Author Topic: Newsday Editorial: Elect Mitt Romney president of the United States  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Editorial: Elect Mitt Romney president of the United States
Newsday
November 3, 2012

Had Barack Obama done the job of president with the same passion and vision he displayed in seeking it, he would likely deserve another term. He did not.
Against this we must weigh Mitt Romney, an imperfect candidate but one who has a special track record too. From his creation of a vast personal fortune to his successful stewardship of the threatened Salt Lake City Olympics to his governing of Massachusetts, Romney's life is a tale of success after success, many of them achieved in difficult circumstances.

Romney's potential to put America back to work earns him our endorsement.

More ----> http://www.newsday.com/opinion/editorial-elect-mitt-romney-president-of-the-united-states-1.4182689
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Newsday Editorial: Elect Mitt Romney president of the United States
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:39:27 PM »
Newsday    :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:40:16 PM »
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »
I know, I know... I can't stop grinning!

I am totally stunned!

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »
I'm afraid I'm going to have to just leave my jaw on the floor for the time being; this is, what, the third or fourth time today it's been dropped!

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:37:42 PM »
Some more bon mots:

Obama's failure to accelerate the improvement of the economy is the dominant reason Romney is the right choice, but it's not the only one.  There are also the broken promises.

What Romney has actually shown in his political evolution is a willingness to represent the will of his constituencies.  We hope that means a lack of dogmatic zealotry, rather than a lack of leadership.

And they saved the best for last:

Although he was elected in a time of economic turmoil, Ronald Reagan's greatest achievement wasn't his tax plan or his economic theories.  His success came from emotional leadership, the ability to bring us together and reignite our confidence in the virtues and future of the nation.  This is what FDR did.  It is this that Barack Obama has failed to do.

Elected with a significant mandate and his party briefly in control of both houses of the Congress, Obama squandered the support of the nation.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »
Boy, that is about as lukewarm an endorsement as I've ever read.  It probably killed them to do it.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 10:40:09 PM »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »
I am strangly not at all concerned about Romney saying he will work with both parties.. I think when it comes to money he will be doggedly conservative and that is what my main concern is........ and after four years of mr "I WON" and even today still blaming Bush for everything it will be a massive relief for my psyche.

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »
Yup.  Now we just have to gear up for a massive backlash from an increasingly toxic democrat party and press.  Harry Reid will be an utter monster.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 10:44:46 PM »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 10:46:34 PM »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 11:06:34 PM »
You mean Harry "Che" Reid?

Terrific image, O.

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »
I disagree, O.  That image is way too flattering to Harry.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 11:20:34 PM »

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »
I can't say what I think about Harry.  I might inadvertently insult someone.  Suffice it to say it's brutal.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf