5 for a 1lb bag.

To make the homemade chlorine bleach solution, you’ll need to do the following:

Mix 2 level Tablespoons of Calcium Hypochlorite to 3 cups of water.

After you’ve made your stock of chlorine solution, you’ll want to follow the formula from the Army Technical Bulletin in determining how much of the above stock chlorine solution you’ll need for your desired number of gallons of water to be disinfected. *Note: I’ve updated the formula to calculate the same concentration that household bleach has. If you have questions, fire me an email and I’ll be more than happy to explain the math.

mL of stock chlorine required = (desired concentration (mg/L)*number of gallons to be treated)/18.12

The desired concentration refers to how much chlorine in mg/L you want the disinfected water to have. A recommended amount is 7 mg/L of concentration. This equates to adding 8 drops of household liquid bleach to 1 gallon of water (the recommended amount when disinfecting water with household bleach).

Given these amounts, if you wanted to disinfect 1 gallon of water with the homemade chlorine solution, the formula would be as follows:
(7*1)/18.12

This equates to .38mL or 8 drops of the concentrated solution per gallon of water. Just like normal household bleach!

So the 3 step process is as follows:

Place 8 drops of homemade chlorine bleach in 1 gallon of water
    Let stand for 30 min
    If water is still cloudy, repeat steps until clear; otherwise it is ready to drink

Keep in mind, that once the homemade chlorine bleach is made it will follow the same shelf-life limitations as standard household liquid bleach. So be sure to only make amounts you will be using within that time frame.

Sounds like a bag of "pool shock" - provided it's just plain calcium hypochlorite and doesn't contain any additives, like algacides - should be an addition to anyone's stockpile.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
"pool shock" good idea.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 08:36:58 AM »
Be careful storing that stuff. All hypochlorites are hygroscopic and need to be kept tightly sealed in storage. The flimsy plastic bag isn't enough. Sodium hypochlorite is one of the few things I store in glass (get mine from a friend who orders chemicals for the school I used to teach at)

Also lay in a supply of iodine, either the tincture or in tablet form. It is a wonderful disinfectant, never goes off unless it gets overheated and the taste of iodine in water is a lot more pleasant than chlorine.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:38:51 AM by EC »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Dork
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »
Be careful storing that stuff. All hypochlorites are hygroscopic and need to be kept tightly sealed in storage. The flimsy plastic bag isn't enough. Sodium hypochlorite is one of the few things I store in glass (get mine from a friend who orders chemicals for the school I used to teach at)

Also lay in a supply of iodine, either the tincture or in tablet form. It is a wonderful disinfectant, never goes off unless it gets overheated and the taste of iodine in water is a lot more pleasant than chlorine.

I remember iodine well from when I lived overseas as a kid.  We used it constantly for a variety of things.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 12:31:31 AM »

I do keep some animal antibiotics in the medical kit, though most of mine are for horses (we have a friendly vet who doesn't mind dishing out extras) not fish. Just remember to watch the dosage if you are stocking animal medicines. You don't weigh half a ton.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 10:54:05 PM »

I always keep it on the shelf, it also reported good for diabetics, though that is controversial.  I prefer Braggs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar to Distilled vinegar, I use distilled for clearning only.  Vinegar is also good to use to heal a rash.

I am a strong believer in homeopathy and have a huge home kit here... using it right now to keep my oldest dog going, I thought she was a goner last Thursday, I know it is still a matter of time, but natural remedies have rallied her.

I keep Elderberry with zinc on hand for onset of colds and sore throats, I keep Immune Action on hand for the same purpose and it, too, has helped with my dogs from time-to-time... My neighbors go down to Mexico for prescriptions every winter when they are here and I always have them pick up Amoxicillin for me to have on hand in case of emergency........ 

BTW back to homeopathy Arsenicum is outstanding for flu and bad food upsets, and there is nothing better for nausea than Nux Vomica - I keep a bottle in my nightstand and Aconite is for first onset of most anything...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:55:17 PM by Rapunzel »
“The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.” G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »
BTW for those not allergic to PVK you can order it online under BIRD BIOTIC........

and don't forget colloidal silver -- I have brewed my own for years, usually brew up a gallon at a time.
“The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.” G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 05:04:04 PM »
Has anyone tried the 'hear no evil' natural remedy earache drops? A lot of the earache drops for earache remedy are great. Hylands ear ache drops, Debrox earwax removal drops.

The candle stuff removing wax from the ear is a hoax.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf