Author Topic: The One Long Term Survival Tool Everyone Forgets  (Read 2462 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The One Long Term Survival Tool Everyone Forgets
« on: November 13, 2012, 02:50:02 AM »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
Re: The One Long Term Survival Tool Everyone Forgets
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
The electronic stuff requires too much power to justify its use for entertainment during an emergency. Think of card games (with real cards) or Yahtzee, Monopoly type board games. Real Books to read.....
Come to think of it, chasing a chicken for dinner can be real entertaining too ^-^
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:08:21 AM »
The electronic stuff requires too much power to justify its use for entertainment during an emergency. Think of card games (with real cards) or Yahtzee, Monopoly type board games. Real Books to read.....
Come to think of it, chasing a chicken for dinner can be real entertaining too ^-^

Ha - chasing chickens is hysterical, at least for those watching the chase!

I was worried about the power aspect since our basic SHTF plan is to dig in instead of bugging out, so I tested it. A 15 minute crank on the hand charger (no generator noise) powers a kindle for 6 to 8 hours (we have a couple of different generations of kindles and the later ones have better battery life) or the MP3 player and docking station for 2.

Real books are preferred, but they do take up a massive amount of space.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:09:05 AM by EC »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »
A kindle to look up home remedy medicianals is an excellent idea. Used sparingly of course.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:20:30 PM »
A kindle to look up home remedy medicianals is an excellent idea. Used sparingly of course.

I prefer a Tabors Cyclopedic Dictionary or Merck Manual in paper form. Just my preference.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

gogogodzilla

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 12:41:11 AM »
One can always get a 3/4/6/8 panel solar charger... connected to a 30-50,000 mAh external battery pack.

The charger keeps the external battery charged for use; and the external battery acts as a large reserve of power to recharge multiple electronic devices.

That'd be enough to charge up a netbook, tablet, kindle, and smart phone.  (well, the 50,000 mAh battery should).

The charger would run between $150-600 and the battery around $50-150.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:48:37 AM »
One can always get a 3/4/6/8 panel solar charger... connected to a 30-50,000 mAh external battery pack.

The charger keeps the external battery charged for use; and the external battery acts as a large reserve of power to recharge multiple electronic devices.

That'd be enough to charge up a netbook, tablet, kindle, and smart phone.  (well, the 50,000 mAh battery should).

The charger would run between $150-600 and the battery around $50-150.

We have a solar set-up which trickle charges three car batteries, but went for the hand cranked chargers as back-up. The sun is not a hugely reliable power source here in the UK.
Car batteries you can get for free if you ask around - most of the ones swapped out during a full service are perfectly fine and just need either topping with distilled water or new acid adding. Since the garage has to pay for disposal, they are usually more than happy to give them away. I get old tires the same way - use them to grow specialty potatoes in.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
A hand crank charger is dirt cheap, easily repaired if it breaks and takes up almost zero room

Where can you find this item?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »
Where can you find this item?

I have three (redundancy rules apply here) of these: http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/index.aspx?pageid=474753&prodid=3307984&gs=2

The build quality is decent though I'd prefer a metal crank to a plastic one, but it looks like an easy enough fix if the crank breaks. Charging is remarkably smooth with no noticeable voltage spikes and, at basically three inch by two inch and only 2 ounces they take up almost no room.

Usual note: not affiliated in any way with the maker or the vendor - just like the product.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:27:52 AM by EC »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf