Author Topic: A late break in the presidential race?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline pjohns

A late break in the presidential race?
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:42:53 PM »
As a Republican, I have been looking for way for Gov. Romney to eke out 270 electoral votes (or even 269; an electoral tie would probably suffice), since it is the common wisdom that this is going to be very close.

Still, I am now beginning to wonder if there will be a late break in the numbers, turning this into an electoral-vote rout. 

One good precedent for this is the 1980 presidential election.  Very late in the game, it looked to be a real nail-biter.  However, by the time it was all over, Reagan had garneded 489 electoral votes to Carter's 49 electoral votes--about a ten-to-one ratio. 

Just a few days ago, on FNC, Democratic strategist Joe Trippi conceded that when the race is thrown wide open at the very end, the challenger is almost always the beneficiary of this sudden break.  (However, I do not wish to misrepresent Mr. Trippi; he also indicated that he thinks that probably will not happen this year.)

I am beginning to wonder, however, if it may happen.  And if it should happen, Gov. Romney would very likely be the recipient of the good news.

Thoughts?

Offline Rapunzel

Re: A late break in the presidential race?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »
If we win Michigan we don't need Ohio (WHAT is wrong with the Obama supporters there?).. If we win PA we don't need either MI or Ohio.... but isn't PA in the path of the storm?  Will that suppress the Philly dead voters?

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 07:50:41 PM »
Pjohns, I am with you! I am feeling a rout!

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »
Well Joe Geraghty at NRO got me a little concerned today..he said he was sure Mitt would win the popular vote but not so sure on the EV....this was Gore's wet dream...

Support the USO

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »
We all have information overload but in those moments when I have clear, rational thought, I am thinking that it will be a wave election.  Like a tsunami at sea, the swell is almost imperceptible, but once it reaches land - oh my - it just keeps pushing inland.  We need to watch less what the polls are saying from here on out - and watch the candidates.  I see a confident Romney with cash and a plan.  Obama is panicked, with less cash, and buying ads in... Minnesota!

Romney/Ryan wave.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
BTW... I just pray that Pennsylvania gets called early to everyone's surprise - for Romney.  It will be all over at that point.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »
BTW... I just pray that Pennsylvania gets called early to everyone's surprise - for Romney.  It will be all over at that point.

We should all pick a prayer time and pray for this! No I am not an FR prayer nazi, just think it can't hurt :patriot:

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
I have a feeling that PA, MI and WI  could easily go red if current trends continue. The solid upper Midwest that the left has taken for granted for so many years is crumbling under the weight of the recession.

COULD, however, is the operative word.

I don't really feel comfortable praying for specific results, because more often than not, even if they are answered, it's usually not the way you'd like them to be. But I do pray for the people of America to have clear minds and to remember the President's record, especially in the time he had free reign. I pray they have the mental capacity to understand what the President has done. And I hope that, given that, they realize how much of a disaster he has been for this country and will vote Romney/Ryan, as they're the only ones with a realistic chance of outdrawing the President.

Then I hope Romney and Ryan follow through on solving the difficult problems America faces over the next several years.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »

Then I hope Romney and Ryan follow through on solving the difficult problems America faces over the next several years.

I can't imagine and waking up and saying, "uh oh".

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 09:19:54 PM »
Pay attention to Libya.  Every time an Obama official opens their mouth and tells another whopper, someone leaks another official cable to the media to prove what a frickin' bald-faced liar they are.  The dam has so many leaks in it you would need a legion of fingers to plug them all, and I think the time is almost here when the whole thing explodes in Obama's face.

And then add in Joe Biden out there trying to whip up the faithful into a froth and making an even more complete ass of himself.  When is the last time in American politics that we had a Vice Premier the caliber of Joe Biden??  The guy is a national embarrassment and it is only the sheerest desperation that he is on the campaign trail at all, and Obama better hope like hell Joe doesn't drop dead from a energy drink caffeine-induced coronary before the election. 

It would be just like Joe Biden to get all wound up giving a speech live on TV, and have that artery feeding what's left of his cortex pop like an overdone breakfast sausage and drop him like a steer on some poor old Democrat lady in a wheelchair.

It would at least immortalize Joe on YouTube......

:beer:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf